US declares public health emergency - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

US declares public health emergency

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: US declares public health emergency

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Mon May 04, 2009 3:30 pm

knapplc wrote:
Cowboys 4 life wrote:
knapplc wrote:And yet several people have no problems accusing illegals of being the issue here. Interesting.

Jews were blamed for many ills in Germany in the 1930s and 1940s. Turns out they were just a scapegoat for the Nazis. It would be unfortunate for Americans to start pointing fingers at a specific demographic without any evidence whatsoever, wouldn't it? And yet...

Whether it can be proven or not are you 100% certain illegals are not the cause? If your answer is yes I want proof of the claim.

Who in this thread has directly accused illegals as the cause to this flu? I said there is a possibility that there could be cases. It is a fact that diseases are brought here from other countries Knapp. Heck even our ancesters brought over diseases to the indians. Why couldn't it happen in this case?

You said illegals are the cause. You even brought in a four-year-old article to bolster your point. And it's not up to me to prove that illegals aren't the cause. When you make a claim, it's your job to prove that claim, not someone else's job to disprove it. I'm simply asking you to show me where you're coming up with this nonsense that we need to "patrol the borders" better to keep things like this out. I called you out on spreading hysteria, and rather than show us where you've come up with this notion that illegals are part of this problem, you posted an article that's four years old where some uncited source thinks maybe illegals are bringing diseases over.

I freely admit it's possible. Anything's possible. But until we have some evidence, this is fear-mongering and nothing else.

Show me where I said that and I will admit I'm wrong. I suggested that they could be one of the causes but never said they were. There is a huge difference between the 2.

The four year old article was to prove that diseases can make their way across our borders. I don't believe that illegals are the direct cause because I can't prove it. But that doesn't take away from the fact that thye could be.

Again by patrolling borders you have to take into consideration how high those borders are. They are as high as a plane can fly. We must control everything coming in. The only way to do that is patrol what is coming in ie. border patrol
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Nfl Fan » Mon May 04, 2009 4:23 pm

Swine flu or no swine flu... we SHOULD protect our borders.
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Metroid » Mon May 04, 2009 7:07 pm

Nfl Fan wrote:Swine flu or no swine flu... we SHOULD protect our borders.

With swine flu! :-B
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby knapplc » Mon May 04, 2009 7:59 pm

Metroid wrote:

Which may or may not be as bad as we thought?

Throw open the borders! :-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Nfl Fan » Mon May 04, 2009 9:42 pm

Metroid wrote:

Funny. :-b
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Guru13 » Mon May 04, 2009 10:05 pm

Metroid wrote:

or perhaps flying swine? 8-o
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue May 05, 2009 7:26 am

Cowboys 4 life wrote:Again by patrolling borders you have to take into consideration how high those borders are. They are as high as a plane can fly. We must control everything coming in.

I think the reason that people like knapp and I reacted the way we did to your initial post is that when most people say "two words: border patrol," they're not talking about preventing American citizens from returning to the country after traveling abroad. I'll take you at your word that by 'border patrol' you also meant not allow flights into the US, but I'd still disagree with you, though on different grounds.
Art Vandelay
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guru13 » Tue May 05, 2009 5:58 pm

Does anyone know how long it takes to develop symptoms after coming into contact with the virus? I was just thinking we could have like a drastic/exponential influx of cases if people have all come in contact with it and then the symptoms don't develop for a week or two.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby scottaa1 » Tue May 05, 2009 6:06 pm

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:Does anyone know how long it takes to develop symptoms after coming into contact with the virus? I was just thinking we could have like a drastic/exponential influx of cases if people have all come in contact with it and then the symptoms don't develop for a week or two.

From what I've read, it's just like any flu bug... it depends on the degree of exposure. If you just inhaled one little bugsy, you won't even notice it. If you're majorly exposed, it has a broader base to replicate from and will come on more quickly.

From the 'calm down everyone' reports from the CDC and WHO that I've read, it takes 2-4 days for onset of symptoms. That of course can vary with your mileage. There's no concrete answer.

But, FFG, I suggest you lock yourself in the basement with only a laptop and a few gallons of water, and of course a gun. Read up on Howard Hughes. Trust me. But trust no one.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Guru13 » Tue May 05, 2009 6:08 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:Does anyone know how long it takes to develop symptoms after coming into contact with the virus? I was just thinking we could have like a drastic/exponential influx of cases if people have all come in contact with it and then the symptoms don't develop for a week or two.

From what I've read, it's just like any flu bug... it depends on the degree of exposure. If you just inhaled one little bugsy, you won't even notice it. If you're majorly exposed, it has a broader base to replicate from and will come on more quickly.

From the 'calm down everyone' reports from the CDC and WHO that I've read, it takes 2-4 days for onset of symptoms. That of course can vary with your mileage. There's no concrete answer.

But, FFG, I suggest you lock yourself in the basement with only a laptop and a few gallons of water, and of course a gun. Read up on Howard Hughes. Trust me. But trust no one.

:-b I'm not concerned about it, but my sister is an idiot and we're having a family breakdown/all out brawl over it. yay.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk