Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: School! Help! Goverment.

Postby aaawall91 » Fri May 15, 2009 6:29 am

I'm a senior in HS, out senior incentive is if
-our culumitive grade from 3rd and 4th quarter is a C or higher
- two or less EXCUSED absences, no unexcused during 4th quarter
- No suspensions (in or out of school)

than we don't have to take final exams.

And I got an A 3rd quarter, so my average would end up being a B most likely.

Actually now that I think about it there isn't even an exam for this class since its AP, and we already took the AP test...which I studied my ass off for.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Fri May 15, 2009 7:40 am

When I was a senior, our incentives were:

- Study your ass off every day and every night, regardless of GPA
- Any unexcused absences would result in a beatin'. Any complaints about the beatin' would result in a beatin'.
- You took Finals in every class, no exceptions. If you were a top student they made your Finals harder on purpose.
- Your lunch was a bowl of gruel, and you liked it. Any complaints about rocks found in your gruel would result in a beatin'.
- No one got suspended, ever. You were either a student or you were kicked out of school. If you were kicked out of school, your parents would give you a beatin'.

Of course, this was way back in the Stone Ages, so I know things have changed now. My kid goes to elementary school, and when the Principal walks down the hall all the kids give him hugs and high fives. When we saw our Principal walking down the hall we moved to the sides, like when an ambulance passes. We referred to him as Mr. Everett, and we would NEVER dream of hugging him.

This new-fangled learnin' you kids are doing is strange to me. :-b
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri May 15, 2009 8:37 am

pretty sure by the time i had to take my finals senior year i had already been accepted into college, so i could care less how i did on them...although that was almost 12 years ago so it's all a little fuzzy
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Fri May 15, 2009 9:38 am

My high school experience was more similar to Knapp's. The only "perk" I can recall having for performing well in school was a lunch pass to be able to leave school for lunch. Finals were required, and if you missed too many days you wouldn't graduate. :-?

I do remember the gruel...cept at our school it was called "the slop." :-B
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri May 15, 2009 10:51 am

Metroid wrote:My high school experience was more similar to Knapp's. The only "perk" I can recall having for performing well in school was a lunch pass to be able to leave school for lunch. Finals were required, and if you missed too many days you wouldn't graduate. :-?

i believe that varies from state to state, but from my understanding that was more a thinly veiled threat that they couldnt legally keep you from graduating as long as you met the other requirements. i had a buddy that literally missed an entire semester senior year but still graduated...
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Metroid » Fri May 15, 2009 11:43 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Metroid wrote:My high school experience was more similar to Knapp's. The only "perk" I can recall having for performing well in school was a lunch pass to be able to leave school for lunch. Finals were required, and if you missed too many days you wouldn't graduate. :-?

i believe that varies from state to state, but from my understanding that was more a thinly veiled threat that they couldnt legally keep you from graduating as long as you met the other requirements. i had a buddy that literally missed an entire semester senior year but still graduated...

Yeah I know in Cali, or at least when I was there, the state required you to have spent a certain amount of days in school as part of the requirement to graduate from a public high school. Really though the amount of days you could miss was quite a lot, I wanna say it was well over 50 days. I do know if you went over that or were in danger of going over they would send you to continuation school which in some weird way got you on track to graduate.

The public school system is a mess. So many kids fall through the cracks, or just barely get by, it's not even funny. I've talked to quite a few kids since I've been in school that were in no way, shape, or form ready for college, and were shocked when they got here and saw how "hard" it is.
Metroid

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri May 15, 2009 12:20 pm

Metroid wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:

Yeah I know in Cali, or at least when I was there, the state required you to have spent a certain amount of days in school as part of the requirement to graduate from a public high school. Really though the amount of days you could miss was quite a lot, I wanna say it was well over 50 days. I do know if you went over that or were in danger of going over they would send you to continuation school which in some weird way got you on track to graduate.

The public school system is a mess. So many kids fall through the cracks, or just barely get by, it's not even funny. I've talked to quite a few kids since I've been in school that were in no way, shape, or form ready for college, and were shocked when they got here and saw how "hard" it is.

yeah, i think ours was only 15, and even then if you had 21/24 possible credits you could get by...my guess is that most kids that exceed that generally dont pass the classes, so it becomes a moot point
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Metroid » Fri May 15, 2009 4:22 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Metroid wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:

yeah, i think ours was only 15, and even then if you had 21/24 possible credits you could get by...my guess is that most kids that exceed that generally dont pass the classes, so it becomes a moot point

I didn't mean 50 days, I meant 50 classes...still that seems high now that I think about it. I do know it was a lot compared to some places. I highly doubt it's like that at my high school anymore. I know the campus is completely closed now, now more leaving school for lunch. :-?

Off topic, I had a wicked burrito for lunch and my farts smell delightful. :-B
Metroid

Postby scottaa1 » Fri May 15, 2009 4:35 pm

Metroid wrote:The only "perk" I can recall having for performing well in school was a lunch pass to be able to leave school for lunch.

Same here. Only seniors were eligible, and it was HUGE to able to leave at lunch. While I'm sure some people were taking the opportunity to go get high, I am such a moral person that I have never, ever done anything like that. ;-D

There was a McD's up the street, but lunch break was so short it was hard pressed to get to the car, head there, order and eat, and get back in time. Still, it was getting off campus, which was good.

I wasn't a total goody-two-shoes, but I wasn't a trouble maker and I respected my teachers, so when I did do something worthy of punish, more often than not they'd slap the minimal one afternoon's detention on me, and I wouldn't go to it, and it would somehow escape the detention attendee audit.

I have alot of respect for teachers and what they have to put up with.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby aaawall91 » Sat May 16, 2009 12:18 am

So basically were going to sum this thread up and say the public education system doesn't JUST need vouchers...it needs to be privatized!

Hell yes. I firmly believe in this.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Previous

Return to General Talk