THE DRAFT - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Seattle Seahawks

THE DRAFT

Moderator: Football Moderators

THE DRAFT

Postby Nfl Fan » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:51 am

Aah, the drama.

Sanchez? Munroe? Curry? Trade?

I really liked the idea of Sanchez for all the reasons. But something in my gut doesn't like it. Maybe it's the bust-factor. Maybe it's the aging Walter Jones. Maybe it's choosing between Sanchez and Curry. As I thought about it more, it struck me that the reasoning behind Sanchez coming out early might also be the reason we do the right thing and grab the best available OT. Sanchez came out largely because lots of other guys did not. Next year will see a much larger crop of quality QB's, so why reach and use such a high pick this year? We have the rare opportunity with an early pick to look to the future of the O-line. As much as I like Sanchez and as intriguing as he is, I say we either go Munroe/Curry or trade the pick.

I love all the chatter about Sanchez at 4, though... makes the pick more valuable and we quite possibly might really swing a great deal.
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: THE DRAFT

Postby SeaWolf » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:40 pm

If Curry is not available, I would accept any of the top OT or a trade. Please not Sanchez.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Nfl Fan » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:30 pm

I'm going to send a Christmas card to the Chiefs this year. ;-)

Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby biju » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:07 pm

Ok, it's hard to not be excited about this draft not only for the picks we made, but for the picks we didn't make.

And lots of love needs to go to our old school AFC West brethren for helping us...

First off, huge props must go to Tim Ruskell for not following the ridiculous logic of drafting Mark Sanchez. Not only did this not help us this year, but he's only going as high as he did because this was an extremely weak class of QBs. Make no mistake, we need to secure our QB of the future...but more on that later.

Having Aaron Curry fall to us in the #4 spot was a true Godsend. Thank you, Kansas City, for selecting a late-comer to the party in Tyson Jackson. Now I know I can't get too excited since he hasn't stepped foot on the field yet, but I think the low end projection for him was a young Julian Peterson. It turns out that trading Peterson to the Lions did exactly what the front office hoped it would do: give the Lions a reason to NOT draft Curry while giving us the ability to draft him if he fell to us.

Second, congrats to Ruskell again for not taking the guy we wanted with our 2.05 pick and instead grabbing Denver's #1 in 2010. This pick is going to be the pick that lands us that franchise QB that Mel Kiper thought we needed so badly this year. (For the record, I think Kiper is a moron.) This is the pick that likely lands us Sam Bradford, a kid who truly is worthy of a top 5 pick and all the money associated with it.

And who would have thought that Oakland and Crazy Al would have helped us out too? It turns out that Chicago had been considering Mike Mitchell with their 2nd round pick (or at least made Oakland believe this) which is why they took him there. In truth, the story semi checks out because Chicago traded out of the 2nd because "their guy wasn't there anymore". We traded back into the 2nd and grabbed the guy we wanted to take at 2.05 in Max Unger who will provide us with tremendous flexibility.

Our final decision to trade into round 3 was an act of a little desperation however. It looks like a lot of WRs started going quicker than we expected and we traded in to get our guy. Maybe we took him a little early and the price we paid was a little steep. But we did land Deon Butler and secured ourselves our new Bobby Engram, although much, much faster. I'm not sure if you guys have watched any tape on him, but this kid seems to have excellent hands and is a strong route runner--something rookies usually lack. Toss into the equation that Penn St. didn't exactly have strong QB play and I think Butler could thrive in a short completion type offense like the one we have. He probably won't play too much in 2009 (unless someone gets hurt, which is a real possibility) but his time will come in 2010 when we'll either need to release Nate Burleson or restructure his contract. Also, if Deion Branch doesn't stay healthy this year he'll receive his walking papers too--I don't think we'll release him prior to then.

In all, strictly from a players drafted perspective, it's hard to give Seattle more than a B grade. But in terms of moves and setting ourselves up for the future, this draft might go down as one of the best for the franchise period.

;-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Nfl Fan » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:14 pm

biju posts...

;-D

Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby WaCougMBS » Fri May 01, 2009 10:34 pm

Nfl Fan wrote:biju posts...

;-D

Seriously! Not much else to say ;-D
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Seattle Seahawks