Darren Sproles - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Darren Sproles

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Darren Sproles

Postby joejlitz » Tue May 12, 2009 5:14 pm

mattb47 wrote:Also...like others have said, the franchise tag for RBs isn't exactly sky high so it's not like they're paying him a ridiculous amount of money...he's making $6.6 million this year, if they could afford to do it, why not keep him rather than letting him go?

Because ordinary RBs are a dime a dozen and the strength of the offensive line will determine how well they produce (see DEN). If they didn't plan on utilizing him more I don't think he would have received that kind of cheese. They could have simply turned to the draft and/or found a free agent.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mattb47 » Tue May 12, 2009 5:23 pm

joejlitz wrote:
mattb47 wrote:Also...like others have said, the franchise tag for RBs isn't exactly sky high so it's not like they're paying him a ridiculous amount of money...he's making $6.6 million this year, if they could afford to do it, why not keep him rather than letting him go?

Because ordinary RBs are a dime a dozen and the strength of the offensive line will determine how well they produce (see DEN). If they didn't plan on utilizing him more I don't think he would have received that kind of cheese. They could have simply turned to the draft and/or found a free agent.

It's not necessarily easy to find a RB with the skill set that Sproles has...now does that mean that they are going to use him more in a role that he's not going to be as successful in? I sure don't think so, but as a change of pace back/kick returner he is an excellent player and losing him would have been a rather large loss. You don't find random players out there in free agency that are able to do what a guy like Sproles can do for you so I think that argument is rather ridiculous.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby iamgregg » Tue May 12, 2009 5:35 pm

Agreed with mattb. It could depend how much Chargers value Sproles in the role he currently performs. It could also be a move to buy time to negotiate a long term contract.
iamgregg
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby joejlitz » Tue May 12, 2009 5:51 pm

mattb47 wrote:
joejlitz wrote:

It's not necessarily easy to find a RB with the skill set that Sproles has...now does that mean that they are going to use him more in a role that he's not going to be as successful in? I sure don't think so, but as a change of pace back/kick returner he is an excellent player and losing him would have been a rather large loss. You don't find random players out there in free agency that are able to do what a guy like Sproles can do for you so I think that argument is rather ridiculous.

Ridiculous? Cross-breeding a minotaur with a unicorn would be ridiculous. My statement is simply less than orthodox in your opinion. Anywho, it's yours (and others) opinion here at the cafe that he will not be as successful in a full time role. That's not my opinion and I don't think that is the opinion of the Chargers. Does anyone else remember this article and thread?
L.T. CALLS TRADE TALK “RIDICULOUS”
Posted by Mike Florio on January 14, 2009, 5:09 p.m.

As rumors and speculation mount that the Chargers could trade running back LaDainian Tomlinson before the start of the 2009 season, Tomlinson has spoken out.

“I think it’s ridiculous to be talking about trade and me not being here, that’s just my personal opinion,” Tomlinson told Jim Trotter of SI.com. “I know every team has a right to make trades and all this stuff, but I just think it’s ridiculous to be talking about this, to have this stuff in the media when this could be handled behind closed doors and in a professional way. Now I have people calling me, talking about this all the time; this has become a big story and I don’t want this.”

It’s become a big story because the Chargers haven’t guaranteed Tomlinson’s return with the same degree of clarity that was used to declare that coach Norv Turner will be back next year.

“L.T. will be discussed in great length on a number of issues by this organization based on [the three years he has remaining on his contract],” G.M. A.J. Smith said in the same article. “Now that may be shocking to you or it may be shocking to L.T. or anyone else out there, and if it is I don’t know what to tell you; but as the general manager of the football team, the recommendations I’m going to make to Dean Spanos, like I’ve done all these years, I think it’s valid to discuss a football player like L.T. and [what has happened] the last couple of years, looking ahead to a contract that has three years remaining on it.

“All of that may be stunning to people. . . . I think it’s valid; I don’t think it’s ridiculous. I think it’s important at this point in time, as unreasonable as that may sound to many people or to you, I think it’s a sound football decision.”

Uh-oh.

Tomlinson is due to earn a base salary of $6.725 million in 2009, and that money could be devoted toward Darren Sproles, who emerged as an every-down threat after Tomlinson suffered a groin injury during the regular-season finale.

So is it shocking that Tomlinson, the 2006 league MVP, could be dumped only two years after winning it? No less shocking than Shaun Alexander, the 2005 league MVP, being cut two years later.

The real surprise here would be the Chargers getting anything of value in return for an aging tailback due to earn $24 million in salary over the next three season.

The whole "SD is trying to get rid of LT and LT gets pissed off and SD can't get rid of LT so he stays in SD and then the Chargers decide to give LT a hug and then everything is alright" thread
So the Chargers are paying over $12 million for their RBs and they were intent on moving LT until it didn't seem to work out at the time. LT was so pissed off that I thought he was going to pull a Cutler. He didn't and he remains with SD for now.
(Damn! it's been a while since I drank online, and it feels GOOD!)
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby LS2throwed » Tue May 12, 2009 7:02 pm

I think we can expect to see Sproles get 10-15 touches a game, that's not too much to ask of him...He's proven he's way too explosive of a player, and a threat to score, once you realize you have that type of guy you don't sit him on the bench...He'll get some screen plays, a couple outside runs, and see if he can break some long plays.

I mean he did have 5 receiving TD's last year, they are still going to give him those same opportunities and I think he can reach at least 1000 yards, 500 rushing and 500 receiving with around 40 receptions...He'll get his 7 carries a game and they will probably pace him at that rate unless LT falls apart again(which call me crazy but I'm expecting to happen).
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Tejones8 » Tue May 12, 2009 7:08 pm

For what it's worth, here's how I see this situation...

The Chargers appreciate what Sproles gives them (great kick returner, good change of pace back, etc...). But, they didn't franchise him because they thought he was irreplaceable or that he is the next Michael Turner. They slapped the franchise tag on Sproles because they didn't have any other major unrestricted free agents. I'm not 100% sure on what San Diego's cap situation is, but considering they could retain Sproles for another year at only $6.6 million, it makes perfect sense.

In my opinion, they'd have been dumb not to franchise him. They weren't going to loose any other notable UFA's and they were getting a decent deal.
Tejones8
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Location: Some days you're the pigeon. Other days you're the statue.

Previous

Return to Football Talk