London to Host the Super Bowl??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

London to Host the Super Bowl???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Should the NFL allow the Superbowl to be played outside of the USA?

Yes
5%
No
86%
Don't Care
10%

Total votes : 21

Re: London to Host the Super Bowl???

Postby joejlitz » Fri May 08, 2009 6:23 pm

eaglesrule wrote:Man, I could go either way on this. I will say more so than hoops, hockey or even baseball, the World Champs thing is appropriate for football. If the rest of the world combined to make a team and then play us with a team made up of either the Super Bowl champs or an all-star team, they couldn't come close. Honestly, this sounds like hyperbole, but I honestly believe that a High School All-American team could beat the world challengers.

That being said, the Super Bowl is the least fan friendly game of the season. You absolutely cannot move the championship games, that's just absurd. But considering the majority of the people who even get to attend are friends of the league and corporate interests, who cares where it is held? I am just curious if London would even want it. Obviously Fleet Street and their corporate interests would be down, but honestly does the run of the mill Londoner even care?

Of course not, but it is very important because of the money that is generated for the city that hosts it. It would be very irresponsible of the league to go overeseas with this, especially during such a miserable downturn in our economy, here in our own country.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sat May 09, 2009 11:46 am

I totally disagree with London hosting the SB. You already have NFL Europe. Stop getting greedy and host your own leagues SB. Don't infringe on ours.

As Joe just mentioned cities love having the SB because the money it brings them and the local businesses. Don't give the money to Engalnd. The last I saw the Pound was doing fine.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Amazinz » Sat May 09, 2009 11:54 am

Beside the point but I believe NFL Europe is defunct.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dmacblue » Sat May 09, 2009 6:45 pm

moochman wrote:The day they have a Superbowl in London with be the day I sign off on the SuperBowl. It's bad enough the game is corrupted by an extra week off, but if it's moves overseas it will become not unlike an Olympic event. Live at 5am.
Sorry, American fans built this league, I don't think it's much to ask that they not be forgotten in the search for more billions.

I agree....I am pretty confident in saying the aura of the NFL would lose more Eurp fans that it would gain by having the Superbowl in Europe.

Its the American aspect of proceedings that Euro fans love....

In England now they are toying with the idea of expanding the regular football (soccer) season by 1 game to 39. the so called 39th game for each team (all 20 of them) would be plated in the middle/far east....the fans are vehemently against it.

You cant risk alienating your bread and butter support.

Kudos to the uberdesigner 'soty' for the sig!
dmacblue
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: Driving the Chase Coffman bandwagon to the 2011 Pro Bowl!

Postby dmacblue » Sat May 09, 2009 6:51 pm

[quote="eaglesrule"]Man, I could go either way on this. I will say more so than hoops, hockey or even baseball, the World Champs thing is appropriate for football. If the rest of the world combined to make a team and then play us with a team made up of either the Super Bowl champs or an all-star team, they couldn't come close. Honestly, this sounds like hyperbole, but I honestly believe that a High School All-American team could beat the world challengers.

...but the question isnt 'Could the rest of the world combined muster a team to compete with our top HS teams?'....it's a case of the rest of the world doesnt give a crap about trying to compete. No one else in the world plays the sport!

When the league is made up of 32 teams exclusively from USA, its moot to talk of World /Universe/All Galaxy champions.

dmacblue
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby iamgregg » Sat May 09, 2009 10:10 pm

The last I saw the Pound was doing fine.

Last I checked the pound was doing awful. :-*
iamgregg
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby dmacblue » Sat May 09, 2009 11:10 pm

iamgregg wrote:
The last I saw the Pound was doing fine.

Last I checked the pound was doing awful. :-*

No kidding,.,,,,the arse has fallen out of the GBP....gone from $1.9 to $1.4 or so

dmacblue
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Football Talk