US declares public health emergency - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

US declares public health emergency

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: US declares public health emergency

Postby scottaa1 » Tue May 05, 2009 6:10 pm

No reason for hysteria.. altho I've read that hysteria is the first sympton of swine flu.

;-)
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Guru13 » Tue May 05, 2009 6:23 pm

scottaa1 wrote:No reason for hysteria.. altho I've read that hysteria is the first sympton of swine flu.

;-)

haha, I actually laughed aloud for a second at that one. well done sir. :-b ;-D
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Metroid » Tue May 05, 2009 6:29 pm

scottaa1 wrote:No reason for hysteria.. altho I've read that hysteria is the first sympton of swine flu.

;-)

That reminds me of what they tell you in AA: The first sign of alcoholism is denial.

WTF? :-?

So if I deny that I'm an alcoholic...I'm an alcoholic.....well I guess I must be an alcoholic. :-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby scottaa1 » Tue May 05, 2009 6:34 pm

All jokes aside, if it's really causing an issue amongst your family, show them the information from the experts. The World Health Organization and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, to start with. USAMRIID.

This really isn't different from any other flu virus, at least in the aspect of it's the latest flavor going around, and air travel seems to be aiding dispersal. Look at how little else is going on with the world right now... I wonder if the media hasn't just clamped on to the latest craze.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Tue May 05, 2009 6:40 pm

Scott, the media certainly has fueled this, but at the same time the CDC and WHO are raising alert levels almost to the top. That's beyond simple hysteria, that's some real scary right there. I'm a pretty cynical and phlegmatic guy, but I was concerned there for a while.

And truth be told, I have a little concern left. The 1918 outbreak mirrored the early stages of Swine Flu - an outbreak in the Spring, followed by a relatively calm Summer, then pandemic in the Fall. I'm not sounding the panic button, sure, but I'm certainly going to be cautious in the Winter if/when this flares up again.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Tue May 05, 2009 6:42 pm

Metroid wrote:

;-)

That reminds me of what they tell you in AA: The first sign of alcoholism is denial.

WTF? :-?

So if I deny that I'm an alcoholic...I'm an alcoholic.....well I guess I must be an alcoholic. :-b

I like that, in a 'the truth shall set you free' kind of way. "I'm an alocholic." "Great, have a drink, you're apparently not a drunk!" "But I said I"m an alcoholic." "Yeah, but you admitted it, so have a drink." "But I don't want one." "But you're GOING to have one, or I'm going to pour this down your face." "Ok"
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Guru13 » Tue May 05, 2009 6:55 pm

well here's the deal, my mom went to Mexico last week, on a resort, in an area where it wasn't considered a problem. But here's the thing - my sister's an idiot. She's 20, lives at home still with her 2 year old son, which is fine. that's not the problem...she's an idiot. She asked a bunch of people that don't know what they're talking about their opinion, most importantly she talked to her boyfriend's mom (who is also an idiot apparently, and knows my sister). Getting slightly off track, but also on topic is it should be known that my sister would ditch any one of us to go to her boyfriend's for the weekend, he's a fairly nice guy I guess, but he's not real bright and she'll put her son at risk to go over to his house, she does it all the time and at times it seems she doesn't give a flying eff about her child. But his mom told my sister if she didn't stay away from my mother for a week or more after she got home from mexico she couldn't see her boyfriend for a month. So my sister stays away for like three days, my mother is an emotional wreck cause she wants to see her grandson and this stupid woman (my sister, his mom, both - take your pick) is causing her not to, well after some very serious angry phone calls from pops she comes home and we're trying to explain it to her, but she's got the IQ of a block of wood. wonderful. should be an eventful evening.

o btw my mother's been a nurse for nearly 30 years.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby scottaa1 » Tue May 05, 2009 6:57 pm

knapplc wrote:Scott, the media certainly has fueled this, but at the same time the CDC and WHO are raising alert levels almost to the top. That's beyond simple hysteria, that's some real scary right there. I'm a pretty cynical and phlegmatic guy, but I was concerned there for a while.

And truth be told, I have a little concern left. The 1918 outbreak mirrored the early stages of Swine Flu - an outbreak in the Spring, followed by a relatively calm Summer, then pandemic in the Fall. I'm not sounding the panic button, sure, but I'm certainly going to be cautious in the Winter if/when this flares up again.

Yes, they've raised levels, and I wholeheartedly think they did so in the best intentions, to both raise awareness, and also to mobilize resources to deal with the threat. I, too, was concerned, and that's why I first posted this thread, we're on the same page here, I think, I'm just being a bit flippant tonight (blame Pete Coors).

The big difference i see with how plagues in the past happened versus now, is that medical science didn't have as much knowledge of how diseases spread and replicated; nor how to protect medical professionals from infection. We treat, and isolate, much better now, as well as identify carriers much earlier through testing and isolate them.

This is still a situation that warrants concern. It's very possible that this can blossom. Frankly, and this may sound harsh, we're lucky. This isn't a virus with a so-far high mortality rate. We can learn from this, and apply the lessons next time.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Metroid » Tue May 05, 2009 7:30 pm

This is going to sound harsh but I think a good widespread pandemic is just what this planet could use. If we as humans aren't going to control our population and be responsible caretakers of our planet then mother earth needs to step in, bitch slap us, and thin us out a little. Estimates range from 74 to 90 million new humans added to the planet each year, at that rate the human population could balloon to over 8.5 billion people by 2025, and I've read some recent studies that predict 9.2 billion people by 2050. :-t

/end rant
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Nfl Fan » Tue May 05, 2009 7:34 pm

I'm going to Cabo next month. My time-share just e-mailed me the following notice. Granted, they are a business and may spin it a bit, but it was interesting nonetheless.

May 1, 2009

Dear Member,

At Universal Vacation Club, we are aware of current issues regarding the swine flu. We take situations such as these very seriously. It is our responsibility to provide the safest and most comfortable stay possible for all of our guests. That’s why you can rest assured that we have taken every precaution to make sure you can relax and enjoy your upcoming UVC vacation.

Please note that while this situation is of great concern to us all, the UVC is taking every measure to ensure your health and safety. Also note these reasons to resume your intended stay with UVC:

• There are currently no cases of H1N1 swine flu near any of the UVC Resorts. This outbreak is believed to have started in Mexico, but is mainly populated in Mexico City and surrounding cities. No UVC Resorts are near the affected area.
• Why are there reported deaths of the swine flu in Mexico, but in no other country? This is because of Mexico’s weakened infrastructure and lack of medical capabilities in densely populated Mexico City. However, in UVC destinations such as Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta / Riviera Nayarit, and Cabo San Lucas, the medical capabilities are much greater in preparation for tourists and frequent visitors.
• The swine flu is very treatable once caught and diagnosed. There are several general influenza treatments that combat the swine flu with similar effectiveness.
• Every UVC Resort has an on-site doctor on-call, 24 hours a day. Again, the swine flu is very treatable when caught and diagnosed.
• We are working very closely with local authorities to take all the necessary precautions to minimize any potential spread of the virus.
For the most up to date information regarding swine flu, please consult any of the following sources:

• State Department (http://www.travel.state.gov )
• Center For Disease Control and Prevention (http://www.cdc.gov/ )
• World Health Organization (http://www.who.int/ )
• Villa Group Resorts http://villagroupresorts.com/media-center/travel-alerts

I'm not worried in the slightest.
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk