Drug Testing - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Drug Testing

Moderator: Football Moderators

Drug Testing

Postby Dawinner127 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:39 pm

OK well, here's a quick story. Now since its allergy season and all and everyone who has bad allergies, their eyes get all puffy and turn red. So earlier this week, one teacher suspected a student was under the influence of marijuana just because his eyes were red from the pollen in the air. So the student went down to the Principle's office and had a long talk. It turned out the kids parents were away on vacation (Japan, I believe) and in the beginning of the year you have to hand in forms saying who your guardians are after your parents and I guess he never put down who his other guardians were on the sheet so therefore the school became his other legal guardian after his parents. So the principle himself drove the student down to the doctors office and the kid is going to have to get drug tested. Now, the kid was clearly not under the influence of anything, but yet, he is going to get nailed because he has previously smoked within the past week.

What are your opinions on this? Should we stop worrying about drug testing students and start drug testing the educators of the world who are around YOUR children maybe more than you are?

Just looking for some input, feelings and opinions on this.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 69)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Drug Testing

Postby portisfan24 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:45 pm

Maybe he shouldn't have smoked an illegal drug?
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Nfl Fan » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:19 am

My wife works with challenged kids in the school system. The common thread with 'bad' kids is they typically have really crappy parents. Noise and partying all night. Random 'overnight' guests. Drugs. Police. 3:00am freak shows. It's sad. Sometimes I think we should get after crappy parents with a little more intensity than going after a kid who smokes a little weed.
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Madison » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:20 am

He broke the law and because he happened to get caught due to a quirk, that makes it wrong that he got caught? :-S

And we should go after the people/person who caught him instead? 8-o

I apologize, but I can't help but laugh at that idea. :-b

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:38 am

MJ isn't the worst thing in the world. We all know it's mostly harmless. But the bottom line is, it's illegal. So don't do it if you're not willing to deal with the penalties that come with getting caught.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby houstonherdfan » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:40 am

Doesn't sound to me like that meets the federal guidelines to do a for cause drug test. Not sure how it would work due to the guardianship kinda thing.

However the Dept of HHS (which sets the guidelines for drug testing, would be the place to go to find out weather or not this was legal. I do know for workplace suspicion testing red eyes would not be enough from a legal standpoint.

That said, the kid should stay off the dope!!!!!!!
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:21 am

knapplc wrote:MJ isn't the worst thing in the world. We all know it's mostly harmless. But the bottom line is, it's illegal. So don't do it if you're not willing to deal with the penalties that come with getting caught.

This pretty much sums it up. I do have somewhat of a problem, however, with the school simply naming itself guardian, then forcing the kid to do something against his--and possibly his parents' will.
Art Vandelay
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby joejlitz » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:35 am

Art Vandelay wrote:
knapplc wrote:MJ isn't the worst thing in the world. We all know it's mostly harmless. But the bottom line is, it's illegal. So don't do it if you're not willing to deal with the penalties that come with getting caught.

This pretty much sums it up. I do have somewhat of a problem, however, with the school simply naming itself guardian, then forcing the kid to do something against his--and possibly his parents' will.

Why? If the parents had simply followed the beauracratic procedures that had been in place, none of this would have ever happened. It's that simple!
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:01 pm

joejlitz wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:

Why? If the parents had simply followed the beauracratic procedures that had been in place, none of this would have ever happened. It's that simple!

Meh. Parents not following some "beauracratic procedure" that they may not have even be aware of isn't a good enough reason for the school to claim guardianship over a student and force something like this, as far as I'm concerned.

This part of the original post wasn't exactly clear to me:
in the beginning of the year you have to hand in forms saying who your guardians are after your parents and I guess he never put down who his other guardians were on the sheet so therefore the school became his other legal guardian after his parents.

I don't know exactly what "other guardian" means, or how the school itself can become that, or why someone would even need to name someone as an "other guardian" for their kids at the beginning of the school year, but, assuming this kid is at least 15 or 16, I don't think the parents should have to name someone else his guardian while they go on vacation, and I certainly don't think failure to do so should result in the school becoming his legal guardian. What if this happens with a female student, and--as her legal guardian--the school decides she needs to be on birth control, or off birth control, or have an abortion, or not have a scheduled abortion?
Art Vandelay
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby bungle613 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:20 pm

What state was this?
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to General Talk