Giants Pick North Carolina WR Nicks In 1st Round - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to New York Giants

Giants Pick North Carolina WR Nicks In 1st Round

Moderator: Football Moderators

Giants Pick North Carolina WR Nicks In 1st Round

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:30 pm

Today is one of the days that I really miss Newsday, the newspaper I grew up with. Thanks to the internet I can still read it! Here's an article on Nicks & day 1:

Newsday wrote:The Giants didn't trade for Anquan Boldin, but they drafted a receiver who many think compares to the Pro Bowler from the Cardinals.

With the 29th pick in the draft, the Giants selected Hakeem Nicks, a 6-foot, 210-pound wide receiver from North Carolina. General manager Jerry Reese said the Giants never really entertained trading up or down in the draft order - although they were tempted when highly-touted receivers such as Michael Crabtree and Jeremy Maclin began to fall - and waited patiently with the 29th pick. At that point they had four players in mind and selected Nicks, the only receiver among the four. Linebacker Rey Maualuga from USC likely also was in the group.

"Obviously, it's a position of need," coach Tom Coughlin said. "We weren't going to reach to take a player. If the player we wanted at the receiver position wasn't there, we were prepared to go elsewhere."

Rest of article:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/ ... 2473.story

I really like what the Giants did on day 1. Obviously time will tell. :-) ;-D

The article also says that the contract demands of both Braylon & Boldin was what made those deals never come close.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 81)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to New York Giants