Who is the #1 rookie for keeper/dynasty leagues in 2009? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who is the #1 rookie for keeper/dynasty leagues in 2009?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Who is the #1 rookie for keeper/dynasty leagues in 2009?

Poll ended at Sun May 03, 2009 8:05 pm

RB Knowshon Moreno, Denver
29%
RB Chris "Beanie" Wells, Arizona
39%
RB Donald Brown, Indianapolis
12%
WR Michael Crabtree, San Francisco
18%
WR Jeremy Maclin, Philadelphia
2%
QB Matt Stafford, Detroit
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes : 49

Re: Who is the #1 rookie for keeper/dynasty leagues in 2009?

Postby gatorman1122 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:33 am

Over a 6-year span, it's pretty difficult to gauge how they'll end up but here goes:

-Stafford: plays for the Lions :-t
-Moreno: how often do you not see a 1000+yd rusher in the Denver's system? (granted, Shanny is gone)
-Brown: Addai is poised to remain no. 1 RB for years to come
-Crabtree: subpar QB in college + subpar QB in NFL with tiny hands= success?
-Maclin: somewhat unpolished WR, has a great QB throwing to him though
-Wells: durability issues, Arizona never has a running game

Verdict:
I have to give the nod to a tie between Moreno and Maclin. You know you're one hell of a RB if you're being compared to Herschel Walker. As for Maclin, assuming McNabb stays in Philly for the next 5-6 years, I can see Maclin being successful in Reid's pass-happy system.

EDIT: By the way, why isn't LeSean McCoy on that list? People compare him to a poor man's Westbrook, but you have to remember that Westbrook wasn't that highly regarded coming out of college (3rd round, 26th pick).
Last edited by gatorman1122 on Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
gatorman1122
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheDiplomats » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:36 am

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:I'll pick Crabtree, almost by default. I would say Maclin's in a terrilble spot, as he'll be the 2nd best speed WR on the Eagles at best, and may not even start for a couple years (it'll be a tough call between him, Desean, Curtis until Curtis goes).

Moreno and Wells are similar in that I like everything about them , except that one would argue they are injury-prone. Too risky to be the top rookie, if you ask me.

Brown's #2 in my mind, but he still has to pass Addai.

Crabtree, meanwhile, is guaranteed a starting job and plenty of opporunitites (balls thrown to him). He's also the best offensive "talent" in the draft. Only knock here is that he's a WR (and maybe his attitude), but he presents the lowest risk if you ask me.

I'd rank 'em like this:

Crabtree
Brown
Wells
Moreno
(big drop)
Maclin
Sanchez
(big drop)
Stafford

You left out Harvin completely. He should be right next to Maclin on that list if not above him. ;-D
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby The Lung » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:09 pm

gatorman1122 wrote:EDIT: By the way, why isn't LeSean McCoy on that list? People compare him to a poor man's Westbrook, but you have to remember that Westbrook wasn't that highly regarded coming out of college (3rd round, 26th pick).

TheDiplomats wrote:You left out Harvin completely. He should be right next to Maclin on that list if not above him. ;-D

Hey guys, as indicated in my post and instructions, there is an "Other" option clearly available for any player you want to include as a write-in vote. If you wanted to vote for McCoy or Harvin you could have selected "Other" and indicated in a post that this was your selection. After 31 (and counting) votes, there are currently no "Other" votes, so it is fairly obvious that no one feels that these players are truly worth the #1 pick.

I will be repeating these polls all the way down to #12, mimicking the first round of a rookie dynasty draft. For each new poll, I'll add new players to select from. Rest assured that McCoy and Harvin will be added to the "Who is the #2 rookie for keeper/dynasty leagues in 2009?" poll. But, as always, if there is a player not included in the poll options, that is what the "Other" option is for. ;-D
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 72)

Postby steelerfan513 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:54 pm

We're on the second page, and nobody's argued for Knowshon Moreno yet? He's the most talented running back on his roster and on a team that is likely headed to a run-heavy offense. Why else would they pass on several talented defensive players that would've better filled needs on a porous defense to take Moreno? They have to have big plans for this kid. That is, unless they drafted him as a decoy for Kyle Orton. :-b

My top four off the top of my head with no research whatsoever:

Moreno
Wells
Brown
Crabtree

Crabtree is great, but there are enough talented running backs to drop him down in most rookie drafts. Plus his chances of immediate production are pretty low due to his situation and the track record for rookie receivers.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:56 pm

i'm going for Brown over Wells, mainly because i dont know how much longer Kurt Warner can play. if Warner retires and they go into 2010 with Leinert or some other scrub and end up trading Boldin, i dont know how honest D's will be with just Fitz out there
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:40 pm

With Wells' situation, I'm willing to take a chance on his health. As long as he stays healthy, then he's the guy.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby dmacblue » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:06 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:i'm going for Brown over Wells, mainly because i dont know how much longer Kurt Warner can play. if Warner retires and they go into 2010 with Leinert or some other scrub and end up trading Boldin, i dont know how honest D's will be with just Fitz out there

This is exactly my sentiment, and fear. AZ could easily fade back to their regular status.

Nice post Dan ;-D

Kudos to the uberdesigner 'soty' for the sig!
dmacblue
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: Driving the Chase Coffman bandwagon to the 2011 Pro Bowl!

Postby The Lung » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:06 am

This poll runs till Sun May 03, 2009 @ 9:05 pm, and it's practically neck and neck between Moreno and Wells. If you haven't already voted, please help break the tie!
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 72)

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:53 pm

dmacblue wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:i'm going for Brown over Wells, mainly because i dont know how much longer Kurt Warner can play. if Warner retires and they go into 2010 with Leinert or some other scrub and end up trading Boldin, i dont know how honest D's will be with just Fitz out there

This is exactly my sentiment, and fear. AZ could easily fade back to their regular status.

Nice post Dan ;-D

Two words:

NFC West
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:55 pm

Wells
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk