2009 3rd Year Wide Receivers - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

2009 3rd Year Wide Receivers

Moderator: Football Moderators

Which 3rd Year WRs are going to end the season as fantasy studs?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:35 pm

Calvin Johnson, Lions
30%
Dwayne Bowe, Chiefs
26%
Steve Breaston, Cardinals
8%
Anthony Gonzalez, Colts
21%
Ted Ginn, Jr., Dolphins
5%
Sidney Rice, Vikings
4%
Johnny Lee Higgins, Raiders
2%
Laurent Robinson, St. Louis
2%
Mike Walker, Jaguars
1%
Other
1%

Total votes : 183

2009 3rd Year Wide Receivers

Postby The Lung » Wed May 13, 2009 9:35 pm

We've all heard the adage surrounding 3rd year wide receivers: that after struggling in their first two years, many wide receivers finally "get it" and make the biggest strides in their third professional season. And surely, there's anecdotal evidence: Steve Smith, Plaxico Burress, Laveranues Coles, Braylon Edwards, Lance Moore, and even Terrell Owens are some household names that broke out in year three.

While some of this year's third-year wide receivers have already dropped some serious fantasy stats, who do you think is going to end the season as fantasy studs? Please vote for your top 4.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 2009 3rd Year Wide Receivers

Postby bungle613 » Wed May 13, 2009 9:42 pm

Yeah... I hope Calvin finally clicks and puts up some decent numbers! :-D ;-) :-b

Lung... must I vote for 5 OR just who I think will have some serious fantasy impact?
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby The Lung » Wed May 13, 2009 9:48 pm

bungle613 wrote:Lung... must I vote for 5 OR just who I think will have some serious fantasy impact?

Please note that I changed the poll to just 4.

Vote for all those who you think are going to have some serious fantasy impact. You don't have to use all 4 votes - if you don't see 4 fantasy studs on this list, then only vote for 3. (or less, if you are so inclined)
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby aaawall91 » Wed May 13, 2009 10:23 pm

We'll I read the description and I voted mostly towards those who would "make the biggest strides" in my mind.

And I got to vote for 5 NA NA NA NA :-D

I think the potential is there for all of them besides Mike Walker, JLH, and even Teddy G.

For all the rest of them I like the QB situation a ton...even Sage in Minny for Rice. Aside from Megatron and Detroit, who is talent alone will make him a stud if not already considered one.

The most interesting one to watch will be Minnesota. Rice, Berrian, Harvin, Shinacoe, Chester Taylor, AP (and the slew of mediocre WRing of Bobby Wade, Aundre Allison, and Glen Holt) all are capable of getting looks and touches it will be an interesting shake out With AP, Taylor, and Berrian and the top I think Rice would fit nicely as the 4th option in Minny if he makes the "strides" he needs to in this 3rd year and keep Harvin away.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby Amazinz » Thu May 14, 2009 9:23 am

My other vote is for Steve Smith of the NYG.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu May 14, 2009 11:10 am

FYI Laurent Robinson got traded to the Rams.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby The Lung » Thu May 14, 2009 11:48 am

steelerfan513 wrote:FYI Laurent Robinson got traded to the Rams.

What a stupid I am. :-B

Thanks. ;-D
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

Postby LS2throwed » Thu May 14, 2009 11:50 am

I remember the good ol days when WR's used to break out during their 3rd season, now it seems to happen much sooner then that all the time...I have always been a huge fan of Sidney Rice, but injuries halted his progression, and not only that but the fact that they were trying to spend top dollar for a 31 year old WR means he's not where they thought he should be up to this point.

I still fully believe if he plays 15-16 games he can rack up double digit TD's, he's always been a great red zone WR especially when given chances, maybe his potential tops out as a Reggie Williams type of WR(who also had that one double digit TD season), but I'm not expecting him to be the all-around dominant WR I felt he could be coming out.

Laurent Robinson certainly has some talent, and getting him for free(basically) was even better, he shouldn't be overlooked at all...His style contrast with Avery, he's very athletic, it's just about staying on the field, but I think he could develop into a pretty dynamic #2 WR in the NFL and he'll get his chance..."Breaking Out" this year would be pushing it for him though, I'd expect some numbers similiar to Mark Bradley but not much more until his 2nd year in STL.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby bungle613 » Thu May 14, 2009 12:04 pm

LS2throwed wrote:I remember the good ol days when WR's used to break out during their 3rd season, now it seems to happen much sooner then that all the time...I have always been a huge fan of Sidney Rice, but injuries halted his progression, and not only that but the fact that they were trying to spend top dollar for a 31 year old WR means he's not where they thought he should be up to this point.

I still fully believe if he plays 15-16 games he can rack up double digit TD's, he's always been a great red zone WR especially when given chances, maybe his potential tops out as a Reggie Williams type of WR(who also had that one double digit TD season), but I'm not expecting him to be the all-around dominant WR I felt he could be coming out.

Laurent Robinson certainly has some talent, and getting him for free(basically) was even better, he shouldn't be overlooked at all...His style contrast with Avery, he's very athletic, it's just about staying on the field, but I think he could develop into a pretty dynamic #2 WR in the NFL and he'll get his chance..."Breaking Out" this year would be pushing it for him though, I'd expect some numbers similiar to Mark Bradley but not much more until his 2nd year in STL.

I agree... I could only vote for 3 for break out seasons and I actually think I made a mistake. I can see Calvin taking a step back slightly if they put Stafford in right away.

It looks as though most have picked just the same 3 as I did.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu May 14, 2009 9:59 pm

Megatron and its not close IMO
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk