Martellus Bennett's fantasy outlook - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Martellus Bennett's fantasy outlook

Moderator: Football Moderators

Martellus Bennett's fantasy outlook

Postby mikus » Fri May 01, 2009 11:02 am

Looking for some opinions on the fantasy outlook of Martellus Bennett this season. My next column comes out Tuesday where I profile the Cowboys' passing game sans Terrell Owens, and I have Bennett tagged as the sleeper of the group. I think he showed last year, in limited action, that he can make plays and get the ball in the endzone on occasion (three consecutive weeks at one point last year).

With TO out of the picture, perhaps the Cowboys will dedicate a few more packages to include Bennett in the passing game.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Re: Martellus Bennett's fantasy outlook

Postby LS2throwed » Fri May 01, 2009 1:11 pm

I've talked about Bennett a few times on here whenever a TE thread pops up, but he's a big time sleeper most definately...Dallas ran lots of 2 TE sets last year, and he surprised alot of people by how quickly he caught on last year and Garrett has talked about finding new ways to get him the ball next year.

TO leaving leaves a big void for new play-makers to step up, and Bennett should be a big part of that...Forget the fact that Witten is there and Martellus is the 'back up TE', because his production will say otherwise...He scored 4 TD's last year, I think he'll come closer to 7-8 this year which is very good for a TE, and I'd expect around 500 yards, but the team knows what they have in him and they'll work to get him the ball...He's as physically gifted as any TE in the league, a punishing run blocker that doesn't mind doing the dirty work, but can still stretch the field and cannot be covered by any LB one on one.

He may not get a shot to be "the guy" in Dallas for a few years, but he'll be as productive as any #2 TE as we have seen in some time, and his red zone looks will definately go up...He certainly surprised me by how gifted he was with the ball in his hands, and not many know he was a projected 2nd rounder in the NBA draft out of HS before he pulled his name out and went on to be mis-used at A&M...Anyone in Dallas will tell you he's the superior athlete and specimen over Witten(not that it means much as far as production, or who is the better TE but it is a fact) so you can bank on him at the very least doubling his production across the board in all categories.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Kensat30 » Fri May 01, 2009 2:39 pm

I think Bennett would benefit the most if they moved him to WR actually. Colston part 2. As a TE#2, I think his upside is severely limited. Jason Witten can block and catch and stays all the field all day long. Bennett only has a chance to get involved as a TE when there are patterns drawn up that call for 2 TE routes. Not very many of those in the Cowboy playbook outside of the redzone...
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby LS2throwed » Fri May 01, 2009 3:16 pm

Kensat30 wrote: Bennett only has a chance to get involved as a TE when there are patterns drawn up that call for 2 TE routes. Not very many of those in the Cowboy playbook outside of the redzone...

Actually there is a heavy portion of those type of plays, it's been that way since Parcells was here, that's why the early pick was used on Fasano a few years back, and that's why they felt it was necessary to move him and get Bennett to have a more reliable weapon at the 2nd TE spot...He probably won't move outright because right now the best part about his game is his run blocking, that's what the coaches raved about and he helps alot in that aspect, but I expect him to be split out wide quite a bit as a slot WR though with Witten on the line.

There's already been some people speculating he won't want to re-sign because Witten will likely retire in Dallas, long time away but still.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Kareighuis » Sat May 02, 2009 12:55 pm

I'm faily high on him, for the reasons LS2 gave. Some articles/blurbs of interest-

Speculation the Boys didn't draft a WR because of Bennett

Interestingly, this John Phillips guy from UVa sounds good
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 3)

Postby TheDiplomats » Sat May 02, 2009 11:10 pm

Bennett's biggest obstacle will be his own immaturity. He is a talented guy, but he should stick to playing football and not rapping. :-b
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Return to Football Talk