US declares public health emergency - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

US declares public health emergency

Moderator: Football Moderators

US declares public health emergency

Postby scottaa1 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:37 pm

I hadn't heard anything about this. Kinda scary how it's popping up in various countries. The point of declaring it for now is to make additional resources available. Reminds me of a few novels I've read.

Link

(CNN) -- The United States government declared a public health emergency Sunday as the number of identified cases of swine flu in the nation rose to 20.

Additional cases of swine flu are expected to be reported in the coming days, added Dr. Richard Besser, acting director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The World Health Organization advised all countries to be on the lookout for "unusual" outbreaks of flu, after an emergency meeting Saturday as the seriousness of the outbreak became clear.

By Sunday, 81 deaths in Mexico had been deemed "likely linked" to swine flu. Viral testing has confirmed 20 cases, said Dr. Jose A. Cordova Villalobos, Mexico's health secretary.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: US declares public health emergency

Postby eagles21 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:48 pm

Yeah, I heard about the deaths im Mexico due to the swine flu only a couple days ago. Seems to have popped up and spread rather quickly. I just read today that there has been an outbreak in a school in NYC from kids who went to Mexico for Spring Break. Pretty scary indeed.
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:18 am

This is just great. I'm still getting over my Bird Flu and SARS.
Art Vandelay
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dream_017 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:55 am

This better not raise the price of bacon
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby knapplc » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:11 pm

I'm concerned as a parent of a young child, but I note that there have been no fatalities here in America, and in fact only one of the 12 known cases required hospitalization. All infected are recovering/have recovered, and this doesn't appear AT THE MOMENT to be that serious. It's not known why it seems like the cases of this flu in Mexico seem more serious, but they do.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Nfl Fan » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:37 am

Huh... and me planning a trip to Cabo this June. :-C
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Tyeattolah » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:13 am

knapplc wrote:I'm concerned as a parent of a young child, but I note that there have been no fatalities here in America, and in fact only one of the 12 known cases required hospitalization. All infected are recovering/have recovered, and this doesn't appear AT THE MOMENT to be that serious. It's not known why it seems like the cases of this flu in Mexico seem more serious, but they do.

Unfortunately they are reporting one death now of an infant in Texas...this is not good. I also saw a report on MSN.com yesterday that there were 70+ kids from a school for autistic kids in New YOrk that were sick following a spring break trip to Mexico. I haven;t heard anymore about that but it doesn;t take much for this stuff to spread!
Tyeattolah
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:37 am

Sure, and that's why I said AT THE MOMENT. There will be fatalities with this flu, so we just have to wait it out.

The good news is that it seems like most people infected are recovering.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Guru13 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:45 am

My mom's on vacation in Mexico with her sister (my aunt) right now. :-o
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby dream_017 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:34 pm

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:My mom's on vacation in Mexico with her sister (my aunt) right now. :-o

Stock up on rubber gloves and masks ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Next

Return to General Talk