Foote wants to play for Detroit - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Foote wants to play for Detroit

Moderator: Football Moderators

Foote wants to play for Detroit

Postby mattUTD20 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:03 pm

Foote Wants To Play For The Lions
Posted by Mike Florio on April 28, 2009, 2:54 p.m. EDT
Perhaps far bigger than the news that former Steelers linebacker Larry Foote wants to play for the Detroit Lions is that anyone wants to play for the Detroit Lions.

But, indeed, Foote wants to continue his career in the state he calls “home,” with the team everyone calls “really, really sucky.”

“Detroit is always No. 1,” Foote told the Detroit News. “I mean, my agent is talking to them about me coming home, and we’ll go from there. But no question about it, that’s my first choice.”

Foote also revealed that he had been pushing the team to cut him, and that at one point he thought he’d be traded.

“I’ve been forcing [this] the whole offseason,” Foote said. “I’ve been asking for it all offseason, asking for a trade, and I guess they finally did something. I wish they’d have done it a little earlier. Technically, I’m a free man now, but a lot of the money [in free agency] has been spent. . . .

“I don’t know what the Steelers were doing in the whole process. They kept saying they were trying to get a trade. I know they were in talks with the Lions. But I don’t know how it’s gonna work. My agent [Ken Kremer] said the Lions tried to get me, but I still don’t know how bad they want me.”

On one hand, it’s arguably a tad douchey for the Steelers to squat on Foote through the first two months of free agency and then cut him three days after picking a total of, um, zero linebackers in the draft. On the other hand, Foote’s agent could have avoided the situation by simply shifting $1 million of Foote’s $2.885 million base salary into a roster bonus due on the first day of the 2009 league year.

If the Lions aren’t interested in bringing to the franchise a guy who got two Super Bowl rings without buying either of them on eBay, then maybe the Cardinals will be inclined to consider Foote, given his connection to former Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt.

Steelers Will Keep Foote For The Next Week
Posted by Mike Florio on April 28, 2009, 3:07 p.m. EDT
In his Tuesday comments to the Detroit News, linebacker Larry Foote said that the Steelers tried to trade him before deciding to cut him.

It appears that those efforts might be ongoing.

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette confirms our report (thanks, Ed — you are a true gentleman, despite that French-sounding surname), but Bouchette writes that the Steelers will keep him on the roster through the coming weekend, during which a mandatory minicamp will be held.

Our guess is that the Steelers are still hoping to get a phone call from a team that might want to trade for Foote, and that with so many minicamps coming up this weekend, the Steelers might be thinking that a market for Foote could emerge quickly if a linebacker on another team suffers a serious injury during the coming surge of non-contact (eyeroll) helmets-and-underwear practices.

It’s also safe to assume that the Steelers dangled Foote during draft weekend, and that they likewise found no takers.

They might find a taker for Foote as quickly as the Fins did last summer for defensive end Jason Taylor, when a blown Achilles’ tendon in D.C. instantly became the second-round draft pick with which the Fins finagled Pat White.

Foote has stated he wants to come home and play for the Lions. As a Curry hopeful, the sting of seeing Stafford on his back Sundays won't be quite as bad if Foote is flanked by Peterson and Sims in Lions blue. I dare say the Lions would have a respectable linebackers corp and with Delmas over the top could have a decent run D. They'll be hurting on the line but Grady Jackson should help on first and second down. Is Detroit going to turn a corner on D or am I just overly optimistic?
"Maurice Jones-Drew, below the waist, is incredible." Mike Mayock

Cafe Leagues

Eat Cheese Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 1
Ball Breakers Keeper (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 3 PvYr: 2
4th and Goal Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 9
mattUTD20
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Foote wants to play for Detroit

Postby TheDiplomats » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:58 pm

Perhaps this is what the Lions anticipated all along. LeRoy Hill is also now available so I fully expect the Lions to grab Foote or Hill to fill the void in their LB corps. What the Lions need now on defense is some good DLinemen and CBs. And they still need big time help on OLine.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby steelerfan513 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:20 pm

Perhaps this is what encouraged Detroit to pass on Maualuga...
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby mattUTD20 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:30 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:Perhaps this is what encouraged Detroit to pass on Maualuga...

Definitely could have played a part. I don't know too much about LeRoy Hill, but isn't he more of an outside LB? I'd probably go with Foote since we could get him for about half the price and would actually want to play here. Would have a lot of money tied up in the linebackers if you take Hill.

The 20 pick makes even less sense to me now if we are assuming the Lions felt confident about locking up Foote after the draft. You could take Peria Jerry at that spot and be solid. I guess they are high on the Sammy Lee Hill kid.
"Maurice Jones-Drew, below the waist, is incredible." Mike Mayock

Cafe Leagues

Eat Cheese Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 1
Ball Breakers Keeper (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 3 PvYr: 2
4th and Goal Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 9
mattUTD20
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mrblitz » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:57 pm

That's the first time a I've ever heard of someone saying they want to play for Detroit. Hey they can only get better, right?

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby mattb47 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:06 pm

mrblitz wrote:That's the first time a I've ever heard of someone saying they want to play for Detroit. Hey they can only get better, right?

I want to play for Detroit.

...as long as it comes with that nice NFL salary :-b
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Kareighuis » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:21 pm

mattb47 wrote:
mrblitz wrote:That's the first time a I've ever heard of someone saying they want to play for Detroit. Hey they can only get better, right?

Hey, I'll be their starting QB, absorb all those sacks so Stafford can learn safely- for the bargain basement price of the NFL minimum!

Seriously, I think DT Peria Jerry would have made real good sense, especially since they traded Rogers and Redding in two consecutive offseasons.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Guru13 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:20 pm

Kareighuis wrote:
mattb47 wrote:

Hey, I'll be their starting QB, absorb all those sacks so Stafford can learn safely- for the bargain basement price of the NFL minimum!

Seriously, I think DT Peria Jerry would have made real good sense, especially since they traded Rogers and Redding in two consecutive offseasons.

I think drafting someone (Beatty perhaps) that would've kept Stafford out of the mud, but no...they didn't do that.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Return to Football Talk