Clemens ahead of Sanchez? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Clemens ahead of Sanchez?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Clemens ahead of Sanchez?

Postby mattb47 » Thu May 07, 2009 11:47 pm

biju wrote:I really think the Jets are making a big mistake if they rush Sanchez onto the field. People look at recent successes and think a rookie QB is going to turn the team around, yet forget about Joey Harrington who was clearly rushed into a situation. Yes, the Jets aren't nearly as bad as that Lions team but it still makes sense to let him get some time in before throwing him into the fire.

I don't think the situation he's in would make it terrible to start him this season...considering that they have a good, young offensive line and a few good RBs now with Jones, Washington, and Greene and now a good defensive minded coach to get that side of the ball in order and you've got yourself a situation that they just need a game manager. It's going to be more similar to the role Joe Flacco was asked to fill when he began starting and I think Sanchez can be solid in that role for them this season.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby LS2throwed » Fri May 08, 2009 1:41 am

I agree, when you look closer to that Flacco situation there was a stat I read somewhere that Cam Cameron kept majority of Flacco's throws to the outside to protect him in a sense...Sanchez wouldn't be unleashed right away, he has a franchise LT and C with good pieces in between, and they will be primarily running anyway, the defense should carry that team, and they'll ask him to make a few throws a game...They won't throw too much at him right away, and he won't be asked to make all the throws.

With that said, it would only help him to sit, and Clemens is good enough to do what they would want Sanchez to do anyway, but I think they want Sanchez learning on the fly, getting valuable game experience that you can't get sitting on the bench...Usually it's a disaster when a rookie QB has no offensive line, no running game, and no defense, those were the downfalls of David Carr and Joey Harrington, the Jets are pretty stacked across the board except WR.

If I'm a Jets fan I want him to sit this year, but that won't happen, and I don't think he'll fail either, but I'd always prefer my QB sitting and getting the mental aspect down before asking him to do the physical things.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby moochman » Fri May 08, 2009 2:02 pm

This is the danger in drafting a QB so high. You commit so much coin to them that the temptation to play him is very hard to resist. Sanchez hasn't had much PT in school and probably could use a season to get a feel for the NFL and Jets style. I think both Flacco and Ryan were much more seasoned collegiate QBs.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Previous

Return to Football Talk