Drug Testing - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Drug Testing

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Drug Testing

Postby portisfan24 » Fri May 01, 2009 1:56 am

So it seems like most people have an issue with the school declaring themselves as guardians? Look at it from a different angle. Say there's an earthquake or some disaster and the parents haven't filled out contact forms, would you not want the school to act as guardians? They can't just let the kid go. I know its an extreme example, but as guardians the school has quite a bit of control over the kid, so I don't think insisting on a drug test is out of the question.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby joejlitz » Fri May 01, 2009 5:57 am

Madison wrote:
knapplc wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:Meh. Parents not following some "beauracratic procedure" that they may not have even be aware of isn't a good enough reason for the school to claim guardianship over a student and force something like this, as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, somehow I missed the part where the school declared themselves the legal guardian when I first read that. I also have a problem with that.

Sounds to me like a typical abandoned kid issue where the kid becomes a ward of the state. I don't see a problem here, but maybe I'm missing something. :-?

Guys, I was kidding when I said that it is the parents fault for not following the beauracratic procedures. I think it is ridiculous that the school got "custody" of this kid while his parents were away on vacation. My parents went to Florida for a week and my sister and I threw a keg party in my house when I was 15. There was a huge fight in my cul-de-sac, the cops came, looked at the empty beer keg, and kicked everyone out. I told them where my parents were and the cops left. No custody. No phone calls. No arrests.
Why should the school get custody? Just because they attend school there? Why not the grandparents? Aunt? Uncle? That law is jacked up.

And if there was a natural disater or something, the kid should be given to a relative. The parents forgot to write one on their form? How about asking the kid???? Do you have any relatives in the area? I guarentee you if those parents get killed while they are away, they would much rather not have to deal with the hassle of lodging, feeding, and caring for this kid. Verify relations with grandmom and send him there. The whole thing is just dumb, IMO.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri May 01, 2009 7:25 am

Madison wrote:Sounds to me like a typical abandoned kid issue where the kid becomes a ward of the state. I don't see a problem here, but maybe I'm missing something. :-?

I think you and I have very different definitions of the word "abandoned."
Art Vandelay
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dream_017 » Fri May 01, 2009 8:32 am

Secondhand story :-°
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri May 01, 2009 8:54 am

dream_017 wrote:Secondhand story :-°

QFT...
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Fri May 01, 2009 9:54 am

joejlitz wrote:Why should the school get custody? Just because they attend school there? Why not the grandparents? Aunt? Uncle? That law is jacked up.

And if there was a natural disater or something, the kid should be given to a relative. The parents forgot to write one on their form? How about asking the kid???? Do you have any relatives in the area? I guarentee you if those parents get killed while they are away, they would much rather not have to deal with the hassle of lodging, feeding, and caring for this kid. Verify relations with grandmom and send him there. The whole thing is just dumb, IMO.

What if the kid was injured at school and wasn't able to talk - accidents do happen? Every year when school starts my 2 sons bring these forms home and I have to fill out the section of who should be notifed in case of emergengcy, etc if I can't be located - seems to me this is kinda important and I can't understand why any parent would just this leave section blank. Sorry kid, chalk this one up to your parents.
:-t :-t
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Fri May 01, 2009 2:06 pm

portisfan24 wrote:So it seems like most people have an issue with the school declaring themselves as guardians? Look at it from a different angle. Say there's an earthquake or some disaster and the parents haven't filled out contact forms, would you not want the school to act as guardians? They can't just let the kid go. I know its an extreme example, but as guardians the school has quite a bit of control over the kid, so I don't think insisting on a drug test is out of the question.

I don't so much have a problem with them being the guardian I have a problem with them making decisions like the one above that invade the kids privacy. Like forcing a drug test.

What if the principal caught the kid having sex in the bathroom? Does the principal have the right to take the girl to buy a morning after pill or force the boy to go and get snipped so it doesn't happen again. Slippery slope....sure. But how far can the school go when acting as the guardian.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby joejlitz » Fri May 01, 2009 5:05 pm

stomperrob wrote:
joejlitz wrote:Why should the school get custody? Just because they attend school there? Why not the grandparents? Aunt? Uncle? That law is jacked up.

What if the kid was injured at school and wasn't able to talk - accidents do happen? Every year when school starts my 2 sons bring these forms home and I have to fill out the section of who should be notifed in case of emergengcy, etc if I can't be located - seems to me this is kinda important and I can't understand why any parent would just this leave section blank. Sorry kid, chalk this one up to your parents.
:-t :-t

I don't understand why they did that, either, but in this day and age with the technology we have today, it would take all of two seconds to find a relative with or without the kid being conscious. Allowing the institution of a school to be the custodian is a LAST resort in my opinion.
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Sat May 02, 2009 2:45 am

Art Vandelay wrote:
Madison wrote:Sounds to me like a typical abandoned kid issue where the kid becomes a ward of the state. I don't see a problem here, but maybe I'm missing something. :-?

I think you and I have very different definitions of the word "abandoned."

It's not my definition, I'm stating the way it is.

I know if a child is not picked up from school within 1 hour of the end of school (at least all of my son's schools have had a 1 hour deadline), the kid (be it a 4 year old pre-schooler, a 17 year old high school senior, or anyone between those ages), is considered "abandoned", becomes a ward of the state, and abandonment charges are filed against the parents/guardians. And I've seen it more times than I can count while picking my kid up from after school activities. Parents crying, ticked, begging, while their kid has already been taken to a state facility because they were over an hour late picking their kid up due to traffic, car problems, being sick, falling asleep, whatever, and being informed that they've got to go before a judge because of it.

So in a time sensitive situation when no parent or guardian can be reached, based on the rules/laws that the schools follow, I can see exactly how the school would become a ward of the state and the school would be the child's guardian.

I didn't write the rules, I only said it seemed rather typical to me.

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby joejlitz » Sat May 02, 2009 5:45 am

Madison wrote:
I know if a child is not picked up from school within 1 hour of the end of school (at least all of my son's schools have had a 1 hour deadline), the kid (be it a 4 year old pre-schooler, a 17 year old high school senior, or anyone between those ages), is considered "abandoned", becomes a ward of the state, and abandonment charges are filed against the parents/guardians. And I've seen it more times than I can count while picking my kid up from after school activities. Parents crying, ticked, begging, while their kid has already been taken to a state facility because they were over an hour late picking their kid up due to traffic, car problems, being sick, falling asleep, whatever, and being informed that they've got to go before a judge because of it.

Wow. I had no idea it was that bad these days. My kids aren't school age, yet, but all the more reason they are going to a private school.
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk