League Jibber Jabber - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Horse Traders

League Jibber Jabber

Moderators: Kareighuis, Cowboys 4 life, Football Moderators

Re: League Jibber Jabber

Postby thriftyrocker » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:45 am

Instinctive wrote:
stomperrob wrote:Yeh, we need a ruling on the 2013 draft picks - as far as I understood, as long as we are in the 2011 season, 2013 is 2 years away???
:-?

Do you have that serious an issue with it?

And after the draft is over, we are in the 2012 season. Which would make the 2013 season one year away...

Owner turnover doesn't happen until the offseason (almost exclusively). Clearly the intent of the rule is to not screw new owners. 2011 Offseason and 2011 Season are part of the same year, and you cannot trade the picks til next "year". No 2012 picks were traded in season last year. You can start trading 2013 picks on Jan 1, 2012, IMO.

You did the same thing last year, and had to restructure the deal by swapping back the 2012 pick for Deon Butler, so i think you should have known you couldn't do this deal, and it's tiresome to have you try and force it down everyone's throat at this point. The rules are the rules if you want to change them let's have a vote.
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:48 am

Instinctive wrote:
stomperrob wrote:
iamgregg wrote:
It's kinda confusing. I think what Instinctive is try to say is that once the draft is over, the immediate picks we trade for are 2012, therefore 2013 are one year into the future.

I understand what he is saying, but I'm saying that is not correct.

So when is the earliest one could trade a 2013 pick? January 1st 2012? The conclusion of 2011 picks would seem intuitive, no?

Just prior to the start of the 2012 draft as far as I have always understood it. We really need the Comishes to interpret this as to what is correct.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Instinctive » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:58 am

thriftyrocker wrote:
Instinctive wrote:
stomperrob wrote:Yeh, we need a ruling on the 2013 draft picks - as far as I understood, as long as we are in the 2011 season, 2013 is 2 years away???
:-?

Do you have that serious an issue with it?

And after the draft is over, we are in the 2012 season. Which would make the 2013 season one year away...

Owner turnover doesn't happen until the offseason (almost exclusively). Clearly the intent of the rule is to not screw new owners. 2011 Offseason and 2011 Season are part of the same year, and you cannot trade the picks til next "year". No 2012 picks were traded in season last year. You can start trading 2013 picks on Jan 1, 2012, IMO.

You did the same thing last year, and had to restructure the deal by swapping back the 2012 pick for Deon Butler, so i think you should have known you couldn't do this deal, and it's tiresome to have you try and force it down everyone's throat at this point. The rules are the rules if you want to change them let's have a vote.

I'm in enough leagues that I didn't recall that happening with Butler at all - but it looks like it did.

Like I said, we can try to rework it if enough people make a big thing about it. One way or another, I think we need an interpretation on when a "year" is. I kind of assumed that because it was a football thing, the year went with the football seasons. Because January 1st 2012 is an awful date to declare 2013 draft pick to suddenly be tradable.

It should either be after this rookie draft, or after this season. I think we ought to clarify which it is.
Fourth and Inches (Dynasty)
Zealots: 4, 39, 56
Cafe Very Special Forces (Dynasty)
General Manager Wannabees
Frozen Tundra (Dynasty)
Instinctive
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafeholic

Postby The Lung » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:01 am

Cowboys 4 life wrote:3.10 Kyle Rudolph - TE, Minn

Grrr...I was trying to trade back into the draft to grab him. :-[

Nice pick. ;-D
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:25 am

For example - it wouldn't matter if a guy took over an abandoned team at the end of the 2011 season or just prior to the 2012 season, he would still be facing 2 years with out draft picks if they were traded away right now.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Instinctive » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:31 am

stomperrob wrote:For example - it wouldn't matter if a guy took over an abandoned team at the end of the 2011 season or just prior to the 2012 season, he would still be facing 2 years with out draft picks if they were traded away right now.

And if that's the ruling, then that's the ruling.

I just think it's not possible to say that the end of the 2011-2012 season or the beginning of the calendar year of 2012, is where picks can suddenly be traded.

Those dates are still prior to the rookie draft too, meaning that situation can still occur. So we need to either make them available at the start of the season, one season before they are usable, or at the start of the rookie draft - i.e. 2013 picks can be traded when 2012 draft starts.

Anything in between doesn't really make much sense. It's got to be at the end of this draft, or at the start of the next draft, that the picks become tradable.
Fourth and Inches (Dynasty)
Zealots: 4, 39, 56
Cafe Very Special Forces (Dynasty)
General Manager Wannabees
Frozen Tundra (Dynasty)
Instinctive
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafeholic

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:03 pm

Im one of the commishes. If its me personally I dont really care that someone trades a 2013 but I do know exactly why the rule is in there and I agree with it. Owners change every year. We had to fill one this year and if one team has depleted the future picks it makes it very tough to fill.

The way I interpret the rules is that you cant trade 2013 until the 2011 season is over. At that time it becomes 2012.

I have a pm out to Kareig and he hasnt read it yet. Usually he is on every night
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Kareighuis » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:53 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote:Im one of the commishes. If its me personally I dont really care that someone trades a 2013 but I do know exactly why the rule is in there and I agree with it. Owners change every year. We had to fill one this year and if one team has depleted the future picks it makes it very tough to fill.

The way I interpret the rules is that you cant trade 2013 until the 2011 season is over. At that time it becomes 2012.

I have a pm out to Kareig and he hasnt read it yet. Usually he is on every night

Agreed. I may have muddied the waters here a little cause I indicated it was possible for 2013 picks to be traded in a PM with Instinctive. A closer reading of the rules shows it's not.

Instinctive, aaawall, please do a trade to swap the players/picks back. Thanks.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I want a prehensile sucker tail, and I don't want to wait fifty million years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:17 am

The Lung wrote:
Cowboys 4 life wrote:3.10 Kyle Rudolph - TE, Minn

Grrr...I was trying to trade back into the draft to grab him. :-[

Nice pick. ;-D

I had to look 3 x to make sure he wasnt taken then I gave it a shot with Chris to get this pick and got lucky.

I knew who i wanted before the trade was made. B-)

Tell you what it makes me much more secure to hear you wanted him. Call it salt in the wonds But I call it confirmation that my pick was good given a solid FF player wanted the same guy. If it was FFMaven that said that I would have 2nd guessed it but now I know i made a good pick. ;-D
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby thriftyrocker » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:25 am

Seems like TEs are always undervalued. We focus so much on which 5th Rd RB has a 1 in 10 chance to start in the next 2 years, and let guys like Gronk drop to 4.1. I liked Kendricks more than Rudolph this year but Rudolph is great value this late.
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

PreviousNext

Return to Horse Traders