Who is the #3 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Who is the #3 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Who is the #3 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Poll ended at Thu May 07, 2009 11:14 am

RB Donald Brown, Indianapolis
16
43%
RB LeSean McCoy, Philadelphia
0
No votes
WR Michael Crabtree, San Francisco
16
43%
WR Jeremy Maclin, Philadelphia
3
8%
WR Percy Harvin, Minnesota
2
5%
Other (please explain)
0
No votes
 
Total votes : 37

Who is the #3 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Postby The Lung » Sun May 03, 2009 11:14 am

Who is the #3 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts? You are voting on who will have the best fantasy football production in the NFL over the next 5 or 6 years with the team on which the player was just drafted, NOT who will have the best year in 2009. Assume standard scoring (1 pt. per 10 yards rushing / receiving, and no PPR) Also please assume that you have a balanced roster and don't have a great specific need for a QB, WR, etc.

Feel free to discuss the pros and cons of these players - this could be helpful for some and generate some good discussion. If you'd like to vote for a player NOT on this list, then please vote "other" and make a post to discuss the player. ;-D

Previous polls
1.01 RB Chris "Beanie" Wells, Arizona
1.02 RB Knowshon Moreno, Denver
(~);}

Image

(~);}
The Lung
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 9850
(Past Year: 61)
Joined: 2 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Disgusted with Mocha Bean

Re: Who is the #3 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Postby smackthefirst » Sun May 03, 2009 11:49 am

With Wells and Moreno lined up at 1-2, I've got to go with Crabtree here. The only other option in my mind is DBrown but I'm not ready to pass the torch in Indy yet. Even though Addai is clearly not the answer for the Colt's brass, I don't see them cutting ties with him or having him ride the bench immediately. At best I see a committee between the 2 for at least 2-3 years. In that situation, even if Brown gets the majority of the carries, I don't foresee enough production to jump Crabtree for the third spot.

Now onto Crabtree. He is immediately coming in as the best WR the 49ers have and will immediately start and get plenty of looks. Many will argue about the QB situation, but that will most likely only last for one more year. If none of them step up this year, then I clearly see the 49ers targeting either Bradford or McCoy and they've got the ammo to do it with 2 1st round picks next year. Also, depending on the league settings regarding PPR, Crabtree may be even more valuable as the 49ers will most likely employ a few WR screen type plays to get the ball into Crabtree's hands and let him work for the YAC. The PPR doesn't apply to this poll, but I just wanted to point out that in a PPR, I could even see the argument for Crabtree being higher than 3rd. I also know the history of rookie WR production, but there's always the exceptions. And considering Crabtree's abilities, I think he has a very good chance to be one of those exceptions.
Image
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Posts: 2646
Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: MD

Re: Who is the #3 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Postby Kareighuis » Sun May 03, 2009 12:21 pm

smackthefirst wrote:With Wells and Moreno lined up at 1-2, I've got to go with Crabtree here. The only other option in my mind is DBrown but I'm not ready to pass the torch in Indy yet. Even though Addai is clearly not the answer for the Colt's brass, I don't see them cutting ties with him or having him ride the bench immediately. At best I see a committee between the 2 for at least 2-3 years. In that situation, even if Brown gets the majority of the carries, I don't foresee enough production to jump Crabtree for the third spot.

Now onto Crabtree. He is immediately coming in as the best WR the 49ers have and will immediately start and get plenty of looks. Many will argue about the QB situation, but that will most likely only last for one more year. If none of them step up this year, then I clearly see the 49ers targeting either Bradford or McCoy and they've got the ammo to do it with 2 1st round picks next year. Also, depending on the league settings regarding PPR, Crabtree may be even more valuable as the 49ers will most likely employ a few WR screen type plays to get the ball into Crabtree's hands and let him work for the YAC. The PPR doesn't apply to this poll, but I just wanted to point out that in a PPR, I could even see the argument for Crabtree being higher than 3rd. I also know the history of rookie WR production, but there's always the exceptions. And considering Crabtree's abilities, I think he has a very good chance to be one of those exceptions.


I gotta go Brown. Addai's there, but the focus is best FF production over the next 5-6 years. There likely will be a timeshare in the near-term future, but I can't see Bill Polian investing a 1st round pick in someone who won't dominate his position shortly. After 2006, Marvin Harrison was coming off a 1366 yards, 12 TD season to extend his streak of a minimum 1100+ yards and 10+ touchdowns to 8 seasons. Still, the Colts drafted Anthony Gonzalez high. A freak injury and roster cut two years later and Gonzalez is starting, Marvin's looking for a job.
Donald Brown is a perfect piece as Indy's RB- inside/outside running game, receiving ability, willing blocker. With all the RBs that have or will shortly be ending their years of FF usefulness (LT, Thomas Jones, Jamal Lewis, Portis, Westbrook, LenDale White), acquiring one of the young RBs nearly guaranteed to produce immediately and for the length of his career would be a wise move for any team.

I love Crabtree. But, reports of his prima-dona attitude lead to questions about his work ethic. A WR coming from a spread offense will need to put in a lot of work to come up to par. He has decent speed, but nothing spectacular. He's big and competitive- a real redzone threat, but not much of a YAC threat. I see a young Plaxico, at least at the beginning. While that potential for near-weekly TDs is tantalizing, the off-weeks, unleavened by decent yardage totals, could lead to horrendous low points.
And then there's the issue with the QBs. Alex Smith and Shaun Hill hardly strike any fear into D-Coords at all; Damon Huard is a roster spot at this point. So, with the 2 1sts Smack points out, they could move up to get a top QB prospect next year- McCoy, Bradford, et al. But you then suddenly are dealing with a young WR, with questions about his work ethic while dealing with the transition from a college spread offense to the NFL, catching passes from a rookie QB.

smackthefirst wrote:I also know the history of rookie WR production, but there's always the exceptions. And considering Crabtree's abilities, I think he has a very good chance to be one of those exceptions.


There certainly are exceptions, the most recent being Calvin Johnson and perhaps Andre Johnson. And, while Crabtree is good young WR, most believe he is not in that category right now, and perhaps not in the tier period- most would say Crabtree isn't an exception.

Crabtree is a talent, but the lag time he's facing will likely stretching into the next 3 years, if not more. Since the question is who will have better FF production the next 5-6 years, not who will have the highest career production, I think Donald Brown deserves to be nominated overwhelmingly- he will produce right away and could well grab the feature RB role in an explosive Indy offense.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Posts: 3627
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 14 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Who is the #3 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Postby aaawall91 » Sun May 03, 2009 1:18 pm

Kareighuis wrote:With all the RBs that have or will shortly be ending their years of FF usefulness (LT, Thomas Jones, Jamal Lewis, Portis, Westbrook, LenDale White),



Where is LenDale White going?

He is entering his fourth season in the NFL...last year he put up almost 800 yards and 15 TDs...I can't image he is going any where...

Portis isn't that old either and has consistently been putting up between 1.2 k and 1.5 k yards a season...
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 9934
(Past Year: 62)
Joined: 15 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: East Lansing

Re: Who is the #3 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Postby steelerfan513 » Sun May 03, 2009 3:06 pm

This is rightfully split down the middle between Brown and Crabtree. I went with Brown, but there's a negligible difference between the two IMO.
Image
Image
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Posts: 11906
Joined: 15 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Who is the #3 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun May 03, 2009 3:22 pm

I have Brown before Moreno, so Brown here
Image
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18976
Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: On an Island

Re: Who is the #3 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Postby LS2throwed » Sun May 03, 2009 3:26 pm

I have Brown as my #1 so I have to go with him here, Indy didn't even need a RB there, and there were some really good DT prospects available but they knew what they were getting in Brown, Indy has a great draft history for 1st rounders to help Peyton anyway, and I don't think Addai is tough enough and is going to fall out of grace with the coaches pretty soon.
Image
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Posts: 5373
Joined: 21 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Arlington, Texas

Re: Who is the #3 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun May 03, 2009 4:40 pm

LS2throwed wrote:I have Brown as my #1 so I have to go with him here, Indy didn't even need a RB there, and there were some really good DT prospects available but they knew what they were getting in Brown, Indy has a great draft history for 1st rounders to help Peyton anyway, and I don't think Addai is tough enough and is going to fall out of grace with the coaches pretty soon.



The Colts made it pretty evident to me that they love brown and he was the guy they wanted in that draft
Image
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18976
Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: On an Island

Re: Who is the #3 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun May 03, 2009 4:45 pm

If it were just a poll about who would be best next year, I would have gone with Donald Brown, but I think that physically, Crabtree is an absolute freak, so because of the nature of the poll, it's Michael Crabtree. Regardless of which wins, I'll be voting for the other in the #4 poll.
Image

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 7746
Joined: 11 May 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The Big House

Re: Who is the #3 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Postby mattb47 » Sun May 03, 2009 5:12 pm

I have Brown as my #2 on my sheets after Moreno so I'd go with him here. I like Crabtree a lot too and I don't think there's a monstrous drop or anything like that but I see Brown as being the starting RB in Indy for years and the starting RB in an offense of that caliber is fantasy gold.
Image
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 14238
Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 11:43 hours
(and 36 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact