Matt Millen Joins ESPN as Football Analyst - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Matt Millen Joins ESPN as Football Analyst

Moderator: Football Moderators

Matt Millen Joins ESPN as Football Analyst

Postby madaslives911 » Fri May 08, 2009 2:28 pm

Matt Millen is a lot more popular as a broadcaster than he was as an NFL executive.

The architect of the league's first 0-16 team is joining ESPN as a football analyst. He was a successful commentator at CBS and Fox before taking over the Detroit Lions in 2001 -- and leading them to one of the worst eight-year stretches in NFL history.

ESPN said Thursday that Millen will call college football games and appear on NFL studio shows. He served as a guest analyst with NBC during last season's playoffs after the Lions fired him in September.

ESPN executive vice president Norby Williamson calls Millen ''one of the absolute best analysts in the business.''

Millen was on four Super Bowl championship teams during his 12-year NFL career.

Source: The New York Times
Visit My Sigs Gallery

2008 Champion - Cafeholics Anonymous
2008 Champion - No Press Allowed
madaslives911
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Matt Millen Joins ESPN as Football Analyst

Postby mrblitz » Fri May 08, 2009 3:56 pm

What could he possibly have to offer? The only thing I can see him analyzing is how NOT to run an NFL team . They should have gotten someone else.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Amazinz » Fri May 08, 2009 5:42 pm

It's like the adage, "Those who can't, teach."
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eaglesrule » Fri May 08, 2009 6:21 pm

I NEVER get this. It's like Steve Phillips on ESPN for Baseball analysis. Like, you didn't have a great grasp on this obviously, or you wouldn't have been fired. I almost prefer the plausible deniability of sports analysts. When I know for a fact the person got schooled by his peers on a regular basis, I'm less inclined to respect whatever "insight" said person has to offer.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Fri May 08, 2009 6:36 pm

Not sure I like that example! People forget that Steve Phillips brought the Mets to their last World Series and even though he will always be known for the Arod fiasco, he ressurected the Mets from the ashes of the 90s.

/rant :-D

Failing as GM does not mean you lack knowledge. I would easily take Millen over many of these idiot ex-players. Just my $.02.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Postby eaglesrule » Fri May 08, 2009 7:03 pm

Amazinz wrote:Not sure I like that example! People forget that Steve Phillips brought the Mets to their last World Series and even though he will always be known for the Arod fiasco, he ressurected the Mets from the ashes of the 90s.

/rant :-D

Failing as GM does not mean you lack knowledge. I would easily take Millen over many of these idiot ex-players. Just my $.02.

I think we disagree by degree rather than type. I'd rather a GM than a player for sure. They are privy to things that the player just doesn't get. And unless its a captain of defense or a QB., most things are filtered through their view.

Maybe phillips wasn't the example, but millen got absoloutely schooled. his teams were awful, his decisions were wrong. etc/ Yea the mets made the WS, but phillips had money to spend. But anyway, it is a fair point.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LS2throwed » Fri May 08, 2009 7:16 pm

Amazinz wrote:I would easily take Millen over many of these idiot ex-players. Just my $.02.

Why? If your going to assume all ex players are idiots then what would make you take Millen over any of them? I'd much rather hear the perspective from someone who played the game before vs someone who failed miserably at running a franchise year after year and it wasn't even close.

Just more reasons why I hate ESPN and love NFLNetwork.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Amazinz » Fri May 08, 2009 7:28 pm

I'm not assuming that all ex-players are idiots. Some ex-players are my favorite football analysts. But the bottom line is that most of them are awful and I often wonder how they got a chance to begin with. They can barely speak English. With Millen it is pretty obvious right off the bat. The guy sucked at his job no doubt but he is highly intelligent and gives us an insight into the game we don't usually get.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Kensat30 » Fri May 08, 2009 11:50 pm

Matt Millen talks a good game. How else do you think he hung on his job for so long?
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby joejlitz » Sat May 09, 2009 1:30 pm

Amazinz wrote:I'm not assuming that all ex-players are idiots. Some ex-players are my favorite football analysts. But the bottom line is that most of them are awful and I often wonder how they got a chance to begin with. They can barely speak English. With Millen it is pretty obvious right off the bat. The guy sucked at his job no doubt but he is highly intelligent and gives us an insight into the game we don't usually get.

Not sure who you hate, but I think right away of the players I know on TV:

Warren Sapp, Deion Sanders, Dan Marino, Troy Aikman. I love the first two and respect the next two (and I HATE the Cowboys).

Of the ex-players on regularly, I can only think of Michael Irvin who I don't like and that is only because he only seems to have any insight when it comes to WRs. And even then, he seems to support the WRs more than criticize them.

As for whether networks hire players or GMs or civilians who never were in the system (or others with backgrounds I am not mentioning here) - I think it is important to have a mix of all three. They represent all of the possible perspectives that can only make the telecast more interesting.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Next

Return to Football Talk