2009 3rd Year Wide Receivers - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

2009 3rd Year Wide Receivers

Moderator: Football Moderators

Which 3rd Year WRs are going to end the season as fantasy studs?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:35 pm

Calvin Johnson, Lions
30%
Dwayne Bowe, Chiefs
26%
Steve Breaston, Cardinals
8%
Anthony Gonzalez, Colts
21%
Ted Ginn, Jr., Dolphins
5%
Sidney Rice, Vikings
4%
Johnny Lee Higgins, Raiders
2%
Laurent Robinson, St. Louis
2%
Mike Walker, Jaguars
1%
Other
1%

Total votes : 183

Re: 2009 3rd Year Wide Receivers

Postby Instinctive » Thu May 14, 2009 10:50 pm

Is there no Devin Hester love even here?!?!?!

This is his third year as a WR, speed demon, improving routes, and.......Cutler. I say top 20.
Fourth and Inches (Dynasty)
Zealots: 4, 39, 56
Cafe Very Special Forces (Dynasty)
General Manager Wannabees
Frozen Tundra (Dynasty)
Instinctive
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kareighuis » Fri May 15, 2009 12:07 am

I only consider Bowe and Johnson future fantasy stud materiel this year. However, I think other WRs (Breaston, Gonzalez, Ginn) will be contributors.

Something I think that could be more useful- rank/tier the 3rd WRs:

Johnson

Bowe
Gonzalez

Ginn
Breaston- value depends on Boldin's presence
Steve Smith

Rice
Hester

Jason Hill
Laurent Robinson
Johnnie Lee Higgins

David Clowney
Jacoby Jones
James Jones

Derek Stanley
Courtney Taylor
Mike Walker
Craig Davis
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby deacon » Fri May 15, 2009 9:19 am

I am puzzled about why Breaston is so highly valued. He may have talent but he is still the #3WR on his team. In some mock drafts I see people taking him before WRs like Santana Moss, Laverneas Coles, etc.

Regardless of his talent in fantasy how can a #3WR be more highly prized than a #1 even if that teams passing attack is lackluster?
Bacon is the greatest meat of all!
deacon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby mattb47 » Fri May 15, 2009 9:27 am

deacon wrote:I am puzzled about why Breaston is so highly valued. He may have talent but he is still the #3WR on his team. In some mock drafts I see people taking him before WRs like Santana Moss, Laverneas Coles, etc.

Regardless of his talent in fantasy how can a #3WR be more highly prized than a #1 even if that teams passing attack is lackluster?

Well, he's on a top passing team, there are still questions about if Boldin will even be playing for them this season and Breaston already has shown some promise. Add in that Boldin hasn't exactly been able to stay on the field all the time as well on a consistent basis and he could see some serious time potentially as a #2 to Fitz which is a good place to be.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri May 15, 2009 10:53 am

Kareighuis wrote:I only consider Bowe and Johnson future fantasy stud materiel this year. However, I think other WRs (Breaston, Gonzalez, Ginn) will be contributors.

Something I think that could be more useful- rank/tier the 3rd WRs:

Johnson

Bowe
Gonzalez

Ginn
Breaston- value depends on Boldin's presence
Steve Smith

Rice
Hester

Jason Hill
Laurent Robinson
Johnnie Lee Higgins

David Clowney
Jacoby Jones
James Jones

Derek Stanley
Courtney Taylor
Mike Walker
Craig Davis

this
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LS2throwed » Fri May 15, 2009 11:54 am

Vikings WR Sidney Rice is still recovering from the sprained PCL in his right knee that plagued him throughout the 2008 season.
Rice says he's getting better, but he still feels pain when he runs at full speed. The 2007 second-rounder went in to the offseason as an intriguing Dynasty sleeper, but the ongoing knee problems and the drafting of Percy Harvin are significant roadblocks.
Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/player ... FL&id=4188

Don't hold your breath for Rice, it's worrisome he's still recovering it makes me think his knee injury was pretty significant because he suffered this originally back in October or so...Miles Austin suffered a similiar injury and returned to full speed a month later, Rice needs all the work he can get at this point because he's still pretty raw as he was coming out.

This looks like another rough year for him, another one of the many reasons why I hate drafting rookie WR's in dynasty drafts too much, you never know who is going to turn into a stud anymore.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby mrblitz » Fri May 15, 2009 3:05 pm

Love Gonzalez. I say he gets 69 catches 965 yards and 7 Tds.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Azrael » Tue May 19, 2009 1:26 pm

The other thing to note about Bowe is that now he'll be in the Todd Haley pass oriented offense that was used in AZ. Not saying it's going to turn into AZ's offense but couple that with the absence of Gonzo now and Bowe should at the least see a nice spike in targets. I would expect atleast a repeat of last year with another 100-200 yards and 2 or 3 more scores.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby mattb47 » Tue May 19, 2009 2:56 pm

Azrael wrote:The other thing to note about Bowe is that now he'll be in the Todd Haley pass oriented offense that was used in AZ. Not saying it's going to turn into AZ's offense but couple that with the absence of Gonzo now and Bowe should at the least see a nice spike in targets. I would expect atleast a repeat of last year with another 100-200 yards and 2 or 3 more scores.

Another thing to consider though is that a lot of teams used their best cover guys on Gonzo rather than Bowe and that will all change now which could hurt him a bit. It'll hurt not having another good target on that team I think...
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby LS2throwed » Tue May 19, 2009 6:14 pm

mattb47 wrote:
Azrael wrote:The other thing to note about Bowe is that now he'll be in the Todd Haley pass oriented offense that was used in AZ. Not saying it's going to turn into AZ's offense but couple that with the absence of Gonzo now and Bowe should at the least see a nice spike in targets. I would expect atleast a repeat of last year with another 100-200 yards and 2 or 3 more scores.

Another thing to consider though is that a lot of teams used their best cover guys on Gonzo rather than Bowe and that will all change now which could hurt him a bit. It'll hurt not having another good target on that team I think...

Well I don't think most #1 corners were on Gonzo each week, although you have to admit he made things so much easier for Bowe, guys like Gonzo, Witten, they open up things for the #1 WR not the other way around...So Bowe could struggle, but his targets will increase alot, and he was already at the top of the league in that department so it's a good look for him.

I've heard some things about him not having a great work ethic recently, but I don't know what to make of that because he's shown up and produced since day one, I think he can take that next jump to elite, if he could catch near 100 balls that would make him even that much more valuable.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer