4%
2 out of the 3
13%
All 3
4%

Total votes : 23

Re: Myspace, Facebook, Twitter

Postby joejlitz » Mon May 04, 2009 6:12 pm

treat24 wrote:Where is "none" as an option?

myspace: No, I'm 29 and married. It would be a little sad for me to need this at my age and life situation. Somehow, I managed to find a life recently. I tried it and canceled after a mere week or two a long time ago.

facebook: No, I'm 29 and married. It would be a little sad for me to need this at my age and life situation. Somehow, I managed to find a life recently. I tried it and canceled after a mere week or two a long time ago.

twitter: i tried it for awhile, now it's bored me as well.

Basically, Jason Segal said it best. If I'm not talking to you, it's not because I don't know how to find you.
:-b :-b

I don't use any of them either. I'm married with kids and while it would be good to find out what some old friends are doing, all the people I know primarily use FB and MS for hooking up. I don't need some ex trying to contact me and causing an argument with my wife and I wouldn't want that to happen in reverse either.

I do wish I knew about these before they went big though. I would love to have gotten their stock at the ground floor!
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby scottaa1 » Mon May 04, 2009 6:20 pm

I don't see how age or marital status has anything to do with FB. At what age are you 'too old' to keep in touch with people on a social website? At what point are you 'too married' to be able to use a social website? I'm sure some people use it for hooking up, but not everyone. Just keep your profile private so only you can allow people in to your page/post on your wall/read anything about you/etc., and there would be no issue of ex's or stalkers making life difficult.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Nfl Fan » Mon May 04, 2009 6:52 pm

I got facebook, mainly 'cause my kids are there. But it's kinda fun hooking up with old friends too. And the quizzes are kinda fun too.
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon May 04, 2009 6:59 pm

scottaa1 wrote:I don't see how age or marital status has anything to do with FB. At what age are you 'too old' to keep in touch with people on a social website? At what point are you 'too married' to be able to use a social website? I'm sure some people use it for hooking up, but not everyone. Just keep your profile private so only you can allow people in to your page/post on your wall/read anything about you/etc., and there would be no issue of ex's or stalkers making life difficult.

i think this part of Treats quote sums it up (and Joes post)

Basically, Jason Segal said it best. If I'm not talking to you, it's not because I don't know how to find you.
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby scottaa1 » Mon May 04, 2009 7:01 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:

Great, then don't talk to people you don't want to talk to on FB. What does that have to do with anything? :-?
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby joejlitz » Mon May 04, 2009 7:49 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:

Great, then don't talk to people you don't want to talk to on FB. What does that have to do with anything? :-?

What went unmentioned is that I already spend about an hour a day on FFCafe and then more time on email, paying bills, etc. I already feel like it's too much time away from my kids and my wife. If my wife and I both got a social network site, between work, the computer, working out, and the need to relax from time to time, neither of us would play with our kids.

I'm fine with the phone and an occasional email.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby Tyeattolah » Mon May 04, 2009 11:12 pm

ditto, don't belong to any yet...but thinking about facebook if any of them.
Tyeattolah
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Tue May 05, 2009 12:07 am

Tyeattolah wrote:

ditto, don't belong to any yet...but thinking about facebook if any of them.

I like myspace for band stuff, show info, tour dates and whatnot, I use Facebook more to keep in touch with my peeps.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue May 05, 2009 7:45 am

scottaa1 wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:

scottaa1 wrote:I don't see how age or marital status has anything to do with FB. At what age are you 'too old' to keep in touch with people on a social website? At what point are you 'too married' to be able to use a social website? I'm sure some people use it for hooking up, but not everyone. Just keep your profile private so only you can allow people in to your page/post on your wall/read anything about you/etc., and there would be no issue of ex's or stalkers making life difficult.

maybe i misinterpreted your quote...anyway, personally...i have no use for the social networking sites...as an older, married guy i dont feel a need to reconnect with people i havent seen in 10 years...i have enough friends that i can email or see in person when i want.

not dogging the people that like it, it's just not for me
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby treat24 » Tue May 05, 2009 8:01 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:
scottaa1 wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:

maybe i misinterpreted your quote...anyway, personally...i have no use for the social networking sites...as an older, married guy i dont feel a need to reconnect with people i havent seen in 10 years...i have enough friends that i can email or see in person when i want.

not dogging the people that like it, it's just not for me

Since my post was involved in this as well i thought I would also say I didn't mean to offend. Upon rereading mine... I think some people could read "it would be sad for me" and misinterpret it as: "it would be sad for a person" ... not true. To each there own. For me... that would be digressing. I'm no longer around here much because I'm spending more time in real life with my friends and family and mostly my wife. We are traveling and walking and biking and running and enjoying smelling the roses (or lilacs as the case may actually be :)). I can get in contact with all the people that matter to me as an older married man. At bare minimum, I can find someone I want to talk to that I haven't in a long time if the need arises. Needing a social networking site at my stage in life would be a digression back FOR ME. Other people love them and have fun... cool for them. I'm with Dan on his above statement. I think it's just a different stage of life or attitude towards life.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk