Laurency Maroney facing critical season - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Laurency Maroney facing critical season

Moderator: Football Moderators

Laurency Maroney facing critical season

Postby madaslives911 » Thu May 07, 2009 7:16 am

The Boston Herald reports New England Patriots RB Laurence Maroney recognizes that this is a make-or-break season. Maroney, who was taken with the 21st overall selection in the 2006 draft, clearly understands the significance of this season, it being his fourth with the team. “I was a first rounder with a lot of expectations. I know how good I can be. I know my worth to the team,” he said. “But at the same time, I feel like my rookie year was cool, my second year, the second half I finished strong. Last year I got hurt, so I feel like all three years I was dealing with injuries. So this is the year I really have to prove to the fans, to the coaches, to the world, I can be this running back, I can be the guy for HC Bill Belichick and the Patriots.”

Source: FF Masterminds

He may be worth taking a flier on in the later rounds of keeper/dynasty league's draft. But i would rather take the risk with Fred Taylor. B-)
Visit My Sigs Gallery

2008 Champion - Cafeholics Anonymous
2008 Champion - No Press Allowed
madaslives911
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Laurency Maroney facing critical season

Postby joejlitz » Thu May 07, 2009 7:31 pm

A starting RB is ALWAYS worth taking a flier on, IMO. I'll do some mocks and see where he goes.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Thu May 07, 2009 8:01 pm

The situation is too muddled. Bill is a what have you done for me now type of guy. If Maroney is having a bad game Freddie will pick up the slack with his typical 5 ypc. I don't see a very good year for him. He has never really done anything anyway and is always over hyped.

Is this the year??? No its not. Just like last year wasn't.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu May 07, 2009 10:23 pm

Every year is supposed to be "the year" for Maroney. He'll have to go pretty low for me to take a flier.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Instinctive » Fri May 08, 2009 12:41 pm

I'm taking him. This entire thread is eerily similar to DeAngelo Williams last year, only Taylor was Stewart.

I took him 8th round or so and i paid off, I have been mocking and Maroney is consistently there in the 6th, I'll have to see how late he goes...
Fourth and Inches (Dynasty)
Zealots: 4, 39, 56
Cafe Very Special Forces (Dynasty)
General Manager Wannabees
Frozen Tundra (Dynasty)
Instinctive
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafeholic

Postby mattb47 » Fri May 08, 2009 1:42 pm

Instinctive wrote:I'm taking him. This entire thread is eerily similar to DeAngelo Williams last year, only Taylor was Stewart.

I took him 8th round or so and i paid off, I have been mocking and Maroney is consistently there in the 6th, I'll have to see how late he goes...

There's not really a valid comparison between the two...Maroney's biggest problem has been staying on the field and not being hurt ALL the time, Williams was a guy who you could see had tons of potential but never really quite got there until last season. Maroney has some talent but even when he's been healthy I haven't been all that impressed with him, I saw flashes of brilliance from Williams when I watched him play in years past which is why every year I had him pegged as one guy to break out but he never did until last season. I just don't see that same thing with Maroney.

And quite frankly...it's not like Maroney has had the toughest competition for carries in New England over the years...the fact that he has not been able to elevate himself above the rest of those RBs is pretty concerning overall. He might be worth taking a late round flier on but I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see Fred Taylor emerge as their best RB this season.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby TheDiplomats » Fri May 08, 2009 1:44 pm

mattb47 wrote:
Instinctive wrote:I'm taking him. This entire thread is eerily similar to DeAngelo Williams last year, only Taylor was Stewart.

There's not really a valid comparison between the two...Maroney's biggest problem has been staying on the field and not being hurt ALL the time, Williams was a guy who you could see had tons of potential but never really quite got there until last season. Maroney has some talent but even when he's been healthy I haven't been all that impressed with him, I saw flashes of brilliance from Williams when I watched him play in years past which is why every year I had him pegged as one guy to break out but he never did until last season. I just don't see that same thing with Maroney.

And quite frankly...it's not like Maroney has had the toughest competition for carries in New England over the years...the fact that he has not been able to elevate himself above the rest of those RBs is pretty concerning overall. He might be worth taking a late round flier on but I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see Fred Taylor emerge as their best RB this season.

Maroney has shown flashes of brilliance. If he could stay healthy, I think he would be a dominant RB in the NFL..but that is a big if. He is starting to remind me a good bit of a rich mans version of Chrissy Brown. Great talent, can't stay healthy and never will.
Last edited by TheDiplomats on Fri May 08, 2009 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby mattb47 » Fri May 08, 2009 1:46 pm

TheDiplomats wrote:
mattb47 wrote:

Maroney has shown flashes of brilliance. If he could stay healthy, I think he would be a dominant RB in the NFL..but that is a big if.

I don't know man...I've seen him play a good deal even on some of his better days and I just haven't been all that impressed with him. That's solely my opinion though after watching him so take it with a grain of salt.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Fri May 08, 2009 1:52 pm

I guess my concerns over the legitimacy of Maroney's skill level starts and ends with his inability to blow away some mediocre RB competition when the opportunity presented itself. Makes me think his critical season has passed. Seriously, when a team brings in Fragile Freddy Taylor becuase you can't stay healthy, there's a problem.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby mattb47 » Fri May 08, 2009 4:31 pm

Again with the "Fragile" Freddy reference about a guy that has been healthier than a majority of RBs over his career...just boggles the mind how these things stay around...
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Football Talk