League Jibber Jabber - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Horse Traders

League Jibber Jabber

Moderators: Kareighuis, Cowboys 4 life, Football Moderators

Re: League Jibber Jabber

Postby thriftyrocker » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:33 pm

maybe a happy medium is requiring everyone to stay within the 30 player roster limit from now on.
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kareighuis » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:46 pm

There was a poll to change how many rounds in the draft. When most had already voted, Thrifty proposed, "[h]ow bout doing it unlimited rounds (pick til no one wants to pick anymore)?" A number expressed support for the idea. When I added the idea to the poll, it quickly showed support. LS2 suggested- "That's how it was done in 1 of my prior leagues. Guys just state "pass", or continue to pick until everyone has picked." I also agree with Stomper, who said- "if the draft is unlimited, it could drag on into the pre-season when WW gems sometimes come to light".

Ideally, in my mind, these pre-waiver adds would have been terminated before real FA started. But, the CBA suddenly got resolved and free agency started in a rather blink of an eye. Hence, I'd prefer to end this before the Friday 6pm Eastern start point for official signings/trades.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I want a prehensile sucker tail, and I don't want to wait fifty million years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby The Lung » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:34 am

aaawall91 wrote:
Instinctive wrote:It should keep going. That was clearly the idea behind it. If we want to change it for next year, fine, but some f us made draft and trade decisions (and cut decisions) based on the fact that there would be a chance to fill out the roster through this pre-waiver thing.

I don't believe I was the only one with this understanding.

I agree with this.

I don't see why we would scrap it. We are in no danger of not being ready for the season, as it stands today we could play if needed.

Those who passed knew full well what the impacts of that decision was.

For the record, this was my understanding too. It probably doesn't matter in the long run since I surely would have dropped most of those guys anyway when roster cuts were due, but it still surprised me when all of a sudden it was "That's it, we're done now" after two rounds. I'm fine with that and am in no way suggesting that we keep going, only that it doesn't seem like what we originally agreed upon.

I am really enjoying the amount of trade activity and expertise in this league. I really like my team and can't wait to see how I stack up against the impressive competition here. I'm the new guy here and I don't want to rock the boat, because I am really enjoying everything so far. And while the commissioners are doing one heck of a job with almost every other league issue, at times it does feel like we're winging it and ad libbing as we go. That's my $0.02, nothing more, and should be interpreted as a little helpful suggestion from somebody who just wants to see a very good league get even better. ;-D
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby Kareighuis » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:34 pm

The Lung wrote:For the record, this was my understanding too. It probably doesn't matter in the long run since I surely would have dropped most of those guys anyway when roster cuts were due, but it still surprised me when all of a sudden it was "That's it, we're done now" after two rounds. I'm fine with that and am in no way suggesting that we keep going, only that it doesn't seem like what we originally agreed upon.

I am really enjoying the amount of trade activity and expertise in this league. I really like my team and can't wait to see how I stack up against the impressive competition here. I'm the new guy here and I don't want to rock the boat, because I am really enjoying everything so far. And while the commissioners are doing one heck of a job with almost every other league issue, at times it does feel like we're winging it and ad libbing as we go. That's my $0.02, nothing more, and should be interpreted as a little helpful suggestion from somebody who just wants to see a very good league get even better. ;-D

I absolutely appreciate the feedback, Lung. I love this league too, which is why I fought so hard to keep it alive. In FF and at work, I'm not in the habit of being a tyrant and have attempted to act in accord with majority opinion. It's been hard to divine the majority view on some of the significant changes we've considered this offseason.
In this case, I thought it was fairly clear there was strong enough support for there to be an unending draft, teams declaring pass as they saw fit. However, despite that and the clearly laid out instructions at the beginning of each Pre-Waiver Add thread, there seemed to be confusion on the exact procedure of this. Ideally, I'd have the time to police this, but life has thrown me a curve-ball and I'm trying my best to handle it without losing too much FF time.

My preference, like that of what some expressed here, is to keep going till noone wants to add anyone. I'm hoping trying a round three (and more as needed) won't create confusion as we experienced previously. The rules-
This'll be an orderly process-
1) 24 hour clock.
2) you don't want to pick, post "pass".
3) once you pass, you are passed that pick and all future pre-waiver picks during this process. You can't pick again, until the waivers start.
4) if you allow the clock to expire, you are passed that pick and all future pre-waiver picks.

If you see the person ahead of you is one minute over and hasn't picked, don't waste time. Be cutthroat. Make your pick, PM the next person. If you see you're OTC, make your pick and PM the next person. If you've missed your 24 hour window but the next person hasn't picked, too bad. Your time is up and you forsake all future pre-waiver picks. For the sake of simplicity, pre-waiver picks are not tradeable.

If you have any questions about this process, please don't hesitate to PM or post. I'd prefer 25 PMs to more heartache over this.

Pre-Waiver Adds Round Three

Cheers.

Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby LS2throwed » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:08 pm

The Lung wrote:
For the record, this was my understanding too. It probably doesn't matter in the long run since I surely would have dropped most of those guys anyway when roster cuts were due, but it still surprised me when all of a sudden it was "That's it, we're done now" after two rounds. I'm fine with that and am in no way suggesting that we keep going, only that it doesn't seem like what we originally agreed upon.

You've done a good job since taking over that team and putting your own signature to it and I agree with all of those moves. You could of easily sat on that team but you've made quite a few big moves and it actually looks better now then when you started. Which is ironic because so did Thrifty & Aaawall. You guys should have fun in that division :-]
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Instinctive » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:34 pm

I'm gunning for you in our division LS2 - better not spend too much time looking at those other divisions!
Fourth and Inches (Dynasty)
Zealots: 4, 39, 56
Cafe Very Special Forces (Dynasty)
General Manager Wannabees
Frozen Tundra (Dynasty)
Instinctive
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafeholic

Postby Kareighuis » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:28 pm

Alright peeps-
1) Make certain you have a roster spot before requesting a player on the Pre-Waiver Adds.
2) Rosters were temporarily expanded to 34. They will be returned to the standard 30 limit for the 1st game of preseason, Thursday, August 11th, 7:30pm US eastern. Please make any cuts (or trades) necessary in time for kickoff of those 1st games.

Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Lung » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:39 pm

Why wouldn't we wait until the end of the preseason to cut rosters back? Why wouldn't we wait to have the preseason to evaluate player performances and to see who makes the final NFL rosters? Why would we add all those players to our rosters now, only to cut them two weeks later? Roster cuts in every one of my other dynasty leagues are always after the preseason ends and before the regular season starts. This really makes little sense to me. :-?
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kareighuis » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:54 pm

The Lung wrote:Why wouldn't we wait until the end of the preseason to cut rosters back? Why wouldn't we wait to have the preseason to evaluate player performances and to see who makes the final NFL rosters? Why would we add all those players to our rosters now, only to cut them two weeks later? Roster cuts in every one of my other dynasty leagues are always after the preseason ends and before the regular season starts. This really makes little sense to me. :-?

The roster expansion was meant for the actual real rookie draft, so teams could make trades and draft players without being hamstrung by shorter rosters. It was not to determine the value of waiver wire additions.

As you said before, I'd rather keep some blood on the waiver wire, rather than suck it all dry before the season even starts.

Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Lung » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:25 pm

Kareighuis wrote:The roster expansion was meant for the actual real rookie draft, so teams could make trades and draft players without being hamstrung by shorter rosters. It was not to determine the value of waiver wire additions.

As you said before, I'd rather keep some blood on the waiver wire, rather than suck it all dry before the season even starts.

K, I guess my other leagues just have a philosophical difference then. We expand rosters in the offseason in order to both make room for rookie draft picks AND to evaluate them in the preseason. If the roster expansion in this league is for the sole purpose of making room for trades during the draft, then I understand & agree 100%. ;-D

And indeed, no matter when the cuts are, I am a big proponent of small-medium rosters. My largest league has an offseason limit of 26 and inseason limit of 23! 8-o
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

PreviousNext

Return to Horse Traders