Larry Foote Officially Signs with Lions - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Larry Foote Officially Signs with Lions

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Steelers part ways with unhappy Foote

Postby moochman » Tue May 05, 2009 11:09 am

dream_017 wrote:
HunglikeChampions wrote:ANy possibility or rumors he could go to NE? They could use the LB help. Brushi is a little long in the tooth

Probably not. He has stated that he wants to play in Detroit and Detriot needs LB help, so I would say it is only a matter of time ;-D

Part of me hopes he goes elsewhere. I remember watching some games last season and thinking that Foote had lost a step (I kill myself) The Lions would probably have to pay the Ford tax* and overpay for a fading LB going to a weak D using a different scheme than he is acccomstomed to. There sure is a gaping hole at MLB in the Motor D, though.

*Ford Tax-a Lions levy born out of years of a poorly run FO, that demands they over-pay for players looking to cash in on past success.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kensat30 » Tue May 05, 2009 11:28 am

Detroit only needs help if they have given up on Dizon already. And it looks like they may have considering he was drafted to be a cover 2 MLB, and now Detroit isn't even playing Cover 2 anymore. I like Foote and I think he is good enough to be a starter on a 3-4 team with below average ILBs. Kansas City maybe? I would love to have him in San Francisco, but I have a hard time seeing him beating out Takeo Spikes outright and he obviously doesn't want to be coming off the bench even if it means he can potentailly win Super Bowls.

I disagree with the notion that Detroit desperately needs linebacker help too. Thats' really the only position on the entire field where they have multiple reliable starters in Ernie Sims and Julian Peterson. If those guys go down, they are paper thin, but at the same time Foote wants to be a 3-down player and not in a rotation. I'm not so sure that Foote is that much of an upgrade compared to Dizon. The system would be new to both of them and although Foote is a veteran and would have the edge there, he doesn't have the pure athleticism to excel in anything.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby dream_017 » Tue May 05, 2009 12:20 pm

Kensat30 wrote:I disagree with the notion that Detroit desperately needs linebacker help too. Thats' really the only position on the entire field where they have multiple reliable starters in Ernie Sims and Julian Peterson. If those guys go down, they are paper thin, but at the same time Foote wants to be a 3-down player and not in a rotation. I'm not so sure that Foote is that much of an upgrade compared to Dizon. The system would be new to both of them and although Foote is a veteran and would have the edge there, he doesn't have the pure athleticism to excel in anything.

Are we playing a 5-2 ;-7 8-o O:-)
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 73)

Postby moochman » Tue May 05, 2009 12:21 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Detroit only needs help if they have given up on Dizon already. And it looks like they may have considering he was drafted to be a cover 2 MLB, and now Detroit isn't even playing Cover 2 anymore. I like Foote and I think he is good enough to be a starter on a 3-4 team with below average ILBs. Kansas City maybe? I would love to have him in San Francisco, but I have a hard time seeing him beating out Takeo Spikes outright and he obviously doesn't want to be coming off the bench even if it means he can potentailly win Super Bowls.

I disagree with the notion that Detroit desperately needs linebacker help too. Thats' really the only position on the entire field where they have multiple reliable starters in Ernie Sims and Julian Peterson. If those guys go down, they are paper thin, but at the same time Foote wants to be a 3-down player and not in a rotation. I'm not so sure that Foote is that much of an upgrade compared to Dizon. The system would be new to both of them and although Foote is a veteran and would have the edge there, he doesn't have the pure athleticism to excel in anything.

Agreed, Kenstat, on paper the LB corps isn't that bad. Sadly, the games will be played on turf again this season, which means that a terrible DL will continue to let blockers and ball carriers run amok. Sims, for all his skills, rarely has the opportunity to make plays close to the line of scrimmage. A strong MLB would at least plug a hole until they build a D-line. This is why it baffles me that they drafted a TE, S, and OLB (to play MLB) rather than a OL, MLB, and DL.
Dizon, BTW, is a lightwieght speedster who over-runs more plays than he makes. He'll be remembered more for his draft day quote than his playing career. When they asked him about when the Lions picked him he replied that he was surprised to hear his phone ring...during his round of golf. He had no thought of ever being picked as highly as the Lions picked him. Very short shelf-life.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby petedog9 » Tue May 05, 2009 1:02 pm

Arizon is another likely spot for any released Steeler... I can see them snatching him up. They are converting from a 4-3 to a 3-4 this year and need a guy who knows the system. I'd say Detroit or AZ would be the top 2 candidates. Foote was a great Steeler and I never heard of any problems with him. He wanted to be on the field and I dont think thats a bad thing. Good luck to him and I apprecieate his time as a Steeler...
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby steelerfan513 » Tue May 05, 2009 3:56 pm

http://www.freep.com/article/20090505/SPORTS01/90505035/1049/rss14

LB Foote meets with Lions officials

By NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Free-agent linebacker Larry Foote met with Lions officials this afternoon at team headquarters in Allen Park, Lions spokesman Bill Keenist confirmed.

But there is no word on a contract. Foote did not immediately return phone messages.

Foote was released by the Steelers on Monday for salary-cap reasons, with one year left on his contract at a salary of $2.885 million. He played at Detroit Pershing and Michigan, and he has said he would choose his hometown team if all is equal.

“He's done a good job, and he's had a good career at Pittsburgh,” Lions defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham said. “Whether he fits here or not, we'll have to see if we ever do get to that point, and then we'll address it then.”

The Lions have an opening at middle linebacker, though third-round pick DeAndre Levy was drafted with the idea of moving him from outside to the inside.

Sounds like the Lions aren't that eager to sign him, probably because he's been in a 3-4 for his entire career. I agree with pete on Arizona, and Denver should definitely be interested assuming they have the cap room. There are plenty of 3-4 teams out there that could use him.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby petedog9 » Wed May 06, 2009 10:24 am

The Associated Press reports free-agent LB Larry Foote (Steelers) has agreed to a one-year deal with the Detroit Lions. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed. Foote is expected to sign the contract Wednesday, May 6.

He is gonna be a Lion. Gotta be tough to go from first to worst but I wish him nothing but the best. Last night NFLN had on the Steelers vs Broncos championship game form a few years back. Foote had an amazing INT in that one which basically dashed any hope of the Donkies coming back... Good luck Foote... You were a good Steeler... ;-D
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby petedog9 » Wed May 06, 2009 10:27 am

It's now official:

Lions signed MLB Larry Foote to a one-year deal.

Foote is set to sign the deal Wednesday for what is believed to be considerably less than the $2.885 he would have made for the Steelers. He reportedly turned down a two-year deal with the goal of rehabbing his value as the Lions MIKE linebacker and earning a more lucrative long-term deal next offseason. May. 6 - 8:36 am et
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Re: Larry Foote Officially Signs with Lions

Postby moochman » Fri May 08, 2009 1:41 pm

This is probably a good move for both parties. Foote gets a chance to start and becomes a FA next season, much better than playing part-time in Pitts then testing the market. The Lions have no MLB and Foote will be motivated to give his all.

Barring a miraculous comeback by the Lions or Foote flopping I don't think this will be more than a one and done deal.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Football Talk