Bears sign TE Michael Gaines - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Bears sign TE Michael Gaines

Moderator: Football Moderators

Bears sign TE Michael Gaines

Postby madaslives911 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:23 pm

After the Lions picked tight end Brandon Pettigrew with the 20th pick of the draft last Saturday, it was obvious that Michael Gaines' time in Detroit was running out. Prior to the draft, the Lions didn't feel confident in their tight end situation, but Pettigrew is seen as someone that can be a starter from day one. Considering that, it is no surprise to find out that Gaines was released by the Lions today.

Last year, Gaines signed a four-year free-agent contract with the Lions, worth a reported $10 million ($3 million guaranteed). He had hopes of establishing himself as a complete tight end, saying: “I have an opportunity to be the guy here. This gives me a great opportunity to put my mark on the game.”

The remaining tight ends on the team are Pettigrew, second-to-last pick of the draft Dan Gronkowski, Casey FitzSimmons, Will Heller, Sean Conover, and Jake Nordin.

Source: Pride of Detroit

Poor Gaines... gained nothing. :-/
Last edited by madaslives911 on Mon May 11, 2009 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit My Sigs Gallery

2008 Champion - Cafeholics Anonymous
2008 Champion - No Press Allowed
madaslives911
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Lions Release TE Michael Gaines

Postby TheDiplomats » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:37 pm

No surprises there. Pettigrew is much better than Gaines. Gaines should be happy he got his 3 million guaranteed.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Billsbacker » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:23 pm

Pettigrew is probably better than half of the starting TE's in the NFL....but that does not make Gaines a bad TE. He's more than serviceable, and should have no problem finding work elsewhere (though at a lesser salary). Detroit probably overpaid for Gaines a little, and Pettigrew is a solid talent, but I was still surprised to see Detroit make this pick when they had bigger holes to fill. At the right price, I'd welcome Gaines back to my Bills in a heartbeat - he's a solid guy, on and off the field.
Billsbacker
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:34 pm

They don't need Gaines anymore. Pettigrew can play all three downs all season long. Get a third tackle out there on 2 TE sets I say.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby moochman » Sat May 02, 2009 10:53 am

The funny thing is that the worst head coach in the history of football brought in Gaines becuase they liked his blocking ability. Marinelli's judgement was so good that the Lions drafted a TE primarily because he is a "great blocker" and then cut the $3 Millen Dollar Man.
Tight work by a tight organization.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Jets Workout Veteran TE Michael Gaines

Postby madaslives911 » Sun May 10, 2009 9:59 am

The Jets, who are looking for a veteran tight end, worked out veteran Michael Gaines Wednesday, according to a person with knowledge of the workout. He spoke on the condition of anonymity because he's not authorized to speak for the Jets or Gaines. Gaines, a 6-foot-4, 277-pounder who is primarily a blocker, is a sixth-year pro who has played with the Panthers, Bills and Lions.

He could be a good addition to the Jets but i've read somewhere that he wants to be with the Bears.
Visit My Sigs Gallery

madaslives911
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Jets Workout Veteran TE Michael Gaines

Postby Kareighuis » Sun May 10, 2009 12:18 pm

madaslives911 wrote:
The Jets, who are looking for a veteran tight end, worked out veteran Michael Gaines Wednesday, according to a person with knowledge of the workout. He spoke on the condition of anonymity because he's not authorized to speak for the Jets or Gaines. Gaines, a 6-foot-4, 277-pounder who is primarily a blocker, is a sixth-year pro who has played with the Panthers, Bills and Lions.

He could be a good addition to the Jets but i've read somewhere that he wants to be with the Bears.

The Bears signing him would make no sense- they have Olsen and Desmond Clark, who's at least twice the receiver Gaines is, and way better than half the blocker.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Michael Gaines Signed by the CHI Bears

Postby madaslives911 » Mon May 11, 2009 10:50 pm

madaslives911 wrote:

So to the Windy City he goes....

The Chicago Bears have signed tight end Michael Gaines to a one year contract, according to the team site. Gaines has good size, at 6'4 and 277 lbs. Per this article from the Tribune last Friday, there may be plans to have Gaines line up at full back as well. He is a former 7th round draft pick in the 2004 NFL draft.

Thoughts about this signing:

How will Gaines fit into our passing/ running game?

Does this mean more success in short yardage situations?

Will Gaines be yet another option for Jay Cutler out of the back-field?
Visit My Sigs Gallery

madaslives911
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Re: Bears sign TE Michael Gaines

Postby LS2throwed » Tue May 12, 2009 3:50 am

Thing about Olsen is he lines up as a WR or a slot alot, and Desmond Clark or someone else will be lined up on the line as a TE, they find ways to get Olsen on the field regardless because they don't have much at WR...I also noticed since they don't have that big WR Olsen get's lots of jumpball chances in the end zone for some TD's, Gaines contract looks like he's more for ST/depth/blocking.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Re: Bears sign TE Michael Gaines

Postby Kareighuis » Tue May 12, 2009 4:28 am

LS2throwed wrote:Thing about Olsen is he lines up as a WR or a slot alot, and Desmond Clark or someone else will be lined up on the line as a TE, they find ways to get Olsen on the field regardless because they don't have much at WR...I also noticed since they don't have that big WR Olsen get's lots of jumpball chances in the end zone for some TD's, Gaines contract looks like he's more for ST/depth/blocking.

I agree completely. I'd only be worried about this if I were a Desmond Clark owner. The Gaines-as-fullback idea is interesting.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Return to Football Talk