Drug Testing - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Drug Testing

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Drug Testing

Postby Dawinner127 » Sat May 02, 2009 11:43 am

Madison wrote:I know if a child is not picked up from school within 1 hour of the end of school (at least all of my son's schools have had a 1 hour deadline), the kid (be it a 4 year old pre-schooler, a 17 year old high school senior, or anyone between those ages), is considered "abandoned", becomes a ward of the state, and abandonment charges are filed against the parents/guardians. And I've seen it more times than I can count while picking my kid up from after school activities. Parents crying, ticked, begging, while their kid has already been taken to a state facility because they were over an hour late picking their kid up due to traffic, car problems, being sick, falling asleep, whatever, and being informed that they've got to go before a judge because of it.

:-* :-* What if a parent or guardian calls the school and notifies them that they'll be there within an hour and five minutes? Or if they stay after because a teacher was giving them extra help? Are their any exceptions?
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 70)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Madison » Sat May 02, 2009 3:57 pm

joejlitz wrote:
Madison wrote:
I know if a child is not picked up from school within 1 hour of the end of school (at least all of my son's schools have had a 1 hour deadline), the kid (be it a 4 year old pre-schooler, a 17 year old high school senior, or anyone between those ages), is considered "abandoned", becomes a ward of the state, and abandonment charges are filed against the parents/guardians. And I've seen it more times than I can count while picking my kid up from after school activities. Parents crying, ticked, begging, while their kid has already been taken to a state facility because they were over an hour late picking their kid up due to traffic, car problems, being sick, falling asleep, whatever, and being informed that they've got to go before a judge because of it.

Wow. I had no idea it was that bad these days. My kids aren't school age, yet, but all the more reason they are going to a private school.

Ok, so school gets out at 3:15, it's now 4:15 and little 8 year old Sally's parent/guardians have not picked her up and the school cannot reach them. What do you feel the school is supposed to do?

Quite surprised as a military man you'd be in favor of parents not being held responsible for not doing their jobs.

Dawinner127 wrote:
Madison wrote:I know if a child is not picked up from school within 1 hour of the end of school (at least all of my son's schools have had a 1 hour deadline), the kid (be it a 4 year old pre-schooler, a 17 year old high school senior, or anyone between those ages), is considered "abandoned", becomes a ward of the state, and abandonment charges are filed against the parents/guardians. And I've seen it more times than I can count while picking my kid up from after school activities. Parents crying, ticked, begging, while their kid has already been taken to a state facility because they were over an hour late picking their kid up due to traffic, car problems, being sick, falling asleep, whatever, and being informed that they've got to go before a judge because of it.

:-* :-* What if a parent or guardian calls the school and notifies them that they'll be there within an hour and five minutes? Or if they stay after because a teacher was giving them extra help? Are their any exceptions?

No clue about the phone call excuse, but that would be a judgement call if the school allowed a parent to pick a kid up beyond that 1 hour, and the school using a judgement call on something much smaller is what started this thread. I mean drug testing a kid is no big deal. If they pass, awesome, no harm no foul. If they fail, then they can get the kid the help he/she needs. Really silly in my mind for that to be a problem given the fact there were no parents/guardians available. But that seems to be a big deal to some people for whatever reason, so using a judgement call as to a phone call excuse as to why a parent is over an hour late picking up their kid is a much larger and more serious issue, so by the logic used by those in this thread, it "should" be zero tolerance. Let the judge decide if the excuse is legit or not. Can't allow the schools to use judgement calls on the small stuff, so they certainly can't use a judgement call on something much larger, right?

Any kind of after school tutoring is approved and worked out, just like after school activities, sports practice, band practice, detention, or whatever. Even then though, once the student is "out" of school, the parents still have 1 hour as far as I am aware.

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby joejlitz » Sun May 03, 2009 6:18 am

Madison wrote:
Ok, so school gets out at 3:15, it's now 4:15 and little 8 year old Sally's parent/guardians have not picked her up and the school cannot reach them. What do you feel the school is supposed to do?

Quite surprised as a military man you'd be in favor of parents not being held responsible for not doing their jobs.

It's not that I don't feel parents shouldn't be held responsible. It's that I don't agree with these repercussions when they aren't.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to General Talk