The NFL should copy my fantasy league... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The NFL should copy my fantasy league...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: The NFL should copy my fantasy league...

Postby packers140 » Wed May 13, 2009 1:17 pm

LegendoftheFall wrote:Our draft order is not determined by order of finish from previous year-worst to first. instead we let the last place team choose his draft position, then next to last, etc. 1st place gets whatever's left.This way if an owner knows the guy he wants will be there at #5, he can pick 5th and get an earlier 2nd round pick. or maybe he would like the bookend picks, etc. depending on whats available in the draft and what players are being kept. (We do a serpentine draft but im not talking about that) He gets to choose whatever position best fits his strategy.
The NFL sticks the worst teams with the worst value picks:1 through 10. Sure they get first shot at the best players but they are hardly ever worth the money paid them. Those teams are always trying to trade down but cant do it because nobody wants to invest top 10 money in a risky draft pick. Aside from a rookie salary cap, i think this would be a good way to handle this, just let the bottom teams decide where they draft, instead of forcing them to overpay unproven rookies. based on their needs, they could draft wherever would benefit them on the field and financially.

any thoughts?

If you make the draft where you bid $ for that spot then you would have the make the Bidding Silent with a minium amount of money. That way it wouldnt get out of control.
packers140
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: The NFL should copy my fantasy league...

Postby Kareighuis » Thu May 14, 2009 10:14 pm

packers140 wrote:If you make the draft where you bid $ for that spot then you would have the make the Bidding Silent with a minium amount of money. That way it wouldnt get out of control.

I disagree- It'd be just like a real auction. Each owner makes a nomination (whether player or draft spot) and the open bidding commences. In player auctions, owners have been known to put up a player they have no interest in but is a respected/hyped player. They hope to get opposing owners to drain their salary on a top-tier RB.

The strategy would be different in an open draft slot auction- but compelling. Bidding would likely be intense for the top draft spot among less savvy owners, while the more knowledgeable may find themselves bidding up the draft spot where you could grab the last legit top-tier RB- kinda like McCoy in a dynasty.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Football Talk