The NFL should copy my fantasy league... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The NFL should copy my fantasy league...

Moderator: Football Moderators

The NFL should copy my fantasy league...

Postby LegendoftheFall » Mon May 11, 2009 1:50 pm

Our draft order is not determined by order of finish from previous year-worst to first. instead we let the last place team choose his draft position, then next to last, etc. 1st place gets whatever's left.This way if an owner knows the guy he wants will be there at #5, he can pick 5th and get an earlier 2nd round pick. or maybe he would like the bookend picks, etc. depending on whats available in the draft and what players are being kept. (We do a serpentine draft but im not talking about that) He gets to choose whatever position best fits his strategy.
The NFL sticks the worst teams with the worst value picks:1 through 10. Sure they get first shot at the best players but they are hardly ever worth the money paid them. Those teams are always trying to trade down but cant do it because nobody wants to invest top 10 money in a risky draft pick. Aside from a rookie salary cap, i think this would be a good way to handle this, just let the bottom teams decide where they draft, instead of forcing them to overpay unproven rookies. based on their needs, they could draft wherever would benefit them on the field and financially.

any thoughts?
LegendoftheFall
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: The NFL should copy my fantasy league...

Postby spodog » Mon May 11, 2009 4:17 pm

Well, as long as the rookie salaries are not capped, then the NFL has a big problem. Your method, which is used in many fantasy leagues, would be better than the current system, but the best overall fix is for the NFLPA and the NFL to agree to cap the #1 overall rookie salaries and then band them from that spot downward for the remainder of the picks.

It's absolutely stupid that an unproven rookie can come in and sign a 6 year deal paying him more than 95% of veterans at his position makes. The NFL has gotten so many things right, it's hard to believe how wrong they have gotten this.

It is the root of so many things that distract from the enjoyment of the sport. ( contract holdouts, veterans complaining about their salary, trade demands, and on and on).
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby aaawall91 » Mon May 11, 2009 5:19 pm

Pretty common, I prefer my fantasy leagues do that.

Is this the most likely thing that will be implemented in the future? No.

But could it happen in the NFL? Yeah.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 63)

Postby Kareighuis » Mon May 11, 2009 8:55 pm

I was thinking of implementing something like this in my redraft leagues. Each draft spot would be auctioned off, the money becoming, or augmenting, the pot.

spodog wrote:The NFL has gotten so many things right, it's hard to believe how wrong they have gotten this.

It's not just surprising that they so totally got this problem wrong, but they allowed this horribly out-of-place to stay in place for so long.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 3)

Postby spodog » Tue May 12, 2009 10:55 am

Kareighuis wrote:I was thinking of implementing something like this in my redraft leagues. Each draft spot would be auctioned off, the money becoming, or augmenting, the pot.

I like this idea. Haven't seen this implemented before.

Would you do the auction for each of the draft spots before the draft or right at the start of the draft?

Would you only be auctioning the spot in the 1st round or would you be auctioning a particular spot through the entire draft?

You capping the amount people can bid or is it unlimited?
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby joejlitz » Tue May 12, 2009 12:00 pm

The NFL doesn't need to do this. They need to fix the rookie pay scale.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby Kareighuis » Tue May 12, 2009 8:45 pm

spodog wrote:
Kareighuis wrote:I was thinking of implementing something like this in my redraft leagues. Each draft spot would be auctioned off, the money becoming, or augmenting, the pot.

I like this idea. Haven't seen this implemented before.

Would you do the auction for each of the draft spots before the draft or right at the start of the draft?

Would you only be auctioning the spot in the 1st round or would you be auctioning a particular spot through the entire draft?

You capping the amount people can bid or is it unlimited?

I'd imagined giving people a day, or max a week, before the draft to do the auction. The idea had been to auction the particular spot throughout a serpentine draft. Since the redrafters are mostly of limited means, I figured it would be capped, and whoever bid the cap limit first got the spot.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby LS2throwed » Tue May 12, 2009 8:49 pm

Hmmm, well give me a hypothetical, why would a team want the 5th pick instead of the 1st in any scenario? You could get way more for a higher pick anyway if you had that 1.01 or 1.02, you could just move back to that spot and get the value you really wanted...Just seems like you'd want the most out of your 1st rounder and if not you'd want to get the value in a trade of your own that could get you more.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Kareighuis » Tue May 12, 2009 9:15 pm

Because getting the 1.01 means 2.12, but also 3.01. Those who like to draft at the turn would like this; others, not.

It would give the savvy player a chance to get the guy he wants. Last year, I was going after Gore. If this rule had been in place, I could get the guy I was targeting without "reaching". Many of my redraft leagues don't allow in-draft trades.

One of the things I'm considering is a varied cap for each spot.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LegendoftheFall » Wed May 13, 2009 1:10 pm

LS2throwed wrote:Hmmm, well give me a hypothetical, why would a team want the 5th pick instead of the 1st in any scenario? You could get way more for a higher pick anyway if you had that 1.01 or 1.02, you could just move back to that spot and get the value you really wanted...Just seems like you'd want the most out of your 1st rounder and if not you'd want to get the value in a trade of your own that could get you more.

karaguis explained it well.... also my league is a 2 player keeper league, which i thought related alot to actual NFL teams. they arent redrafting an entire team, but trying to use the draft to fill holes. so as for the fantasy team, for instance if you are keeping 2 RBs already, that #10 and #11 would be nice to score 2 top WRs or a WR/QB. Int the NFL, if you knew you needed a player that you could get late, you could take a lower pick and save the money ( when trading down isnt an option)
LegendoftheFall
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Next

Return to Football Talk