Panthers Extend Delhomme's Contract - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Panthers Extend Delhomme's Contract

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Panthers Extend Delhomme's Contract

Postby D3C4K » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:40 pm

Wonder if Jake gave a portion of his guaranteed money to David Carr... }:-)
QB - C. Newton
WR - L. Fitzgerald
WR - S. Smith (Car)
RB - M. Turner
RB - C. Johnson
TE - A. Gates
W/R/T - B. Wells
K - S. Janikowski
DEF - NYJ

BN - M. Ryan
BN - J. Battle
BN - P. Thomas
BN - J. Ringer
BN - V. Cruz
BN - B. Pettigrew
BN - SF D
D3C4K
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby LS2throwed » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:54 pm

Kensat30 wrote:
Find a QB with comparable talent to Delhomme and I will look up his existing contract data. I suspect Delhomme's contract will look like a bargain if you look at it in today's dollars. You have to remember that Delhomme's contract would have expired after this season, it is a contract in 2009 dollars, and factor in that you will need to pay a lot of upfront money to get an equivalent QB.

It's not just about comparable talent, I mean the guy is 34 years old, not 30, what sense is there in giving a 34 year old QB, coming off a season in which he threw 15 TD's, and 12 INT's, and threw 5 picks in their first playoff game last year? He didn't just have a bad game, he completely fell apart in a game they could have won, so what you should do is let him play out his final year on his deal.

If you want to re-sign him after that so be it, they didn't have to rush to meet some deadline, and for a guy coming off an average season I don't see the need...I get it cleared immediate cap room, but 20 million guaranteed? It's a stretch calling him "above average", his last season was average at best and he's one year older.

I wouldn't be surprised if Matt Moore wasn't the better QB next year at all, he looked good years ago on the Cowboys and many thought he had potential to be a starter, Jerry decided to get cute and try and slide him to waiver to get on the PS and he never made it...Delhomme could play 09, and Moore would be more then ready to start in 2010, then you see what you get and you draft someone, that would seem to make more sense then giving up more money to a guy that I don't think deserves it.

When Romo took over for Bledsoe, he was an undrafted guy taking over for a former #1 overall QB(who also happened to be 34 years old at the time) and nobody had a clue who Romo was, and actually Bledsoe's last season was much better then Delhomme's last, 3600 yds, 23 TD's, 17 INT's...I think there will come a time next year where Delhomme's play may drop off, and he may start to struggle, now you don't have the opportunity to pull him for Moore and see if he gives your team a spark, with this deal you have to stick with Delhomme through thick and thin, and I think that's going to be risky business.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:30 pm

LS2throwed wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:
Find a QB with comparable talent to Delhomme and I will look up his existing contract data. I suspect Delhomme's contract will look like a bargain if you look at it in today's dollars. You have to remember that Delhomme's contract would have expired after this season, it is a contract in 2009 dollars, and factor in that you will need to pay a lot of upfront money to get an equivalent QB.

It's not just about comparable talent, I mean the guy is 34 years old, not 30, what sense is there in giving a 34 year old QB, coming off a season in which he threw 15 TD's, and 12 INT's, and threw 5 picks in their first playoff game last year? He didn't just have a bad game, he completely fell apart in a game they could have won, so what you should do is let him play out his final year on his deal.

How many TDs did Matt Ryan throw for in the regular season? Fact is, you don't get the opportunity to throw for many TDs when you have one of the best running games in the NFL. Carolina rushed for 30 TDS last year and Delhomme only attempted 30+ passes three times the entire year. Carolina ranked dead last in pass attempts in 2008. Delhomme's INT stats were also inflated due to a couple bad games. He finished the year with 12 INTs but 60% of those INTs came in two games (7/12) and Carolina won one of those games.

I'd rather have a guy who has the occasional 3 or 4 INT game rather than a guy who is throwing one or two week in and week out and struggles to move the ball down the field. I'll admit that the playoff game last year was terrible, but I believe that was probably the single worst game of his career. But when Delhomme was out in 2007, every QB that stepped on the field had a game like that... Bottomline, Carolina won 12 games in 2008. Why change what is working? Why is age an issue when your guy just played a full 16 game season coming off an elbow surgery? How is $40 million over 5 years a lot of money for a QB?

Would Carolina be better served to let Delhomme play out his contract and then see what kind of garbage is out there to pick up out of FA? Or would you rather they move up this year and entered the Sanchez lottery or more likely the Freeman consolation?
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby LS2throwed » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:54 pm

Kensat30 wrote:
LS2throwed wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:

How many TDs did Matt Ryan throw for in the regular season? Fact is, you don't get the opportunity to throw for many TDs when you have one of the best running games in the NFL. Carolina rushed for 30 TDS last year and Delhomme only attempted 30+ passes three times the entire year. Carolina ranked dead last in pass attempts in 2008. Delhomme's INT stats were also inflated due to a couple bad games. He finished the year with 12 INTs but 60% of those INTs came in two games (7/12) and Carolina won one of those games.

I'd rather have a guy who has the occasional 3 or 4 INT game rather than a guy who is throwing one or two week in and week out and struggles to move the ball down the field. I'll admit that the playoff game last year was terrible, but I believe that was probably the single worst game of his career. But when Delhomme was out in 2007, every QB that stepped on the field had a game like that... Bottomline, Carolina won 12 games in 2008. Why change what is working? Why is age an issue when your guy just played a full 16 game season coming off an elbow surgery? How is $40 million over 5 years a lot of money for a QB?

Would Carolina be better served to let Delhomme play out his contract and then see what kind of garbage is out there to pick up out of FA? Or would you rather they move up this year and entered the Sanchez lottery or more likely the Freeman consolation?

Why would we want to compare what Delhomme did with a rookie QB in his very first year running an offense, they probably don't even have Ryan going through the entire playbook yet...Carolina won 12 games because of defense and a running game, did you see Delhomme play any? His "best" plays were when he threw the ball up to Steve Smith with no accuracy what so ever and prayed he went up and got the ball for him, they have a system in place where a QB could manage this team to 10 wins without a problem.

Age is an issue because when a guy is 34, coming off an average season, how much light do you see at the end of the tunnel, he'll be 35 when his original contract was going to be up which is even older...That's why that's alot of money for a QB, because he's not worth it, it may be fair market value but I certainly don't think he's worth that.

Furthermore, whens the last time a QB at his age got this type of contract? If Jeff Garcia was given this money somewhere everyone would say how stupid it was...Yes it would of been better served to let him play out his contract, reason? You can see what type of level he plays at, and if his play drops off at the end of the year you don't have to bother, if he DOES play well give him the deal anyway...Nothing says if they didn't do this now, they couldn't next year, I'm just saying know what your paying for.

They don't have to make a move for Freeman or Sanchez, see how Moore looks in pre-season, maybe if Delhomme plays bad in 09 he plays a few games and looks good, then you don't have to bother, you don't have to draft a QB in the 1st round to have a starter...Besides I think if they waited they could of gotten him way cheaper at 35 yrs old and still had the same plan in place.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer