Who is the #5 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who is the #5 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Poll ended at Tue May 12, 2009 9:33 am

RB LeSean McCoy, Philadelphia
15%
RB Shonn Greene, N.Y. Jets
45%
WR Jeremy Maclin, Philadelphia
15%
WR Percy Harvin, Minnesota
18%
QB Matt Stafford, Detroit Lions
6%
QB Mark Sanchez, N.Y. Jets
No votes
Other (please explain)
No votes

Total votes : 33

Postby The Lung » Fri May 08, 2009 9:33 am

Who is the #5 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts? You are voting on who will have the best fantasy football production in the NFL over the next 5 or 6 years with the team on which the player was just drafted, NOT who will have the best year in 2009. Assume standard scoring (1 pt. per 10 yards rushing / receiving, and no PPR) Also please assume that you have a balanced roster and don't have a great specific need for a QB, WR, etc.

Feel free to discuss the pros and cons of these players - this could be helpful for some and generate some good discussion. If you'd like to vote for a player NOT on this list, then please vote "other" and make a post to discuss the player. ;-D

Previous polls
1.01 RB Chris "Beanie" Wells, Arizona
1.02 RB Knowshon Moreno, Denver
1.03 RB Donald Brown, Indianapolis
1.04 WR Michael Crabtree, San Francisco
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 72)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Who is the #5 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Fri May 08, 2009 3:02 pm

Drafting a few trillion WR early in drafts in the past decade does earn you some good targets and Detroit's running game isn't half bad. I don't believe Stafford will be great this year, but he has all the physical skills so that in the future, when the get a couple of OL, he could be excellent. Look for the future and take Stafford.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby TheDiplomats » Fri May 08, 2009 3:50 pm

I went with Harvin. Talent wise, he is right up there with Crabtree. If he can keep his head on straight, he could be a fantasy beast. ;-D
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby steelerfan513 » Fri May 08, 2009 4:06 pm

Percy Harvin, mainly because he's got the best situation of any non-quarterback up there, and neither quarterback is worth taking yet IMO.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri May 08, 2009 7:17 pm

McCoy
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Fri May 08, 2009 11:40 pm

I'll give Shonn Green an 80% chance of being the starter in NY by 2010. And a starting RB is always worth more than a WR or QB. Even after Larry Fitzgerald's solid rookie season (he's arguably the #1 dynasty WR at this point), there were at least 20 RBs worth more than him going into that second season. And even he totally blew up in his second year, there were at least 10 RBs that were worth more than him going into year 3. Even now there might be 10 RBs worth more than him. Getting a guy like Larry Fitzgerald is the best case scenario when drafting rookie WR.

And besides Calvin Johnson, there hasn't been a prospect like Larry Fitzgerald for years. Crabtree like Fitzgerald deserves to go that early because those two guys were breaking some records in college and jump off the page when you talk about them. Percy Harvin has failed drug tests and he misses the start of camp due to "dehydration". And even if he does turn out to be Fitzgerald (he surely is not a Fitzgerald-like prospect), in the short term a solid starting RB is worth more than him no matter what he does. In the long term the RB STILL may be worth more even if that guy hits into a top5 WR. Key thing here is, if you want the WR, you could easily trade the starting RB for the WR in year 1.5 and probably get even more in return. Unless you are completely sold on this WR being the next Boldin/Moss/Royal etc. chances are drafting WRs early in the first round over RBs is not going to pay off in the long run. The only way you pass up on Shonn Green or even McCoy at this point in the draft is if you think that the chances are they won't become starters within the next three years because they are seriously flawed in some way.

I can understand the buy and hold philsophy, and in that case it can make sense drafting WRs at #5. But you can buy and hold all the WRs you want, if people aren't willing to trade RBs for them, you will be hurting. Buy and holding non-elite WRs in dynasty at pick #5 is a losing proposition unless the league is highly favorable to WRs. Last year was a complete fluke for RB talent with anyone in the top7 or even top8 picks getting a potential franchise fantasy RB. And I understand that the talent this year is completely different, but at the same time I think a guy Shonn Green is a solid value in any year right around pick 5. Consider the situation he landed in and the type of talent that got him there. Unless you want to make the argument that this guy is still on the bench in 2011, I don't see how you can pass on a guy like that. A completely average RB in Rudi Johnson hung onto a favorable position for YEARS and at one point in time he was worth more than Larry Fitzgerald ever will be. If you saw the level of talent and sold high on that guy, you could have had a guy like Fitzgerald and then some.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Wenchtamer » Sat May 09, 2009 5:48 am

Greene or McCoy. I voted Greene but it is a coinflip in my eyes.
Wenchtamer
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicCafe Musketeer

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sat May 09, 2009 11:17 am

I picked Green because I feel he has a better chance to start within a few years and be the man.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby slowride » Sat May 09, 2009 1:55 pm

I went with Harvin. I think he adds a very explosive dynamic to that offense and really opens up the playbook. Especially with Berrian on one side and the best RB in the game. The only question (big question) is QB. Probably Rosenfels which I'd be fine with. In my Rookie Draft I'm taking Crabman second overall, but Harvin should be something special.
Slowride is burning.
slowride
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Kareighuis » Sun May 10, 2009 3:19 am

A supposed "experts" draft, Crabtree went 5th (due to team needs) and McCoy went 4th.

I voted Greene- young offensive core (Cotch, franchise QB, well-built o-line), strong defense. He's in the right place- power inside runner who's only readily apparent negatives are age and a lack of breakaway speed.

McCoy?- lacks power; bounces too much outside; lacks breakaway speed; lacks size/toughness- falls to the ground, heads out of bounds to avoid hits
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 3)

Next

Return to Football Talk