Who is the #3 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who is the #3 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Who is the #3 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Poll ended at Thu May 07, 2009 11:14 am

RB Donald Brown, Indianapolis
43%
RB LeSean McCoy, Philadelphia
No votes
WR Michael Crabtree, San Francisco
43%
WR Jeremy Maclin, Philadelphia
8%
WR Percy Harvin, Minnesota
5%
Other (please explain)
No votes

Total votes : 37

Re: Who is the #3 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Postby TheDiplomats » Sun May 03, 2009 6:28 pm

LS2throwed wrote:I have Brown as my #1 so I have to go with him here, Indy didn't even need a RB there, and there were some really good DT prospects available but they knew what they were getting in Brown, Indy has a great draft history for 1st rounders to help Peyton anyway, and I don't think Addai is tough enough and is going to fall out of grace with the coaches pretty soon.

This is a good point. As many of you guys pointed out, Polian has had great success with his first rounders in the past and Brown is the right guy here. ;-D Brown is a near perfect complement to Manning as he has sure hands and is great on misdirects and draws.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun May 03, 2009 6:35 pm

TheDiplomats wrote:
LS2throwed wrote:I have Brown as my #1 so I have to go with him here, Indy didn't even need a RB there, and there were some really good DT prospects available but they knew what they were getting in Brown, Indy has a great draft history for 1st rounders to help Peyton anyway, and I don't think Addai is tough enough and is going to fall out of grace with the coaches pretty soon.

This is a good point. As many of you guys pointed out, Polian has had great success with his first rounders in the past and Brown is the right guy here. ;-D Brown is a near perfect complement to Manning as he has sure hands and is great on misdirects and draws.

While this is true, none of it changes the fact that the Indy backfield is still very crowded. You may think Addai will begin to get less time, but that will still take time to occur. After that, there is still Mike Hart who will at the very least get a chance to compete for the job with Brown. Then, Brown needs to win the job over both of those guys enough so that he gets significant carries (as opposed to having a 3 way split) AND THEN be effective with those carries.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Instinctive » Sun May 03, 2009 7:13 pm

What about Jeremy Maclin???

With his great landing spot and incredible abilities to gain YAC along with Phillies offense, I think he could easily garner Royal/DJax numbers this season and easily outperform what a guy liek Dwayne Bowe has doen in his 2nd year.

Having watche dhim play a lot with our southern Big 12 coverage and the ILL game to start last season, I think Maclin ha sa lot of talent, and Reid is the kind of guy who will definitely be tapping into it.
Fourth and Inches (Dynasty)
Zealots: 4, 39, 56
Cafe Very Special Forces (Dynasty)
General Manager Wannabees
Frozen Tundra (Dynasty)
Instinctive
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafeholic

Postby mattb47 » Sun May 03, 2009 7:35 pm

Instinctive wrote:What about Jeremy Maclin???

With his great landing spot and incredible abilities to gain YAC along with Phillies offense, I think he could easily garner Royal/DJax numbers this season and easily outperform what a guy liek Dwayne Bowe has doen in his 2nd year.

Having watche dhim play a lot with our southern Big 12 coverage and the ILL game to start last season, I think Maclin ha sa lot of talent, and Reid is the kind of guy who will definitely be tapping into it.

Maclin has plenty of upside but he's still relatively "raw" as a Pro WR and there will likely be a learning curve for him like there is with all but the very elite WRs in this league. The thing to realize is that players that do well their rookie seasons...the guys like Randy Moss, Anquan Boldin, Larry Fitzgerald, Marques Colston, etc...are very rare and are the exceptions rather than the rule. Even a guy as talented as Calvin Johnson didn't perform great in his rookie year...Crabtree isn't even a guy that can be looked to be "depended on" by any means in his rookie season.

Maclin isn't even the best speedy receiver on his own team and there's still Kevin Curtis there who is a solid veteran receiver...I'd expect him to be the #3 WR there at best which means he's at best the #4 option offensively with Westbrook way ahead of him as well. It's really tough to make the argument that he should even be considered ahead of guys like Brown and Crabtree.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Kareighuis » Sun May 03, 2009 9:58 pm

aaawall91 wrote:
Kareighuis wrote:With all the RBs that have or will shortly be ending their years of FF usefulness (LT, Thomas Jones, Jamal Lewis, Portis, Westbrook, LenDale White),

Where is LenDale White going?

He is entering his fourth season in the NFL...last year he put up almost 800 yards and 15 TDs...I can't image he is going any where...

Portis isn't that old either and has consistently been putting up between 1.2 k and 1.5 k yards a season...

LenDale is entering a contract year. The issues he created for the team last year (post-game rants, stomping on the terrible towel during a regular season win) did not help create and maintain the team-first focus Fisher wants. Instead, they drafted Javon Ringer, a complimentary back with a strong lower body who runs hard, is tough and highly competitive with great intangibles.
Remember, this is LenWhale, the Marshmallow man, Mr Creampuff, whatever derisive term you've heard.
I think nothing of him. All the stats in the world can't compensate for the numerous and glaring character issues- by the end of the upcoming season, I anticipate he'll be looking for a contract somewhere, anywhere. If he could turn himself into Jerome Betts (fat power-focused RB with no speed but intangibles through the roof), then I wouldn't think so poorly of him.

Over his career, Portis has gotten serious run- he might be running on rims soon. Remember the sudden drops in production by recent top-tier RBs- LT comes to mind most readily. Get a look at the Draft/Trade/Keeper forum- a number of OPs are considering trades involving Portis in keeper/dynasty leagues, like this one.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby aaawall91 » Sun May 03, 2009 10:33 pm

Just because people are considering trading a player doesn't mean he is going to be worthless in the next year or two...

[quote=mattb47]The guy is pretty much a lock for 350 touches each season and double digit TDs and this season will be no different.[/quote]

No offense to anyone in that thread, but the the guy who said the above quote's opinion I respect the most. I just don't see what the worry of Portis is. Also stated in that thread he isn't even 28 yet! (and I posted a reply in that thread you linked as well)

And if you think LenWhale's career is over you are mistaken. He is young, can pound the ball, and get yardage. He may or may not fit in in Tennessee, but he will find work in the NFL. After all the NFL is basically all a 2+ back system. A Thunder and Lightning if you will. One pounds one makes plays. And LenWhale can pound and get yardage. Which puts him above most short yardage backs in the league.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby Kareighuis » Mon May 04, 2009 1:35 am

aaawall91 wrote:Just because people are considering trading a player doesn't mean he is going to be worthless in the next year or two...

No, I would never argue that about Portis right now. What I am saying is that there are those who would agree with you that he's still a top-tier RB, while others would agree with me that are considering (not wanting, considering) getting out before the wheels fall off. The trick with those trades is getting value for recent and anticipated near-future output while accounting for how near his decline could likely be.

aaawall91 wrote:
mattb47 wrote:The guy is pretty much a lock for 350 touches each season and double digit TDs and this season will be no different.

No offense to anyone in that thread, but the the guy who said the above quote's opinion I respect the most. I just don't see what the worry of Portis is. Also stated in that thread he isn't even 28 yet! (and I posted a reply in that thread you linked as well)

That's fine- I'm OK with being a close second. :-b
He is young (-ish...), but look at his output totals for his career-
year- carries (carries+catches)/(games played)= avg c+c
2002- 273 (306)/(16)= 19.125
2003- 290 (328)/(13)= 25.23
2004- 343 (383)/(15)= 25.53
2005- 352 (382)/(16)= 23.87
2006- 127 (144)/(8)= 18.00 (injured)
2007- 325 (372)/(16)= 23.25
2008- 342 (370)/(16)= 23.12

That kind of consistent production takes a toll.

aaawall91 wrote:And if you think LenWhale's career is over you are mistaken. He is young, can pound the ball, and get yardage. He may or may not fit in in Tennessee, but he will find work in the NFL. After all the NFL is basically all a 2+ back system. A Thunder and Lightning if you will. One pounds one makes plays. And LenWhale can pound and get yardage. Which puts him above most short yardage backs in the league.

Again, I'm not saying his career is over. I'm saying if he doesn't mend his ways, then it could likely be. I'm willing to bet he won't. Michael Vick, Jerome Bettis, Kerry Collins, Jake Delhomme, Ryan Leaf, Vince Young, Muhsin Muhammad, Jon Kitna, Brett Favre, Chad Pennington and Vinny Testaverde have all shown that no matter how talented one is (or is not), character/personality/intangibles is/are incredibly, perhaps overwhelmingly, important.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby moochman » Mon May 04, 2009 12:09 pm

I am going way off the reservation here and expect no one to agree, but I think Percy Harvin is the best dynasty pick at #3. The dude has skills no other player has and should he conquere his demons he is in a great place to show an immediate impact. With Berrian and AD taking the D's attention, Harvey won't have to run great routes to get open and he is a great kick returner. This guy is a threat to go all the way everytime he touches the ball. I likee.

Brown goes to a crowded house.
Crabtree has more attitude than he does QB, not a good combo.
Macklin, I like to produce quicker than most, but he is another version of DeSean Jackson. Not sure how well that is going to work out.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Humpback » Mon May 04, 2009 1:34 pm

I've heard the arguments that the Colts have had great success with their #1 picks (and agree they've been good), but doesn't that also run counter to the argument in a way? I mean, either Addai is going to follow in the footsteps of their great picks and be good enough to at least limit Brown, or they made a mistake with Addai and he's not as good as they thought, which means it's possible the same thing happened with Brown.

I do like Brown, but just wanted to point that out.
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby aaawall91 » Mon May 04, 2009 1:40 pm

Kareighuis wrote:
aaawall91 wrote:Just because people are considering trading a player doesn't mean he is going to be worthless in the next year or two...

No, I would never argue that about Portis right now. What I am saying is that there are those who would agree with you that he's still a top-tier RB, while others would agree with me that are considering (not wanting, considering) getting out before the wheels fall off. The trick with those trades is getting value for recent and anticipated near-future output while accounting for how near his decline could likely be.

aaawall91 wrote:
mattb47 wrote:The guy is pretty much a lock for 350 touches each season and double digit TDs and this season will be no different.

That's fine- I'm OK with being a close second. :-b
He is young (-ish...), but look at his output totals for his career-
year- carries (carries+catches)/(games played)= avg c+c
2002- 273 (306)/(16)= 19.125
2003- 290 (328)/(13)= 25.23
2004- 343 (383)/(15)= 25.53
2005- 352 (382)/(16)= 23.87
2006- 127 (144)/(8)= 18.00 (injured)
2007- 325 (372)/(16)= 23.25
2008- 342 (370)/(16)= 23.12

That kind of consistent production takes a toll.

aaawall91 wrote:And if you think LenWhale's career is over you are mistaken. He is young, can pound the ball, and get yardage. He may or may not fit in in Tennessee, but he will find work in the NFL. After all the NFL is basically all a 2+ back system. A Thunder and Lightning if you will. One pounds one makes plays. And LenWhale can pound and get yardage. Which puts him above most short yardage backs in the league.

Again, I'm not saying his career is over. I'm saying if he doesn't mend his ways, then it could likely be. I'm willing to bet he won't. Michael Vick, Jerome Bettis, Kerry Collins, Jake Delhomme, Ryan Leaf, Vince Young, Muhsin Muhammad, Jon Kitna, Brett Favre, Chad Pennington and Vinny Testaverde have all shown that no matter how talented one is (or is not), character/personality/intangibles is/are incredibly, perhaps overwhelmingly, important.

I hate to continue to stay off topic but...

I'm not sure what that whole last paragraph is about exactly...You have Micheal Vick, Ryan Leaf, and Brett Farve all in the same sentence...

But my point is Portis is young to put in to perspective only 3 years older than Jets rookie back Shonn Greene. I say he has at least 3 more seasons like his previous as the must unrecognized high profile running back who is a consistent producer.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk