Panthers Extend Delhomme's Contract - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Panthers Extend Delhomme's Contract

Moderator: Football Moderators

Panthers Extend Delhomme's Contract

Postby madaslives911 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:37 pm

Panthers extend QB Jake Delhomme through 2014
Panthers gave Delhomme a five-year, $42.5 million extension that keeps the 34-year-old under contract through the 2014 season.
Source: USA Today
Visit My Sigs Gallery

2008 Champion - Cafeholics Anonymous
2008 Champion - No Press Allowed
madaslives911
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Panthers Extend Delhomme's Contract

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:50 pm

Now that he has experience maybe he will do something with it. :-?
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby LS2throwed » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:07 pm

I'm simply dumb founded by this move. Matt Moore>Delhomme.

I cannot believe at his age, after how abysmal he was in the playoff game, that they decide to "reward" him to a long term deal...I get that it clears cap space in the short term, but it makes no sense to me at all.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby mattb47 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:12 am

LS2throwed wrote:I'm simply dumb founded by this move. Matt Moore>Delhomme.

I cannot believe at his age, after how abysmal he was in the playoff game, that they decide to "reward" him to a long term deal...I get that it clears cap space in the short term, but it makes no sense to me at all.

I don't think Matt Moore is better than him but I'm pretty confused by this move as well....it's not like he finished the past season strong or anything....and a 5 year deal for a 34 year old QB? Really?
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:23 am

:-S did they recently hire Matt Millen?
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bungle613 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:54 am

If I played in the NFL I would run and get Delhommes agent. I can't find a full rundown on the contract but it is reported that $20 mil of it is guranteed which is ridiculous for a 34 y/o "good" QB.

I realize Carolina is up against the wall for cap room but paying this reported deal to save some cap room is bad business.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby moochman » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:06 am

You had me at "It's simply dumb"

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:21 pm

Matt Moore? Seriously? You guys are seriously underrating Delhomme year. The guy was coming off a major surgery in 2008 and you have to give him at least the benefit of the doubt considering how far he took them.

Jake Delhomme played horribly in the playoff game last year, I get that. He was injured in 2007. But outside of that, guy has been a pretty damn good QB over the years. In today's NFL it's all about what have you done for me lately, but Carolina won 12 games last year! Delhomme's had some bad games here and there, but he has also has had some good games here and there and he usually manages the game very well. Bottomline, the guy is a winner. Wanna go back to 2007 and see what happens when you don't have an "average" guy in there at QB? Matt Moore looked horrific trying to run that offense. Delhomme on the other hand has a 49-30 record as the starter and they have made the playoffs and won at least 11 games in 3 of the 5 years he was the starting QB. He also has a 5-3 playoff record and once took his team to the Super Bowl on his back. He has turned both Mushin Muhammad and Steve Smith into the best statistical WRs in the NFL in different years. Delhomme is a baller.

Question the guys age and his injury history, but don't question his talent. By locking up Delhomme, the Panther's have an answer at QB for at least the next 2 or 3 years with an option for a few more after that. And at this pay rate, they are getting an above average NFL QB, perhaps even a "good" QB (when healthy) at a bargain rate. $20 million guaranteed for a starting QB is chump change. A 5 year $40 million dollar contract for a starting QB is a joke. Teams WISH they could land a semi-decent QB that can lead their teams to the playoffs for that kind of money. You see average NFL guards get that type of money.

And now Carolina doesn't have to pickup an expensive rookie QB in the draft this year at least. They've locked up Delhomme and now have the luxury to groom a guy like Matt Moore to see if he turns into Matt Schaub. Or will he be the next Chris Simms? Kyle Orton? Who knows. And most importantly, Steve Smith will have someone in town who can get him the damn ball. Teams have to double Smith when Delhomme is in and he still puts up his 100 yards per game like clockwork. Without Steve Smith commanding those double teams, there is no two-headed monster at RB in Carolina.
Last edited by Kensat30 on Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby LS2throwed » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:24 pm

Kensat30 wrote:

Matt Moore? Seriously?

Jake Delhomme played horrible in the playoff game last year. He was injured in 2007. Outside of that, guy has been a pretty damn good QB. He's had some bad games here and there, but he has also has had some good games here and there. Bottomline, the guy is a winning QB. Guy has a 49-30 record as the starter and they have made the playoffs and won at least 11 games in 3 of the 5 years he was the starting QB. He also has a 5-3 playoff record and once took his team to the Super Bowl on his back.

Question the guys age and his injury history, but don't question his talent. By locking up Delhomme, the Panther's have an answer at QB for at least the next 2 or 3 years with an option for a few more after that. And at this pay rate, they are getting an above average NFL QB, perhaps even a "good" QB (when healthy) at a bargain rate. $20 million guaranteed for a starting QB is chump change, you see average NFL guards get that type of money. Now Carolina doesn't have to pickup and expensive rookie QB and can continue to groom Matt Moore to see if he turns into Kyle Orton? Chris Simms? Matt Schaub? Who knows. At least Steve Smith will have someone in town who can get him the ball so he can put up his 100 yards per game like clockwork.

I wasn't being serious with the Matt Moore comment, but honestly he's not bad, I don't see any reason why you don't let Delhomme play out his deal and see what Moore offers you because he's always looked good in limited opportunities...You don't know if you have another Tony Romo or average back-up until he plays.

I'm not questioning his talent, I'm questioning the contract amount...The way he collapsed in that playoff game, and a year older, doesn't give them a realistic shot at making a run IMHO, but to call this a "bargain rate", don't know about all that.
Last edited by LS2throwed on Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:28 pm

LS2throwed wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:

Matt Moore? Seriously?

Jake Delhomme played horrible in the playoff game last year. He was injured in 2007. Outside of that, guy has been a pretty damn good QB. He's had some bad games here and there, but he has also has had some good games here and there. Bottomline, the guy is a winning QB. Guy has a 49-30 record as the starter and they have made the playoffs and won at least 11 games in 3 of the 5 years he was the starting QB. He also has a 5-3 playoff record and once took his team to the Super Bowl on his back.

Question the guys age and his injury history, but don't question his talent. By locking up Delhomme, the Panther's have an answer at QB for at least the next 2 or 3 years with an option for a few more after that. And at this pay rate, they are getting an above average NFL QB, perhaps even a "good" QB (when healthy) at a bargain rate. $20 million guaranteed for a starting QB is chump change, you see average NFL guards get that type of money. Now Carolina doesn't have to pickup and expensive rookie QB and can continue to groom Matt Moore to see if he turns into Kyle Orton? Chris Simms? Matt Schaub? Who knows. At least Steve Smith will have someone in town who can get him the ball so he can put up his 100 yards per game like clockwork.

I wasn't being serious with the Matt Moore comment, but honestly he's not bad, I don't see any reason why you don't let Delhomme play out his deal and see what Moore offers you because he's always looked good in limited opportunities...You don't know if you have another Tony Romo or average back-up until he plays.

I'm not questioning his talent, I'm questioning the contract amount...The way he collapsed in that playoff game, and a year older, don't give them a realistic shot at making a run IMHO, but to call this a "bargain rate", don't know about all that.

Find a QB with comparable talent to Delhomme and I will look up his existing contract data. I suspect Delhomme's contract will look like a bargain if you look at it in today's dollars. You have to remember that Delhomme's contract would have expired after this season, it is a contract in 2009 dollars, and factor in that you will need to pay a lot of upfront money to get an equivalent QB.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Next

Return to Football Talk