Free Safety Roy Williams , A Bengal - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Free Safety Roy Williams , A Bengal

Moderator: Football Moderators

Free Safety Roy Williams , A Bengal

Postby mrblitz » Wed May 06, 2009 4:41 pm

Posted: May 6th, 2009 | Steve Wyche | Tags: Cincinnati Bengals, Dallas Cowboys, Mike Zimmer, Roy Williams

The Bengals have agreed to terms with former Cowboys free safety Roy Williams.

The Cowboys released Williams, once regarded as one of the fiercest safeties in the NFL, after last season.

In Cincinnati, Williams will be reunited with Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer, who coached the Cowboys’ defense when the safety had some of his best production.

– Steve Wyche http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/05/06/former- ... o-bengals/

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Free Safety Roy Williams , A Bengal

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Wed May 06, 2009 11:56 pm

Good Move to reunite him with Zimmer. Could help the Bungles run D. His only downside is he gets burned in coverage.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby mattb47 » Thu May 07, 2009 1:43 am

Cowboys 4 life wrote:Good Move to reunite him with Zimmer. Could help the Bungles run D. His only downside is he gets burned in coverage.

Which is pretty big as far as downsides go...it's like saying a guy can cover people but he just can't tackle to help in the running game. A one-dimensional safety is rather useless overall...
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby TheDiplomats » Thu May 07, 2009 2:11 am

mattb47 wrote:
Cowboys 4 life wrote:Good Move to reunite him with Zimmer. Could help the Bungles run D. His only downside is he gets burned in coverage.

Which is pretty big as far as downsides go...it's like saying a guy can cover people but he just can't tackle to help in the running game. A one-dimensional safety is rather useless overall...

Not completely useless. Roy Williams is an imposing of a safety as it gets in terms of preventing WRs from coming across the middle and is a force in stopping the run. He isn't a 3 down safety, but overall he isn't a bad pickup as long as you sub him out of surefire passing situations (3rd and long nickel/dime packages). I actually like what the Bengals have done in the draft and the offseason thus far aside from giving up Housh (which they pretty much had to). ;-D
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby mattb47 » Thu May 07, 2009 2:33 am

TheDiplomats wrote:
mattb47 wrote:

Not completely useless. Roy Williams is an imposing of a safety as it gets in terms of preventing WRs from coming across the middle and is a force in stopping the run. He isn't a 3 down safety, but overall he isn't a bad pickup as long as you sub him out of surefire passing situations (3rd and long nickel/dime packages). I actually like what the Bengals have done in the draft and the offseason thus far aside from giving up Housh (which they pretty much had to). ;-D

I've never really liked him as a player...and even if you work hard to sub him in and out when you think need to, it's still a liability for the offense to know that one guy really only does one thing well. He's a pretty dirty player too which doesn't help my view of him...those horse collar tackles he still insists on doing are about as dirty a play as they come...
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby LS2throwed » Thu May 07, 2009 5:33 am

TheDiplomats wrote:
mattb47 wrote:

I guess you haven't seen Roy play lately, I had the displeasure of watching him slowly decline over the years and there gets to a point when he leaves your defense as a liability early on...Teams know when Roy is on the field and go after him, in this day and age team will go 3 or 4 wide on 1st down just for a different look, and get Roy matched up with a slot WR or a RB out of the backfield and that's immediately FAIL.

His presence against the run and all that is still alot of what is based on the past, at some point he lost his confidence and aggression, he got very spiritual, and even the things he was supposed to be good at suffered...He never wraps up, he just runs full speed into the ball carrier and bounces off, he doesn't force fumbles anymore or create any turnovers, he's basically just a liability out on the field.

I'm not sure he'll even beat out Ndukwe(sp?) for the early downs, he's not a bad pickup because of the price, and he's just depth, but heaven forbid you put him out there early because teams will target him and go right at him...I couldn't be happier Dallas got him out of there, if it wasn't for his massive contract and name value he would of been cut a few years ago...He's a good guy, but his head isn't in the same place it was when he came into the league.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Kareighuis » Thu May 07, 2009 10:17 pm

LS2throwed wrote:I guess you haven't seen Roy play lately, I had the displeasure of watching him slowly decline over the years and there gets to a point when he leaves your defense as a liability early on...Teams know when Roy is on the field and go after him, in this day and age team will go 3 or 4 wide on 1st down just for a different look, and get Roy matched up with a slot WR or a RB out of the backfield and that's immediately FAIL.

I had the pleasure of watching his decline. It got to the point that I started whatever WR was playing against Dallas for these very reasons.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby dmacblue » Fri May 08, 2009 4:07 pm

Hugely overrated by some in the latter stages at Dallas. Those in the know were glad to see him leave.

Tank Johnson
Roy Williams

"Paging Nate Newton....Nate Newton please....call waiting on line 2...it's Marvin Lewis" 8-o

Kudos to the uberdesigner 'soty' for the sig!
dmacblue
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: Driving the Chase Coffman bandwagon to the 2011 Pro Bowl!

Return to Football Talk