Need a new coffee maker - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Need a new coffee maker

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Need a new coffee maker

Postby knapplc » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:26 am

Spo, I'm surprised you've had bad luck with a Krups. They're a pretty good brand, and everyone I know who uses one has good luck with it. If you were talking about any other brand, I would have recommended that you buy a Krups.

Have you considered contacting the company via their 800 number? 1-800-526-5377 gets you their customer service center. I would give that a shot, and see if they can suggest a simple fix. If not, maybe you just got a lemon and your next one will be better?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Metroid » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:44 pm

Just picked this Cuisinart model today....

...fully programmable, water fliter, and it has the stainless pot like I wanted. I looked at the Krupps and while it was a smidge cheaper it didn't come with the metal mesh filter like the Cuisinart, you had to buy it separately and that made it like 10 bucks more. Not a big difference but it also didn't come with the stainless pot so that made the decision easy. I had a 15% off coupon for Bed Bath and Beyond so that was good too. ;-D

Can't wait for tomorrow morning. :-B
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby confused_jake » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:11 pm

Metroid wrote:Just picked this Cuisinart model today....

...fully programmable, water fliter, and it has the stainless pot like I wanted. I looked at the Krupps and while it was a smidge cheaper it didn't come with the metal mesh filter like the Cuisinart, you had to buy it separately and that made it like 10 bucks more. Not a big difference but it also didn't come with the stainless pot so that made the decision easy. I had a 15% off coupon for Bed Bath and Beyond so that was good too. ;-D

Can't wait for tomorrow morning. :-B

Sounds/Looks pretty nice. I like using metal filters, a lot more convenient. Also the water filter is a big plus, filtered water is huge as far as making good coffee.
confused_jake
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Metroid » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:16 pm

confused_jake wrote:Sounds/Looks pretty nice. I like using metal filters, a lot more convenient. Also the water filter is a big plus, filtered water is huge as far as making good coffee.

Yeah metal filters is where it's at....and my girl is actually making coffee right now, looks like I don't have to wait till the morning. :-B
Metroid

Postby scottaa1 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:31 pm

That's the same one I have, just not w/ the stainless pot. FYI on the mesh liner, you'll still want to use a regular coffee filter in conjuction with the metal mesh liner, keeps the coffee grit-free. It's worth it ;-D
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Metroid » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:56 pm

scottaa1 wrote:That's the same one I have, just not w/ the stainless pot. FYI on the mesh liner, you'll still want to use a regular coffee filter in conjuction with the metal mesh liner, keeps the coffee grit-free. It's worth it ;-D

I know what you mean, I don't mind a little grit though. :-B

I actually don't have a problem with grit, I grind my own beans and just don't grind them up too fine. ;-D
Metroid

Postby knapplc » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:17 pm

The "grit" is like the sediment in a bottle of aged wine. It's an acceptable evil for a finely-brewed cup of joe. ;-)
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:20 pm

knapplc wrote:The "grit" is like the sediment in a bottle of aged wine. It's an acceptable evil for a finely-brewed cup of joe. ;-)

This man knows things. ;-D
Metroid

Postby joejlitz » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:30 am

If you can wait a few days, go to www.gevalia.com and get your self a free, durable, programmable, automatic shut-off 12-pot coffee maker.

All you have to do is sign up for their coffee of the month club. For $14.95, they send you the coffee post and two bags of coffee of your choice. Then, cancel your membership before they ship you the next bags of coffee. If I remember right, they claim the pot would sell for $80 or something.

I've done this twice already and it's a great pot.

Quasi-related: great tip for cleaning your coffee pot - two parts water and one part vinegar. Brew twelve cups of that (without coffee grounds, obviously) and then run another pot of just water to flush it out. ;-D
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby scottaa1 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:08 am

I tried that Gevalia thing before and they pulled a bait and switch on the coffee maker. Box showed up with a note saying 'we're out of the maker advertised, here's a different one that's just as good.' It was a Delonghi brand and I don't care for those at all. A Krups was what was offered.

And as for the silt, to each their own. I've had enough experiences where I've finished off the last of my commute coffee pulling in to work and ended up with a mouth full of silt. No thanks, I'll double up on the filter for a cleaner brew.

Edit to include that the coffee from Gevalia was pretty good. They shipped (and billed me for) stuff I didn't order afterwards though, so if you're going to go that route, be sure to cancel your membership right away.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk