Trade analyzer software? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Trade analyzer software?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Trade analyzer software?

Postby rjski40 » Mon May 04, 2009 6:18 pm

Hello,

I am new here, so I am not sure if I am posting it in the right spot. I just wanted to know if anyone knew of any trade analyzing software to purchase to use for our league. I was hoping for some software that would analyze player for player first and foremost, then maybe multiple players for players and lastly players for picks. I have found free ones like on http://www.kffl.com, but I can't find a good one. I don't mind paying for it either. We have a lot of problems with managers voting on trades and it becomes a hassle year in and year out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you have specific questions about our league if it helps determine a better software, ask away. Thank you in advance.

rjski
rjski40
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Trade analyzer software?

Postby dream_017 » Tue May 05, 2009 7:28 am

Welcome to the Cafe ;-D

Personally, I'm not a fan of voting for trades. There are way too many factors that go into a trade. It is just not to make sure that the players are comparable, you need to look at rosters, injuries, starting requirements, etc. Each players value is subect to the team that wants or need them. There are a number of threads here at the Cafe discussing vetoes(owners voting). I would say the vast majority are against league votes for trades, although for some reason many leagues still actually have league votes :-P

My guess would be that any software would basically be looking more at stats compared to player upside, value. I'll go grab a couple threads for you to read with more discussion. ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby dream_017 » Tue May 05, 2009 7:43 am

Here is a post that I use often:

dream_017 wrote:Here are 2 quotes that I have seen around the cafe and totally agree with regarding the veto of trades:
The Balanced Man wrote:
Here is what my league uses as a standard to judge. Don't know if it helps:

1. FAIRNESS IS when the trade reasonably benefits both teams involved.

2. There is a Presumption of Fairness for all trades.

3. Three Factors involved in what reasonably benefits both include: Statistics, Potentiality, and Team Needs.

4. In order to reject a trade, you should feel that there are no reasonable benefits to both teams in Statistics Potentiality, and Team Needs. Hence, if one or more Factor is reasonably fair for both sides, and they are reasonably equivilent, the trade should be UPHELD. If no factor are reasonably fair, The Trade should be REJECTED.

5. The case may also exist where on player is high on one factor, and the other player is high on another. For example, one may want to trade a player that has very high potential (Ex: Steven Jackson) for a Player that is Statistically Superior (Ex: Andre Johnson). This trade should be accepted as long as you feel that it reasonably benefits both teams, even though the benefits to the teams do not derive from the same factor.

6. Statistics- Look at this by examining how statistics compare. The league suggests considering three year player averages, last years stats, and the stats for the current year.

7. Team Needs- Team Needs include: The need to fill a position (EX: A team is short on Quality RB), The need to change team structure in order to win more games (EX: I am 4-5 and need different personnel to gain different results), and the need to add depth to ones roster.

8. Potentiality- Potentiality is when a player has a chance to score many more points in upcoming weeks than they have previously. (EX: A RB starting because a starter will not play, addition of a Stud QB to an offense that will make a WR that much better, etc. However, a current stud player does not have any potential. A stud is statistically superior, but there is little chance that they will score many more points in upcoming weeks as compared to former weeks.

flyhigh wrote:
I would only block a trade or vote to veto one if I believed that the two owners were in collusion, one owner was dumping players because he was out of the playoffs, or if one owner was being scammed (ie. didn't know about a serious injury).

Who am I to judge how another owner wants to run his team. If he just enjoys having his favorite players on a team, or has a hunch about someone that others don't agree with, that should not stop a trade...........IMO

Here is another good discussion
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby glackk » Tue May 05, 2009 4:19 pm

Totally agree with dream_017 here. When I first started playing ff, I was a fan of vetoes and allowing the majority to decide the fairness of a trade. BUT, I've been converted through experience and through arguments against it posted here at the cafe. Several times I've had managers in leagues I'm in saying "X trade doesn't benefit me, and it makes 2 other teams better, so logically I should veto it". It's true that a trade you're not involved in will not benefit you, but you shouldn't be able to stop the trade because of it. Screw democracy and the free market, a benevolent dictatorship is more efficient and fair. ;-)

I never use trade analyzers as a commissioner's tool, and I hardly ever use trade analyzers for personal use. When I do use them, it's only as an additional input to consider when making my trade decision. I find that I get MUCH MUCH better advice from posting questions here at the cafe, where all factors can be taken into account. ;-D
glackk
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby glackk » Tue May 05, 2009 4:23 pm

glackk wrote:Totally agree with dream_017 here. When I first started playing ff, I was a fan of vetoes and allowing the majority to decide the fairness of a trade. BUT, I've been converted through experience and through arguments against it posted here at the cafe. Several times I've had managers in leagues I'm in saying "X trade doesn't benefit me, and it makes 2 other teams better, so logically I should veto it". It's true that a trade you're not involved in will not benefit you, but you shouldn't be able to stop the trade because of it. Screw democracy and the free market, a benevolent dictatorship is more efficient and fair. ;-)

I never use trade analyzers as a commissioner's tool, and I hardly ever use trade analyzers for personal use. When I do use them, it's only as an additional input to consider when making my trade decision. I find that I get MUCH MUCH better advice from posting questions here at the cafe, where all factors can be taken into account. ;-D

By the way, the one that I used was Fantasy Football Starters. A little better than KFFL and I think it's still free with registration. I used it maybe twice the entire year. Easier and better getting input from the Cafe.
glackk
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby rjski40 » Thu May 07, 2009 7:22 am

Thank u to both of you for getting back to me. We have voted on trades in the past and bad ones go thru and good ones don't. I was just wondering if there was a software that analyzes trades, so that I can copy and paste the results for the entire league to see. Something concrete that tells everyone, "this is fair" or "this is NOT fair". The ones that are out there don't "analyze" the trades.
rjski40

Postby dream_017 » Thu May 07, 2009 7:26 am

rjski40 wrote:"this is NOT fair"

What is not fair? The only thing that is not fair is collusion. So, with that why have a vote :-?
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

Postby bungle613 » Thu May 07, 2009 10:57 am

rjski40 wrote:Thank u to both of you for getting back to me. We have voted on trades in the past and bad ones go thru and good ones don't. I was just wondering if there was a software that analyzes trades, so that I can copy and paste the results for the entire league to see. Something concrete that tells everyone, "this is fair" or "this is NOT fair". The ones that are out there don't "analyze" the trades.

Just find yourself an intelligent, knowledagable, fair-minded commish and you will be fine. It is not rocket science to see if a deal should go through. Some can be a little tricky but really, in 15 years of FF I personally have vetoed 1 trade. I have voted against several in the early years of FF on Yahoo publilc leagues but as a commish, only vetoed 1 and it was ridiculous collusion that 2 morons couldn't see.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby rjski40 » Thu May 07, 2009 1:07 pm

I am sorry for not giving more info to start off. I am the commissioner of our league. We have voted on trades the last few years and have had problems. We are doing away with voting completely. I was just asking about some software so that it has results that I can post on our league so that everyone can see something concrete, written in stone, so to speak. I usually make a trade or two each season, so I would love something that I can post the results of. Thanks again for responding.
rjski40

Postby bungle613 » Fri May 08, 2009 9:39 am

rjski40 wrote:I am sorry for not giving more info to start off. I am the commissioner of our league. We have voted on trades the last few years and have had problems. We are doing away with voting completely. I was just asking about some software so that it has results that I can post on our league so that everyone can see something concrete, written in stone, so to speak. I usually make a trade or two each season, so I would love something that I can post the results of. Thanks again for responding.

Not possible. It will always be subjective just liek a real NFL trade. EG: Some feel Denver won the Cutler deal, others feel Chicago did.

As the commish, just look at the facts of the deal. Dream posted a very good rundown on that. All trades should go through unless colussion is suspected. To me, colussion is usually fairly obvious. Last place team deals Fitz for Santana Moss... why?

The one key thing you will need to avoid is letting your personal opinion get in the way. It is not up to a commish to decide what is best for a team. If I choose to deal Fitz for Mendenhall and a first rounder... my choice. It is not a ridiculous deal and should be passed.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner