School! Help! Goverment. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

School! Help! Goverment.

Moderator: Football Moderators

School! Help! Goverment.

Postby aaawall91 » Tue May 12, 2009 5:36 pm

Okay...someone help explain to me what exactly "public Policy is"

I know it can be successful or a failure.

I know it can be apart of legislation.

My question is when is it decided whether it is a success or a failure.

For instance my topic is terrorism.

Is it a successful public policy because we are actively fighting the war on terror?

Or is it to be determined because we aren't sure how exactly successful the war on terror is?

Anything will help. Its a 6 page paper due tomorrow and I'm stuck on my thesis.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: School! Help! Goverment.

Postby Metroid » Tue May 12, 2009 5:45 pm

I'm confused what your question actually is. Are you trying to define "public policy?" If that's the case I have no idea what that even means. :-S

I'm not sure how these go together...

For instance my topic is terrorism.

Is it a successful public policy because we are actively fighting the war on terror?

Or is it to be determined because we aren't sure how exactly successful the war on terror is?

Is terrorism successful public policy? Huh? :-S
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby aaawall91 » Tue May 12, 2009 6:19 pm

We have to write a Public Policy research paper, the topic I was given was The war on terror.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Tue May 12, 2009 7:20 pm

You have a six-page paper due tomorrow, and you're still working on your thesis?

Good luck with that. :-b

Seriously, though. Procrastination kills. Don't do this again.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Tue May 12, 2009 8:29 pm

knapplc wrote:You have a six-page paper due tomorrow, and you're still working on your thesis?

Good luck with that. :-b

Seriously, though. Procrastination kills. Don't do this again.

Yeah that's painful. :-o :-b

aaawall91 wrote:We have to write a Public Policy research paper, the topic I was given was The war on terror.

I see, I'm actually still at a loss though. Public opinion on the war on terror I understand, "public policy' I don't really. I recently wrote a paper about the dangers of the US adopting an official policy to use torture under extreme circumstances, I doubt any of my resources would be useful.

I actually have my own paper I'm working on so... :-D
Metroid

Postby aaawall91 » Tue May 12, 2009 9:08 pm

I just don't understand what I'm suppose to write.

here is part of what he gave us
Public Policy- All of the goals a government sets and the various courses of action it pursues as it attempts to realize these goals.

It is your job to choose a public policy isse, research that issue, contrust a page paper on that issue, and present it to the clas for disussion. The research topic an be on unsuccesful or succesful policy agendas

These requirements:
report on why or how your policy passed or did not pass.

and then theres a bunch of thins we have to use for support such as federalism, bi-partisanship(or lack of), presidential leadership, media, ect

Any help? I have no idea...so far I have...

The war on Terror was a Public Policy started by the George W. Bush Administration to combate Terrorists in the Middle East, At home, and around the world.

I want to mention something about the starting up of the department of homeland defense...but I don't get this thesis thing.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue May 12, 2009 9:46 pm

Good thesis sentence except you need to lower case some words
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby aaawall91 » Tue May 12, 2009 9:53 pm

Of course :-)
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Metroid » Tue May 12, 2009 10:43 pm

OK I see now, I think you have a good start. You could always Google "Thesis." But a thesis is basically an outline of your paper, it tells the reader what to expect from the rest of your paper. Homeland Security would be good to elaborate on, you could maybe also talk about the Homeland Security Advisory System. Your thesis is just basic points you are going to write about more thoroughly in your paper. Avoid saying stuff like "I will explain" and "I will layout." Just explain it, and just lay it out....the reader doesn't need to know that you "are" going to do something, just do it. That make sense? :-?

That's probably stuff you already know....yeah I'm not much help. :-b
Metroid

Postby knapplc » Tue May 12, 2009 10:44 pm

Simply put, a thesis is an idea that is the focus of your paper. It is not a proven fact - that's the point of the paper. The facts you find through your research may prove or disprove your thesis, and either outcome is fine. The body of your paper is the journey you took to find out whether your thesis was true or not.

When you write a paper you start out with an intro paragraph - this introduces the subject matter to the reader/listener. The end of that paragraph is typically the thesis statement. Then the body of the paper is the discussion of the facts and information, both in support and contrary to, your thesis. The last paragraph of the paper typically resurrects the thesis statement, then draws a conclusion from the facts you found.

In simple terms, you tell them what you're going to tell them; you tell them; then you tell them what you told them. That's the essential structure of a paper like this.

Public policy is simply the things a government does. They are not laws and they are not necessarily specific, but they are usually courses of action that a government takes to reach some goal or end. The War on Terror is a public policy in that it's undefined, it's not a law, and it is kind of an overall bucket that says "we want to stop terrorism."

That's all the help I'm willing to give, since you'll learn far more by doing this yourself than by having someone else write it all out for you.

Good luck. And try to get some sleep!
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk