Drug Testing - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to General Talk

Drug Testing

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Drug Testing

Postby Metroid » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:28 pm

knapplc wrote:MJ isn't the worst thing in the world. We all know it's mostly harmless. But the bottom line is, it's illegal. So don't do it if you're not willing to deal with the penalties that come with getting caught.

Totally agree. ;-D

I don't smoke anymore, but I did smoke like Cheech and Chong throughout high school....it's actually a wonder I ever made it through high school. Anyway if this had happened to me I probably would have bitched and moaned and tried to blame the school, but the fact of the matter is it's against school policy, it doesn't really matter how he got caught. Unless of course what the school did was against the law. :-?

Madison wrote:He broke the law and because he happened to get caught due to a quirk, that makes it wrong that he got caught? :-S

And we should go after the people/person who caught him instead? 8-o

I apologize, but I can't help but laugh at that idea. :-b

Yeah that made me laugh too....I don't really know where that is coming from. :-b
Image
Metroid
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 22544
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Bringing the funk in P-Town!

Re: Drug Testing

Postby Dawinner127 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:15 pm

Madison wrote:He broke the law and because he happened to get caught due to a quirk, that makes it wrong that he got caught? :-S

And we should go after the people/person who caught him instead? 8-o

I apologize, but I can't help but laugh at that idea. :-b

I never said it was wrong that he got caught by any means. It is an illegal substance and he should be punished for it. But it's right that his teacher assumed he was under the influence during school because his eyes were red due to allergies? That's a tad ridiculous. What happens if a student suspects a teacher to be under the influence because the teachers eyes are red just like this students were? I would bet a pretty large sum of money that nothing gets done about it and the school doesn't make the teacher get drug tested.

Art Vandelay wrote:I don't know exactly what "other guardian" means, or how the school itself can become that, or why someone would even need to name someone as an "other guardian" for their kids at the beginning of the school year, but, assuming this kid is at least 15 or 16, I don't think the parents should have to name someone else his guardian while they go on vacation, and I certainly don't think failure to do so should result in the school becoming his legal guardian. What if this happens with a female student, and--as her legal guardian--the school decides she needs to be on birth control, or off birth control, or have an abortion, or not have a scheduled abortion?

I was in a rush when I wrote this last night. What I meant was that in the beginning of the school year, there are numerous forms and papers that are sent home before school starts. One of the forms consist of putting down three people or names to contact in case of an emergency. I guess the students parents never put down other names or people that the school can contact, so they are responsible for the student at that point?


bungle613 wrote:What state was this?

New Jersey
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6206
(Past Year: 70)
Joined: 15 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: New Jersey

Re: Drug Testing

Postby Metroid » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:50 pm

Students and teachers are treated different and different things are expected of them, that's just the way it is. You'll find this is the case all through life. You're future employer my perform random drug test on his employees while he himself is doing an 8 ball of cocaine a day. The world ain't really "even Steven." It doesn't really matter what happens to teachers should they be caught doing drugs...they weren't caught, your friend was, just worry about following the rules laid down by the faculty and you'll be fine.
Image
Metroid
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 22544
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Bringing the funk in P-Town!

Re: Drug Testing

Postby Metroid » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:54 pm

One more thing, what the hell did he take the test for? If I knew I had smoked weed a week earlier I would tell them no. :-?
Image
Metroid
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 22544
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Bringing the funk in P-Town!

Re: Drug Testing

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:09 pm

How do you know your "friend' wasn't stoned at school? You make it out like it was so totally obvious allergies and anyone with a brain in their head should accept that, but why? Maybe he sparked up on the ride to school, or at lunch, or behind the cafeteria, wherever. It's nothing I didn't do when I was in school, I just didn't get caught... by a teacher, anyway. (mom found an ounce in my dresser when I was a freshman :-/
Image
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 8540
(Past Year: 13)
Joined: 17 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Indy

Re: Drug Testing

Postby Dawinner127 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:11 pm

Metroid wrote:Students and teachers are treated different and different things are expected of them, that's just the way it is. You'll find this is the case all through life. You're future employer my perform random drug test on his employees while he himself is doing an 8 ball of cocaine a day. The world ain't really "even Steven." It doesn't really matter what happens to teachers should they be caught doing drugs...they weren't caught, your friend was, just worry about following the rules laid down by the faculty and you'll be fine.

I forgot to mention this wasn't my friend. It was at the school that is part of the district I am in. I agree though, everything isn't even Steven, but something to this agree should be. If they want to drug tests students because they look like they are under the influence, then by all means it should be fair game for a teacher to be drug tested if they look "under the influence".

Metroid wrote:One more thing, what the hell did he take the test for? If I knew I had smoked weed a week earlier I would tell them no. :-?

I guess he didn't have a big enough pair down their to say no. Also, it depends on your levels, I believe. It goes on something from a scale of like 0 to 2000. Normally if you smoke weed once or twice a week your levels are around 150 - 300 I think. I'm not sure what is considered failing a drug test though.

scottaa1 wrote:How do you know your "friend' wasn't stoned at school? You make it out like it was so totally obvious allergies and anyone with a brain in their head should accept that, but why? Maybe he sparked up on the ride to school, or at lunch, or behind the cafeteria, wherever. It's nothing I didn't do when I was in school, I just didn't get caught... by a teacher, anyway. (mom found an ounce in my dresser when I was a freshman :-/

Like I said to Met, I don't even know who this kid is. It's just what my best friend was told by him because he plays Lacrosse with him. And my best friend just said that the kid isn't the type to go to school baked out of their mind and isn't a huge pot head who smokes everyday or twice a day. Just at the occasional party over the weekends.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6206
(Past Year: 70)
Joined: 15 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: New Jersey

Re: Drug Testing

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:23 pm

The bottom line is if a student looks like this Image test his arse. :-b


The situation sucks for the kid but he did smoke MJ. And if they give him a urine test and he smokes it consistently he is going to test positive. I don't agree that the principal took him and forced a test because the only to test to see if someone is under the influence of MJ is a blood test. It only stays in the blood for a few hours before it metabolizies into the urine. Then it stays in the urine for a decent amount of time and that time gets longer the more you smoke. 1 week to 60 days in the urine and up to 6 months in the hair. Bottom line is he should have understood this and asked for a blood test.

The problem with MJ is the amount of time it remains in the system or hair which is even worse. Go to a party that has previously been hot boxed and you are a smoker if your hair gets tested.
Image
Image
Cowboys 4 life
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 9515
(Past Year: 79)
Joined: 18 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Re: Drug Testing

Postby Dawinner127 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:37 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote:The bottom line is if a student looks like this Image test his arse. :-b

or if he looks like this ;-D
Image
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6206
(Past Year: 70)
Joined: 15 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: New Jersey

Re: Drug Testing

Postby knapplc » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:57 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
joejlitz wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:I do have somewhat of a problem, however, with the school simply naming itself guardian, then forcing the kid to do something against his--and possibly his parents' will.

Why? If the parents had simply followed the beauracratic procedures that had been in place, none of this would have ever happened. It's that simple!

Meh. Parents not following some "beauracratic procedure" that they may not have even be aware of isn't a good enough reason for the school to claim guardianship over a student and force something like this, as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, somehow I missed the part where the school declared themselves the legal guardian when I first read that. I also have a problem with that.
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

Re: Drug Testing

Postby Madison » Fri May 01, 2009 12:46 am

Dawinner127 wrote:I never said it was wrong that he got caught by any means. It is an illegal substance and he should be punished for it. But it's right that his teacher assumed he was under the influence during school because his eyes were red due to allergies? That's a tad ridiculous. What happens if a student suspects a teacher to be under the influence because the teachers eyes are red just like this students were? I would bet a pretty large sum of money that nothing gets done about it and the school doesn't make the teacher get drug tested.


No different than a police officer assuming someone is under the influence. If the kid in question hadn't broken the law, he'd have nothing to worry about as far as the drug test. If anything, after testing clean he'd have the upper hand and be able to cause a big stink over the whole thing. He loses that by being a criminal and failing the test.

As to reporting teachers, it depends on the character of the student reporting it, but if the student reporting it is a problem kid, druggie, or whatever, sure, I can see the school possibly turning a blind eye if the principal/dean's character isn't all that great. Personally, I had my high school English teacher forced into early retirement because she was an alcoholic and she was drinking during school (it was obvious if you knew what to look for). I reported it to the principal and dean of the district, gave them the exact schedule of what she did and when, they were able to confirm it a few days later (just under 2 weeks left in the school year), and they let her choose between being fired or retiring at the end of the year since I didn't care at all, just thought they should know she is/was a drunk. It wasn't pot, but is that a close enough example to prove it does go both ways?

*Disclaimers - I was a senior and never returned to the school once I graduated, so I took the principal and dean at their word that she was retiring and I overheard other teachers talking about her retirement party. I can't say I know they followed through on it for fact, but everything seemed to be in place. Also, she's not the only teacher I got fired in my school days. O:-)

knapplc wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:Meh. Parents not following some "beauracratic procedure" that they may not have even be aware of isn't a good enough reason for the school to claim guardianship over a student and force something like this, as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, somehow I missed the part where the school declared themselves the legal guardian when I first read that. I also have a problem with that.


Sounds to me like a typical abandoned kid issue where the kid becomes a ward of the state. I don't see a problem here, but maybe I'm missing something. :-?
Image

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

User avatar
ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5979
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 7:56 hours
(and 37 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact