Washington & Jones no-shows at Jets OTA's - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Washington & Jones no-shows at Jets OTA's

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Washington & Jones no-shows at Jets OTA's

Postby biju » Fri May 15, 2009 8:23 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Why do they need Jones to restructure?

The guy is only making like $1 million this year, they already paid him a lot of money the last two years, and he has multiple years left on his contract. Thomas Jones has absolutely zero say in his future with the team. HE can even sit out and New York isn't hurt too badly because they have Green now. Personally, I think Jones would be doing them a favor if he sat out, that way the team can get someone out there who can actually make the defense put together a gameplan.

Washington is an entirely different story. Unless they plan on franchising him continually for the next several seasons, they are best served getting his contract done asap while his value is still down. Guy was a 1st team ALL PRO last season as a returner, but thankfully he had extremely limited touches as a backup RB and they probably only need to give him low starting RB money to keep him around long term.

You're right. I had read somewhere that his contact was super backloaded and that he was making a ton of money this year and next year but I just looked it up and he's only getting $1M this year. It's next year that the Jets will have to come up with his $2.8M salary plus a $3M roster bonus. This is also why TJ is angling for a new contract because he wants more guranteed money now before he has a "bad" year which will most definitely be this year if the Jets stick Sanchez out there, and before the Jets release him because there is no way he's get nearly $6M at his age in the final year of that contract.

My mistake.

I still think that the Jets don't lose much if he's released *when* he makes a big stink about this.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Fri May 15, 2009 11:05 pm

biju wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:Why do they need Jones to restructure?

The guy is only making like $1 million this year, they already paid him a lot of money the last two years, and he has multiple years left on his contract. Thomas Jones has absolutely zero say in his future with the team. HE can even sit out and New York isn't hurt too badly because they have Green now. Personally, I think Jones would be doing them a favor if he sat out, that way the team can get someone out there who can actually make the defense put together a gameplan.

Washington is an entirely different story. Unless they plan on franchising him continually for the next several seasons, they are best served getting his contract done asap while his value is still down. Guy was a 1st team ALL PRO last season as a returner, but thankfully he had extremely limited touches as a backup RB and they probably only need to give him low starting RB money to keep him around long term.

You're right. I had read somewhere that his contact was super backloaded and that he was making a ton of money this year and next year but I just looked it up and he's only getting $1M this year. It's next year that the Jets will have to come up with his $2.8M salary plus a $3M roster bonus. This is also why TJ is angling for a new contract because he wants more guranteed money now before he has a "bad" year which will most definitely be this year if the Jets stick Sanchez out there, and before the Jets release him because there is no way he's get nearly $6M at his age in the final year of that contract.

My mistake.

I still think that the Jets don't lose much if he's released *when* he makes a big stink about this.

I just assumed his contract was back loaded because thats the way that makes the most sense for the team. Sure enough. Good Catch Kensat30

But the player knows he can get canned at anytime and that will happen after this year obviously by the contract. TJ and his agent can read between the lines with the drafting of Green. He is trying to force a trade or restructure because it is a last ditch effort to get a decent contract.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby killiansjmd » Tue May 19, 2009 7:32 pm

Agent: Thomas Jones Will Report Next Week
Posted by Aaron Wilson on May 19, 2009, 7:51 p.m. EDT
New York Jets running back Thomas Jones, who’s seeking a new contract, will show up for the team’s Organized Team Activity sessions next week, according to his agent.

Jones’ agent, Drew Rosenhaus, wrote on his Twitter account today that Jones plans to attend the voluntary workouts and end his self-imposed absence.

Prior to his Twitter announcement, Rosenhaus downplayed the contract dispute during an interview today with Steve Wyche of NFL.com.

“I will admit that we are in some discussions with the team,” Rosenhaus said. “There is no acrimony, and who knows? He may even be showing up in the near future.

“I don’t think this situation is as bad as people are making it out to be, and we’re hopeful he will be back in the fold and there won’t be any issues.”

Jones, who rushed for 1,312 yards and 13 touchdowns last season, is due a $900,000 base salary in 2009. He’s under contract through 2010.

However, Jones isn’t the only member of the Jets’ backfield that wants a new deal.

The Jets are also in talks with running back Leon Washington’s agent, Alvin Keels

It appears both guys will be reporting shortly. ;-D
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk