Titans still see a Young future - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Titans still see a Young future

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby madaslives911 » Sun May 10, 2009 10:11 am

By Herald Wire Services / NFL Notes
Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Tennessee Titans keep insisting that Vince Young will be their starting quarterback again some day. He said last week that he’s maturing, working hard and learning the business of the NFL.

He better because time is running out for Young to convince the Titans the 2006 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year is worth keeping around.

The Titans hit the field Wednesday in Nashville, Tenn., for their first open session this offseason. Every move Young makes is being watched closely. Kerry Collins is back as the starter with a two-year deal, the Titans signed Patrick Ramsey for 2009 and Young is scheduled to count approximately $14 million against the salary cap in 2010 - a lot of money for a backup QB.

Source: Boston Herald

My hair might be gray already when that time comes. :-b
Visit My Sigs Gallery

2008 Champion - Cafeholics Anonymous
2008 Champion - No Press Allowed
madaslives911
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Titans still see a Young future

Postby mrblitz » Sun May 10, 2009 11:36 am

I still see Young as the starter in the near future. His biggest obstacle is letting his head take over his body. As long as he keeps working hard he definitely has a serious potential to succeed in the NFL .

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby mattb47 » Sun May 10, 2009 4:10 pm

I wouldn't be surprised to see him start for them at some point...but I don't see him ever being a real successful QB in this league. His decision making and accuracy leave something to be desired and while his mobility is an advantage, teams have already adjusted a good deal into how to contain him and he can't use that to his advantage as he once could.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby LS2throwed » Sun May 10, 2009 6:14 pm

All these guys like Vince, and Matt Leinart, they'll get their chance to prove again if they are legit, if they decide to sit and be complacent, not put in the extra work they'll probably be worse then they were before...But if they can't put it together after sitting and learning all this time they never would.

Vince at least was more sucessful at one point(or one season should I say) and that's more then Leinart can say, I think Vince started to really decline when he was so focused on trying to make people think he was a true QB and he wanted to develop into this pocket passer and that was a disaster...He's a running QB, if he can manage the game to where he picks his spots when to take off, learns to slide and get out of bounds, I think he would be above average for Tennessee at least.

Lots of times I saw him have good games before on primetime only for his WR's to drop everything, and not having any play-makers makes a huge difference...You have a play-maker at WR or RB, they can take a screen pass, or a slant to the house for a TD, but your asking him to be Drew Brees all the way down the field and that's never going to work.

Who knows now, he seems like he lost his confidence and/or the team, and I heard some comments by him recently about how he's fine collecting a check on the bench or to that extent, didn't sound like a guy who was burning up to be the leader again and show people that this was HIS team...Hopefully Britt develops and when he gets another chance he'll have two more play-makers then he had before, if he fails then it's all on him.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby mattUTD20 » Mon May 11, 2009 7:44 am

By 'Young future' he really meant having to spend another high round pick on another young QB.
"Maurice Jones-Drew, below the waist, is incredible." Mike Mayock

Cafe Leagues

Eat Cheese Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 1
Ball Breakers Keeper (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 3 PvYr: 2
4th and Goal Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 9
mattUTD20
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Mon May 11, 2009 9:51 am

mattUTD20 wrote:By 'Young future' he really meant having to spend another high round pick on another young QB.

Or maybe they mean 'Young future' who can be had for a 5th round pick to whoever is listening.

I waver on whether NFL coaches see that skills their players have or that they are too close to see the flaws. If they wish to keep VY, which of the two sides is the reason? I was a big VY supporter when he came out, but losing your job to a journeyman QB isn't exactly a step forward. Not buying it, I think the Titans are trying to build up value so they can trade him off their books.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby joejlitz » Mon May 11, 2009 11:08 am

LS2throwed wrote:Who knows now, he seems like he lost his confidence and/or the team, and I heard some comments by him recently about how he's fine collecting a check on the bench or to that extent, didn't sound like a guy who was burning up to be the leader again and show people that this was HIS team...Hopefully Britt develops and when he gets another chance he'll have two more play-makers then he had before, if he fails then it's all on him.

I was thinking something similar. Depending on how Young's team mates view his situation (mental case or not?) and depending on what they actually saw him do (crying, acting psycho, etc.), it's a wonder if he can ever be a leader of those other men in the locker room.

And isn't it a little ironic that the starting QB had problems of his own that caused him to leave the NYG and quit football? While Collins might not light it up on the stat board, he is an excellent example for Vince Young of how one can put their problems behind them and lead a team to victories.

For Young, though, I'm thinking he's going to have to regroup with a new team.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby steelerfan513 » Mon May 11, 2009 6:20 pm

moochman wrote:
mattUTD20 wrote:By 'Young future' he really meant having to spend another high round pick on another young QB.

Or maybe they mean 'Young future' who can be had for a 5th round pick to whoever is listening.

I waver on whether NFL coaches see that skills their players have or that they are too close to see the flaws. If they wish to keep VY, which of the two sides is the reason? I was a big VY supporter when he came out, but losing your job to a journeyman QB isn't exactly a step forward. Not buying it, I think the Titans are trying to build up value so they can trade him off their books.

Problem is it's tough to see a team biting because of Young's contract. Young is scheduled to make $7.5 million in 2010 and $8.5 in 2011, so unless the team trying to trade for him can either get the Titans to renegotiate his contract or do it themselves, a trade probably isn't going to happen.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Kensat30 » Mon May 11, 2009 7:28 pm

This guy has serious mental issues.

I wouldn't be surprised if he physically harmed himself or someone else before he became a starter in the NFL again.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby thriftyrocker » Mon May 11, 2009 9:47 pm

Kensat30 wrote:This guy has serious mental issues.

I wouldn't be surprised if he physically harmed himself or someone else before he became a starter in the NFL again.

And Kerry Collins was a racist drunk who was waived by the Panthers before his rookie contract ran out.
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Next

Return to Football Talk