4%
2 out of the 3
13%
All 3
4%

Total votes : 23

Re: Myspace, Facebook, Twitter

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun May 03, 2009 1:51 pm

I'm a weird fella. I've worked for a couple of Web 2.0's and oddly, I don't use either social network, or at least, to great frequency. I've used Facebook, but I shut it down after college never really needing to use it and I activated it a year ago when I needed it as a developer test account for Facebook apps. Myspace was social Chernobyl about five or six years ago and I've sworn I wouldn't join in. I just don't find the need for social networks when I already have my messenger and Skype accounts to keep in touch, but I do see the usefulness, virtue, and fun in all of them. I consider myself a lot more low-maintenance than other 20-somethings. I also have a Linkedin, but I only check that one every five or six months it seems.

I thought Twitter was the dumbest thing ever when it was first introduced, but I give kudos to them. Like Facebook or Myspace, there's beauty in simplicity and while they're nowhere near the popularity of those two, I find the hype and their growth impressive.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby portisfan24 » Sun May 03, 2009 7:45 pm

I use crackbook pretty frequently. Usually check it for about 5 mins every day or two.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun May 03, 2009 9:40 pm

Can someone tell me what the appeal of Twitter is? I feel like it's so pointless. If I wanted to know what you were doing, I would just ask you, I wouldn't bother going onto a website just to see what you posted. Also, I feel like at some point it becomes creepy, because you're basically just looking into the mundane activities that make up someone's day. I don't get it, so to me, it's just weird.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bungle613 » Sun May 03, 2009 11:33 pm

Have never used Myspace and still don't know what Twitter is even though it is mentioned everywhere now.

I did go on facebook for the first time about a month ago... went to look up my very first girlfriend and found her... lesson is.... don't EVER go and look up your very first girlfriend if the last time you saw her was 15 years ago. She was gorgeous from 10 (first met her) to 19 (last time I saw her) and now... I mean she isn't horrendous but, honestly guys, leave the fantasy alone.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun May 03, 2009 11:34 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Can someone tell me what the appeal of Twitter is? I feel like it's so pointless. If I wanted to know what you were doing, I would just ask you, I wouldn't bother going onto a website just to see what you posted. Also, I feel like at some point it becomes creepy, because you're basically just looking into the mundane activities that make up someone's day. I don't get it, so to me, it's just weird.

Because it's easier to find out what you're doing without having to ask you. The thing with social networking - and to a deeper extent, microblogging - is that even if you're living at a hectic pace, you can know what say, 50 of your friends (to different degrees) are doing on any given day. Essentially, time used for phone breaks/down time at work can be used for Facebook/Myspace/Twitter and you can get up to speed with not just one person (say, your girlfriend/wife) but a ton of them in a relatively small chunk of time. I can also communicate in small blurbs to whatever my friends are doing and once the next little spell of down time comes around, I could repeat the process of catching up.

I agree that Twitter is rather pointless - and personally, I wouldn't care much about Twittering either - but I can see the simple fun in it. It's not just a way to stay in touch with friends, but also interconnect with people you otherwise aren't likely to (i.e. athletes, celebrities). Twitter is just that extension of Myspace/Facebook even if the idea in and of itself isn't particularly original or useful on paper.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun May 03, 2009 11:39 pm

bungle613 wrote:Have never used Myspace and still don't know what Twitter is even though it is mentioned everywhere now.

I did go on facebook for the first time about a month ago... went to look up my very first girlfriend and found her... lesson is.... don't EVER go and look up your very first girlfriend if the last time you saw her was 15 years ago. She was gorgeous from 10 (first met her) to 19 (last time I saw her) and now... I mean she isn't horrendous but, honestly guys, leave the fantasy alone.

A couple of years ago, I looked up my first ex too and I admit, I said to myself I dodged a bullet. She looked fine back then, but she looked way older than her age at that time I peered at her profile.

Hmmm...actually I looked her up just now and not bad at all. Must have been a few bad pics back then.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby dream_017 » Mon May 04, 2009 8:55 am

I have Facebook, I can't stand Myspace and I just don't get Twitter
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 55)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon May 04, 2009 9:15 am

none for me...and i really hate Twitter
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby The_Captain » Mon May 04, 2009 2:23 pm

dream_017 wrote:I have Facebook, I can't stand Myspace and I just don't get Twitter

Ditto.

I like Facebook quite a bit - I've been able to reconnect with old friends (high school/college) I had previously lost contact with which is very cool. I've also been able to get to know some of the cafe folks who have FB accounts.

"This is your captain calling--with an urgent warning" - The The
The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Mon May 04, 2009 2:26 pm

The_Captain wrote:
dream_017 wrote:I have Facebook, I can't stand Myspace and I just don't get Twitter

Ditto.

I like Facebook quite a bit - I've been able to reconnect with old friends (high school/college) I had previously lost contact with which is very cool. I've also been able to get to know some of the cafe folks who have FB accounts.

Same. There's actually a Fantasy Cafe group on FB.

Finding old friends, and reconnecting with folks I've worked with in the past for networking reasons, too.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk