League Jibber Jabber - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Horse Traders

League Jibber Jabber

Moderators: Kareighuis, Cowboys 4 life, Football Moderators

Re: 2009 Season and Beyond discussion

Postby LS2throwed » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:34 pm

People against blind bidding were instinctive and redfoxx primarily, usually a few others but those were the main 2 not up for the change. Not sure why, but I feel like were exstinct with rolling but w/e.


On Forsett I thought that drop was an accident, and would have probably put him back onto his team. This is exactly why rolling waivers is lame. So 1 lucky team already decides they get a blessing in disguise, when if it was blind bidding everyone had a shot at picking up a talented RB, and you would see all kinds of crazy bids for dollar amounts all over the place trying to get him. Thus if someone overbids, so be it, but they can't make anymore claims the rest of the year. Just stupid all around to me but if someone had actually made a compelling case for Rolling Waivers it be different.


Bungle is a better man/commish then me though. In the flea league I commish, I just changed it to blind bidding without even asking :-b I mean it's not like most didn't ask for it anyway, but sometimes it's hard to keep all 12 managers happy, and I'm pretty sure the guys who don't want blind bidding would end up liking it after a year of it. You actually end up getting more players that way.
Image
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Posts: 5373
Joined: 21 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Arlington, Texas

Re: 2009 Season and Beyond discussion

Postby bungle613 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:16 pm

Will comment on everything shortly but just an FYI, I pm'd Joey immediately asking him about the Forsett drop. Have not heard back from him.
Image
Image
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 10988
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 31 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: straight ahead, hang a left, look down

Re: 2009 Season and Beyond discussion

Postby bungle613 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:09 pm

stomperrob wrote:
bungle613 wrote:
aaawall91 wrote:I say we put it up to an offical vote.

It appears that we can make league changes based on a simply majority.


I don't like 7-5 votes. Just means you may piss off half the league. The original rules and regs was not mine or really ours. There are lots of things that should be changed but wiht having to jump in literally last minute last year to save the league and then with all the Cafe business this year I just haven't had time.

I have no issues with doing polls for any topic but it needs to be a minimum of 8-4, preferably 9-3 to pass.

I've asked this a couple of times, anyone want to commish this league? Or at the least, co-commish?


Just playing devil's advocate, isn't a simple majority sufficient - if 7-5 isn't enough to pass, then ya piss off 7 and make 5 happy and the minority gets to rule and the majority are unhappy???


Not when changing existing rules. If we are implementing something new and the majority of 7 want it, then I am more comfortable with a 7 vote. When proposing to change something that is already in existence then squeaking through with 7 people wanting to change but 5 wanting to remain the status quo then imo, it is a bad decision.
Image
Image
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 10988
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 31 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: straight ahead, hang a left, look down

Re: 2009 Season and Beyond discussion

Postby bungle613 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:09 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote:I can say I would be weary about blind bidding but not because I don't like it. More because I have never done it and don't really understand it. I kind of get the point that I have to put money out to get a player but I only have so much. I fear I'm going to go after someone than have a key player go down not leaving me enough money to go after the replacement.


I can help co-commish if everyone is ok with a rookie to the league doing it. My compensation would be Forsett :-D


Part 1...ok by me.

Part 2 Not ok by me.
Image
Image
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 10988
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 31 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: straight ahead, hang a left, look down

Re: 2009 Season and Beyond discussion

Postby Kareighuis » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:22 pm

bungle613 wrote:
Cowboys 4 life wrote:I can say I would be weary about blind bidding but not because I don't like it. More because I have never done it and don't really understand it. I kind of get the point that I have to put money out to get a player but I only have so much. I fear I'm going to go after someone than have a key player go down not leaving me enough money to go after the replacement.

I can help co-commish if everyone is ok with a rookie to the league doing it. My compensation would be Forsett :-D


Part 1...ok by me.

Part 2 Not ok by me.


I'd be willing to co-commish. I've been running a league for nearly 5 years now.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I want a prehensile sucker tail, and I don't want to wait fifty million years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Posts: 3627
(Past Year: 3)
Joined: 14 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 2009 Season and Beyond discussion

Postby stomperrob » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:00 pm

bungle613 wrote:
stomperrob wrote:
bungle613 wrote:
I don't like 7-5 votes. Just means you may piss off half the league. The original rules and regs was not mine or really ours. There are lots of things that should be changed but wiht having to jump in literally last minute last year to save the league and then with all the Cafe business this year I just haven't had time.

I have no issues with doing polls for any topic but it needs to be a minimum of 8-4, preferably 9-3 to pass.

I've asked this a couple of times, anyone want to commish this league? Or at the least, co-commish?


Just playing devil's advocate, isn't a simple majority sufficient - if 7-5 isn't enough to pass, then ya piss off 7 and make 5 happy and the minority gets to rule and the majority are unhappy???


Not when changing existing rules. If we are implementing something new and the majority of 7 want it, then I am more comfortable with a 7 vote. When proposing to change something that is already in existence then squeaking through with 7 people wanting to change but 5 wanting to remain the status quo then imo, it is a bad decision.


Fair enough! ;-D ;-D
Image
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13579
(Past Year: 168)
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Steeler Nation!!!

Re: 2009 Season and Beyond discussion

Postby LS2throwed » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:03 pm

I think we have a few people here who can clearly and easily explain blind bidding to guys who haven't tried it. It is true if you overbid early and often you may run out of money, but honestly there shouldn't be any "well I had an injury so now I'm screwed because I Don't have money to put in a claim" when we have so many roster spots available. I think were up to or close to 30, you should be prepared in terms of depth for injuries without having to make any claims so that shouldn't be a problem.


That's also the benefit, some guys run out eraly, some guys don't use all their money, it's more strategy, and makes it interesting at the end of the year.
Image
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Posts: 5373
Joined: 21 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Arlington, Texas

Re: 2009 Season and Beyond discussion

Postby Instinctive » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:51 pm

I've done blind bidding before, both in and out of a contract league, and in both cases, it simply made the rich richer.

The poeple who didn't have a feel for it never really got a feel for it, and the people who did (not to brag, but me haha) got a league championship or three grabbing guys like Miles Austin because we knew about how much players were worth and some people would fall in love with a guy and get screwed.

The Zealots system does it best---auctions in the offseason, awarding the most money based on every single week's win/loss/scores to the worst teams, and then waivers in-season that all cost a small amount of the money. I'd be all for that.

I'm not "totally against it" here, but I am against it with a few reservations, e.g. Blind Bid money should roll over year to year, for one
Fourth and Inches (Dynasty)
Zealots: 4, 39, 56
Cafe Very Special Forces (Dynasty)
General Manager Wannabees
Frozen Tundra (Dynasty)
Instinctive
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 1243
Joined: 12 Aug 2007
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 2009 Season and Beyond discussion

Postby Kareighuis » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:39 pm

Instinctive wrote:I've done blind bidding before, both in and out of a contract league, and in both cases, it simply made the rich richer.

The poeple who didn't have a feel for it never really got a feel for it, and the people who did (not to brag, but me haha) got a league championship or three grabbing guys like Miles Austin because we knew about how much players were worth and some people would fall in love with a guy and get screwed.

The Zealots system does it best---auctions in the offseason, awarding the most money based on every single week's win/loss/scores to the worst teams, and then waivers in-season that all cost a small amount of the money. I'd be all for that.

I'm not "totally against it" here, but I am against it with a few reservations, e.g. Blind Bid money should roll over year to year, for one


I've done blind bidding for a number of years also, and haven't experienced the rich becoming richer becomes of it. Instead, the rich tend to become rich becomes of other factors (like superior knowledge) and they use it when making their bids. Those who know less struggle regardless of the waiver system. That's my experience.

I don't know what "the zealots system" is. Please elaborate.

What would be the purpose and advantage(s) of rolling over blind bid money?
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I want a prehensile sucker tail, and I don't want to wait fifty million years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Posts: 3627
(Past Year: 3)
Joined: 14 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 2009 Season and Beyond discussion

Postby thriftyrocker » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:10 am

Instinctive wrote:The poeple who didn't have a feel for it never really got a feel for it, and the people who did (not to brag, but me haha) got a league championship or three grabbing guys like Miles Austin because we knew about how much players were worth and some people would fall in love with a guy and get screwed.


I don't think you have to protect anyone. Chances are the next Miles Austin is already owned because the roster size is what 360 players? Miles Austin was never dropped in this league.

I still don't have a feel for rolling waivers, obviously. I had #1 priority and didn't use it.

I don't have a feel for blind bid either. In one league where we started blind bid last year, I spent my whole budget on Ryan Moats.
Image
thriftyrocker
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Posts: 7323
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 18 May 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Bala Cynwyd, PA

PreviousNext

Return to Horse Traders

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 21:02 hours
(and 43 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact