Slow/Email draft - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Slow/Email draft

Moderator: Football Moderators

Slow/Email draft

Postby AHill84006 » Fri May 08, 2009 3:42 pm

Has anyone here ever done a slow/e-mail type draft? We have people in our league that work so many different schedules that it is hard to get together to draft. We do not want to do away with the league, and we are looking for ways to still draft.

Any info or suggestions??

Thanks...
12 Team-3 Keeper
QB - K.Warner, D. Garrard, Mark Sanchez, Matt Stafford
RB - Chris Johnson, S.Slaton, R.Rice, P.Thomas,"Beanie" Wells
WR - Calvin Johnson, Steve Smith, D.Avery, C.Henry, K.Curtis
TE - D.Clark, Zach Miller
K - D. Akers
DEF- TEN
AHill84006
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Slow/Email draft

Postby bungle613 » Fri May 08, 2009 4:27 pm

Not via email but a slow drafts are the norm at the cafe. If your league can agree to have everyone join the cafe you can host a slow draft here. Give everyone a 24 hour clock and it works out quite well. You will need to enforce the 24 hour clock fairly strictly or things can get a little out of hand with delays. Start early July and you will get a full draft in easily before the start of the season.

Scroll down to Draft Rooms Inside and open just about any one of them to get an idea of what I am talking about.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat May 09, 2009 3:06 pm

bungle613 wrote:Not via email but a slow drafts are the norm at the cafe. If your league can agree to have everyone join the cafe you can host a slow draft here. Give everyone a 24 hour clock and it works out quite well. You will need to enforce the 24 hour clock fairly strictly or things can get a little out of hand with delays. Start early July and you will get a full draft in easily before the start of the season.

Scroll down to Draft Rooms Inside and open just about any one of them to get an idea of what I am talking about.

My thoughts exactly. ;-D

I've never done an email slow draft. I'm sure that could/would work, but the only slow drafts I've done have been on the Cafe. We have 2 slow mock drafts going on right now in Draft Rooms Inside. Good luck! ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby glackk » Tue May 12, 2009 6:03 am

I would note that as the draft spans a month or so, if it coincides with pre-season workout and games, then the value of players may change quite a bit from round to round. Players get injured/traded/arrested, or simply upgraded or downgraded on the depth chart. Not that it makes the draft unfair in any way since picks would be limited to a 24 hour period, but it's some thing to keep in mind. Managers could get a "steal" if news breaks when it's their pick.

ie. Hey, Brandon Marshall is actually suspended for 8 games, let me grab Eddie Royal, who is now a top 20 WR.
glackk
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby theimitator » Tue May 12, 2009 8:41 am

I am actually contemplating doing an email draft this year, as some of our guys are moving away.

There are 14 of us, and I am thinking (as of last night, mind you) giving each person 30 min per pick, snake order and two rounds a day, for a week. Draft times would be established, and I think it would go smoothly. It might drag on, though, and was curious if anyone else has done something like this.

The cafe draft rooms would be good, but I don't want to lose my competitive edge by introducing my league-mates to the cafe!
14 Team w/FLX .5PPR
The Porkchop Express
QB: Carson Palmer, Vince Young
RB: Maurice Jones-Drew, Matt Forte, Reggie Bush, Tim Hightower
WR: Greg Jennings, Anquan Boldin, Terrell Owens, Jabar Gaffney
TE: John Carlson, Ben Watson
PK: R Gould
TD: NO, TB
theimitator
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby glackk » Tue May 12, 2009 9:05 am

theimitator wrote:I am actually contemplating doing an email draft this year, as some of our guys are moving away.

There are 14 of us, and I am thinking (as of last night, mind you) giving each person 30 min per pick, snake order and two rounds a day, for a week. Draft times would be established, and I think it would go smoothly. It might drag on, though, and was curious if anyone else has done something like this.

The cafe draft rooms would be good, but I don't want to lose my competitive edge by introducing my league-mates to the cafe!

If everyone agrees, then I'm sure it could work. My impression of using the longer email format was to allow for different time zones and general time of day availability. This isn't completely achieved in giving 30 mins per pick. What happens if someone misses their 30 min window because they're out for lunch or in a meeting? Maybe a bigger time window, like 2-3 hours would be more accommodating. Most times people don't use the full time anyway. Even in the drafts at the cafe there are usually 3-5 picks per day even if the window is a full 24 hours.

Of course the best would be to set a specific 2 hour window and do a live online draft, 1 min or 90 secs per pick, even if some people are remote.
glackk
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue May 12, 2009 12:11 pm

i've done this for leagues before, i prefer a live draft but if it's the only option you have it's not that bad
...both CBS and Myfantasyleague support this through their league sites, track everything, update rosters as they go along, etc

EDIT: forgot to add you can also pre-draft for upcoming rounds in case you know you are going to be away from email for awhile so you dont hold things up (at least on MFL anyway, not sure about CBS)
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby aaawall91 » Sun May 17, 2009 9:00 pm

Building on what Dan said.

MFL does basically a slow live draft. You have a draft room, but you set the pick time to 24 hours. Owners can queue players they want and set it to "pick as soon as it becomes my pick" as well as many other options. As well as "Don't pick for me" so you can just do it yourself when you want to.

I LOVE doing it like this. CBS was mentioned...so you can set the clock to 24 hours a pick on CBS? because I'd be interested in a free site to use their draft room system that can do that. Even if I don't host the actual league itself on there.

Easier to organize and it goes quicker. If you and your league mates want to throw down the cash because you think its worth it, MFL is the way to go.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue May 19, 2009 10:57 am

aaawall91 wrote:Building on what Dan said.

MFL does basically a slow live draft. You have a draft room, but you set the pick time to 24 hours. Owners can queue players they want and set it to "pick as soon as it becomes my pick" as well as many other options. As well as "Don't pick for me" so you can just do it yourself when you want to.

I LOVE doing it like this. CBS was mentioned...so you can set the clock to 24 hours a pick on CBS? because I'd be interested in a free site to use their draft room system that can do that. Even if I don't host the actual league itself on there.

Easier to organize and it goes quicker. If you and your league mates want to throw down the cash because you think its worth it, MFL is the way to go.

i'm not 100% on CBS...i did a slow baseball draft on there, but i wasnt commish. i dont remember if we had a timer or if it was turned off completely...also, there was no pre-drafting, so if guys were away you either had to wait or call them and then notify the commish (not sure if it offers this feature or not). still...i'd say MFL is the way to go
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby theimitator » Tue May 19, 2009 12:01 pm

Yeah, last year we switched to Fleaflicker after years of Yahoo. Just about everyone in the league was less than impressed with FF and was crying to go back to the tried and true Yahoo.

It's a 14 team league, so MFL would only be an additional $5 per man, but I think the guys are a little spooked after last year. There are one or two folks who aren't so computer savvy, and like to stay in their comfort zone.

I'm thinking I just K.I.S.S and do a live draft via Yahoo for the money league, and try a slow draft in a fun league (maybe with cafe members?) before I use it in my league.
14 Team w/FLX .5PPR
The Porkchop Express
QB: Carson Palmer, Vince Young
RB: Maurice Jones-Drew, Matt Forte, Reggie Bush, Tim Hightower
WR: Greg Jennings, Anquan Boldin, Terrell Owens, Jabar Gaffney
TE: John Carlson, Ben Watson
PK: R Gould
TD: NO, TB
theimitator
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant