Speculation- Thomas Jones/Braylon Edwards - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Speculation- Thomas Jones/Braylon Edwards

Moderator: Football Moderators

Speculation- Thomas Jones/Braylon Edwards

Postby Kareighuis » Sat May 09, 2009 1:48 am

Consideration ofJones being traded straight-up for Edwards-
"Hey, Tony: Thomas Jones is unhappy with the Jets and last season put up Pro Bowl numbers including 1,300 yards and 13 TDs. The Jets drafted Shonn Greene and already have Leon Washington. Any chance the Jets release Jones and he becomes the next Cleveland Jet? A two-headed monster pounding the rock in Cleveland would be a welcome sight. -- Aaron Howell, Canton.

Hey, Aaron: Rex Ryan knows that Mangini would scoop up Jones in a New York second if Jones were released. More likely is a future trade involving Jones and, yes, Edwards. You heard it here first."
Last edited by Kareighuis on Sat May 09, 2009 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Thomas Jones/Braylon Edwards

Postby mattb47 » Sat May 09, 2009 1:50 am

Seems like nothing but pure speculation to me...
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Kareighuis » Sat May 09, 2009 2:03 am

mattb47 wrote:Seems like nothing but pure speculation to me...

Based on how it was phrased, seems like speculation to me. But, given how it makes sense for both parties, figured it could be worthwhile to pass it along.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Kensat30 » Sat May 09, 2009 2:05 am

In other news, the 49ers are interested in picking up LB Terrell Suggs and the Ravens are interested in I don't know, maybe kicker Joe Nedney? Suggs for Nedney straight up, sound good? You heard it here first. Can I get a job at a Cleveland newspaper now?

This guy might as well trade Sheldon Brown for Jason Campbell while he's at it. Heard both of those guys are unhappy/want a trade right now as well. I mean speculation is one thing, but at least make it intelligent or even feasible. If I'm Cleveland, New York would have to offer up a first day pick with Jones to even get me to answer the phone. Personally, I think a guy like Thomas Jones (overrated 30 year RB who wants a new contract) should have NEGATIVE trade value.

What did the Bears get for that guy two years ago? An upgrade in the second round? What do you call that, maybe 4th round value at best? Last I heard, Edwards is worth a first rounder and then some and the only thing that stopped that trade from happening is the fact that he wants 10+ million a season.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby portisfan24 » Sat May 09, 2009 2:43 am

Kensat30 wrote:In other news, the 49ers are interested in picking up LB Terrell Suggs and the Ravens are interested in I don't know, maybe kicker Joe Nedney? Suggs for Nedney straight up, sound good? You heard it here first. Can I get a job at a Cleveland newspaper now?

This guy might as well trade Sheldon Brown for Jason Campbell while he's at it. Heard both of those guys are unhappy/want a trade right now as well. I mean speculation is one thing, but at least make it intelligent or even feasible. If I'm Cleveland, New York would have to offer up a first day pick with Jones to even get me to answer the phone. Personally, I think a guy like Thomas Jones (overrated 30 year RB who wants a new contract) should have NEGATIVE trade value.

What did the Bears get for that guy two years ago? An upgrade in the second round? What do you call that, maybe 4th round value at best? Last I heard, Edwards is worth a first rounder and then some and the only thing that stopped that trade from happening is the fact that he wants 10+ million a season.

Pretty much sums up my reaction. I like the "you heard it here first." There's a reason buddy.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Speculation- Thomas Jones/Braylon Edwards

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sat May 09, 2009 11:35 am

Kareighuis wrote:You heard it here first."

Actually I heard it here http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors?pg=2 first.

Tue May 05, 2009 8:06 am EDT

Browns' Edwards to Jets for RB Thomas Jones?
The Cleveland Plain Dealer reported the possibility of a future deal that would send Cleveland Browns wide receiver Braylon Edwards to the New York Jets for running back Thomas Jones.

Responding to a question from a reader about the possibility of getting Jones from the Jets, the Plain Dealer indicated a deal including Edwards was a possibility.

The report noted the Jets now have depth at running back with Leon Washington and recently drafted Shonn Greene. It also reminded everyone that Jones is unhappy with his contract in New York.

It's unlikely the Jets would just cut Jones knowing he would be claimed immediately by Cleveland coach Eric Mangini, thus the possibility of a team between the two teams.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

But you were only 4 days behind so I'll give you the Silver Medal.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 87)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby joejlitz » Sat May 09, 2009 1:04 pm

Thanks for reporting this, Kareighuis. All of the negative responses above are aimed at the Plain Dealer (not you), and it appears deservedly so. A straight up deal isn't likely, but who knows? It may turn out into something with draft picks and Jones/Edwards the primary players in the deal. ;-D
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)

Postby Kareighuis » Sun May 10, 2009 2:42 am

I completely agree that the phrasing is a major turn-off- including the "you heard it here first" part.

The more important issue is what it does to the trade market. There were 2 teams most-often cited as in the market for a top-tier WR before the draft (Phi, NYG) and two such WRs available (Boldin, Edwards). Philly got Maclin, presumably meaning they're no longer interested, while the price for Boldin has been considered exorbitant.

That leaves the Jints and Cleveland. The 2 got into a staring contest that has continued till now. If another team enters the bidding, the Giants may blink- or the Browns may trade with another team.
Mangini has already shown an interest in his previous players and the dialogue mentioned a trade "involving" Jones and Edwards, suggesting they could/would be merely parts of a larger trade.

More chat-room stuff, from the Plain Dealer-
Q: I have been hearing that the Jets are interested in acquiring Braylon Edwards. Is there any truth to this? I hope Mangini isn't dumb enough to give them a discounted franchise quarterback and number one wide receiver.
A: No doubt the Jets have to be interested in Edwards. I have speculated that Mangini might be interested in a trade involving Thomas Jones. But he would have interest in others, too, such as Leon Washington and Brad Smith. Ultimately, I don't think anything will happen between the two teams. But I wouldn't be surprised if something did.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sun May 10, 2009 12:53 pm

I'm just breakin your balls my friend. The whole Favre thread is speculation to. Its still good to have cafe members keeping a good eye on the situation as Joe mentioned above. ;-D
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 87)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Return to Football Talk