Matt Millen Joins ESPN as Football Analyst - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Matt Millen Joins ESPN as Football Analyst

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Matt Millen Joins ESPN as Football Analyst

Postby Amazinz » Sat May 09, 2009 1:54 pm

I like Aikman a lot. I hate the Eagles but Jaws is by far one of my favorite football personalities. My opinion isn't about biases. I think Emmitt Smith was a turd of a football analyst but he was better than Tiki Barber. I don't want to itemize every analyst. It's just my opinion that the majority of ex-players make awful analysts. Oh yeah, Marino? Really? Sanders? Just awful, my man. :-b
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slowride » Sat May 09, 2009 2:05 pm

If it gets Justin Tuck less air time then I'm all for it.....
Slowride is burning.
slowride
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby eaglesrule » Sat May 09, 2009 2:11 pm

Amazinz wrote:I like Aikman a lot. I hate the Eagles but Jaws is by far one of my favorite football personalities. My opinion isn't about biases. I think Emmitt Smith was a turd of a football analyst but he was better than Tiki Barber. I don't want to itemize every analyst. It's just my opinion that the majority of ex-players make awful analysts. Oh yeah, Marino? Really? Sanders? Just awful, my man. :-b

I think Aikman is fantastic and I don't want to admit that. I think Jaws is good, but I really do like Aikman, as he is ready to challenge conventional wisdom, and he talks about things other than quarterbacking. He makes salient points like defense shouldn't be judged by yard,s but points allowed etc. I think he is smart guy Usually, the players have some good things to say, but it is filtered through the position they used to play.

And as it pertains to millen. If your singular credential is having been a GM. And you were utterly horrific at said position, i think ti undermines your authority, sorry. He was atrocious as the Lions GM. His peers all 31 of them, schooled him regularly it seems, and now he is shedding light on things? Gimmie a break.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Sat May 09, 2009 2:14 pm

eaglesrule wrote:And as it pertains to millen. If your singular credential is having been a GM.

It is not his single credential. He is a former TV analyst and he's a former player with SB rings if the GM gig doesn't do it for. Yeah he was horrible as GM but I think people diminish his knowledge too much because of it.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mrblitz » Sat May 09, 2009 2:36 pm

I think Aikman is really good. And Jaws is one of my favorites. I actually would love Jaws to some day consider the Head coaching position for the Eagles.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby joejlitz » Sat May 09, 2009 8:23 pm

Amazinz wrote: Oh yeah, Marino? Really? Sanders? Just awful, my man. :-b

Not sure if your smiley means you are kidding or not, but I do love Sanders. He is one of the greatest athletes of all time and I still like him as a person and as an analyst. As a singer, maybe not so much. And for Marino, he's still good on Inside the NFL, so I'm not sure what you mean, but I am sticking by my guns. These guys are good! B-)
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby biju » Sat May 09, 2009 10:17 pm

Amazinz wrote:
eaglesrule wrote:And as it pertains to millen. If your singular credential is having been a GM.

It is not his single credential. He is a former TV analyst and he's a former player with SB rings if the GM gig doesn't do it for. Yeah he was horrible as GM but I think people diminish his knowledge too much because of it.

Aw, and I was all ready after the first page to write this up. :-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby moochman » Mon May 11, 2009 10:08 am

biju wrote:
Amazinz wrote:

Aw, and I was all ready after the first page to write this up. :-D

The problem with Millen is that prior to being the worse GM in the history of GMs he was one of the better TV football analysts around. Being a Lions fan and having to suffer through the arrogance and ignorance of the Millen Error I cannot listen to any opinion he may have about a player's ability or prospects. If he wants to talk about the game, he may pull it off, he is good at talking. Here in the Motor D we called him ATM or All Talk Millen.

It boggles the mind that a multi-billion dollar entertainment industry like the NFL spends so little resources into developing TV announcers and analysts. Truly puzzling.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Azrael » Thu May 14, 2009 11:38 am

Amazinz wrote:

You are exactly right. People think because he was a horrible GM he knows nothing about football, but really it just means he knows nothing about how to build a football team. He was a starter his entire 12 year career and won 3 SBs with 3 different teams. He was a highly respected analyst for about a 10 year stretch. Obviously the guy is no fool. It's like saying a guy shouldn't have a driver's license because he's a piss poor mechanic.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby TheDiplomats » Fri May 15, 2009 1:28 am

I'd say the best player turned analyst is Terrell Davis. I don't like Emmit, Keyshawn, or Jaws. I don't particularly mind Aikman but he never came across to me as an excellent analyst/broadcaster..just average.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk