2009 3rd Year Wide Receivers - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

2009 3rd Year Wide Receivers

Moderator: Football Moderators

Which 3rd Year WRs are going to end the season as fantasy studs?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:35 pm

Calvin Johnson, Lions
30%
Dwayne Bowe, Chiefs
26%
Steve Breaston, Cardinals
8%
Anthony Gonzalez, Colts
21%
Ted Ginn, Jr., Dolphins
5%
Sidney Rice, Vikings
4%
Johnny Lee Higgins, Raiders
2%
Laurent Robinson, St. Louis
2%
Mike Walker, Jaguars
1%
Other
1%

Total votes : 183

Re: 2009 3rd Year Wide Receivers

Postby mattb47 » Tue May 19, 2009 6:39 pm

LS2throwed wrote:
mattb47 wrote:
Azrael wrote:The other thing to note about Bowe is that now he'll be in the Todd Haley pass oriented offense that was used in AZ. Not saying it's going to turn into AZ's offense but couple that with the absence of Gonzo now and Bowe should at the least see a nice spike in targets. I would expect atleast a repeat of last year with another 100-200 yards and 2 or 3 more scores.

Another thing to consider though is that a lot of teams used their best cover guys on Gonzo rather than Bowe and that will all change now which could hurt him a bit. It'll hurt not having another good target on that team I think...

Well I don't think most #1 corners were on Gonzo each week, although you have to admit he made things so much easier for Bowe, guys like Gonzo, Witten, they open up things for the #1 WR not the other way around...So Bowe could struggle, but his targets will increase alot, and he was already at the top of the league in that department so it's a good look for him.

I've heard some things about him not having a great work ethic recently, but I don't know what to make of that because he's shown up and produced since day one, I think he can take that next jump to elite, if he could catch near 100 balls that would make him even that much more valuable.

Well I do know for example that Champ Bailey would regularly be on Gonzo and I know there were others as well that spent a lot of attention on Gonzalez moreso than Bowe in last season and past years as well. Gonzalez was their leading receiver last season and losing him will hurt Bowe more than helps him I think.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Lung » Wed May 27, 2009 6:56 pm

An article from Sporting News about 3rd Year Wide Receivers: http://fantasy.sportingnews.com/nfl/experts/vinnie-iyer/20090527.html

Third-year receivers: Calvin inclined
May 27, 2009

Vinnie Iyer
Sporting News

They say it takes three years to fully evaluate an NFL draft class. When it comes to talented wide receivers and fantasy football, however, it has become a popular notion that Year 3 is their time to shine.

But with receivers coming in bigger, faster, stronger and more polished from college, the adjustment period has seemed to shrink in recent seasons and more receivers have been adept in making an immediate impact.

Just take a quick look at last year's class of third-year wideouts. The group included Marques Colston, Greg Jennings, Brandon Marshall and Super Bowl hero Santonio Holmes. All those players were on the scene as viable fantasy starters before '08.

From the '07 rookie class, we already know a certain wide receiver who, despite playing for a winless team last season, is the real deal for '09 and beyond. Here's breaking down the Lions' legend-in-the-making and this year's other notable third-year receivers:

1. Calvin Johnson, Lions.

continued...
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby Kareighuis » Wed May 27, 2009 7:27 pm

Thanks Lung- Good Find!

Interesting that he left off Hester (who gets a QB with a rocket arm), Jason Hill and Laurent Robinson. Whatever you think of those last two, a #4 shouldn't be ranked over a starting WR.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Billsbacker » Thu May 28, 2009 4:51 pm

Megatron, Bowe and, to a lesser extent, Gonzalez are the obvious choices, but they will also be drafted very high. As a deep sleeper, don't overlook Higgins, who probably won't even be drafted in most leagues. He scored TD's in each of his last 3 games last year, and while all eyes are on Heyward-Bey, Higgins has a good chance to out-produce him. Worth a late-round flyer, IMO.
Billsbacker
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Instinctive » Thu May 28, 2009 5:17 pm

Could we get some Hester love in here?

I know he isn't a 3rd year player, but he is a third year receiver. A #1 receiver. With a big time QB that has a big time arm for his big time speed. Looks kind of suspiciously like Steve Smith's career path thus far....................
Fourth and Inches (Dynasty)
Zealots: 4, 39, 56
Cafe Very Special Forces (Dynasty)
General Manager Wannabees
Frozen Tundra (Dynasty)
Instinctive
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafeholic

Postby Azrael » Fri May 29, 2009 11:25 am

Instinctive wrote:Could we get some Hester love in here?

I know he isn't a 3rd year player, but he is a third year receiver. A #1 receiver. With a big time QB that has a big time arm for his big time speed. Looks kind of suspiciously like Steve Smith's career path thus far....................

It's a distinct possibility that he could have a blow up year. Playmaking QB comes to town. He doesn't have a bullseye on him as a guy you need to watch out for. If he works hard on becoming a polished route runner in addition to his blistering speed, he's going to be damn hard to cover. My concern is will the Chicago OC create opportunites for Hester to get the ball in space like Carolina does for SSmith with the stand stills and smoke screens. It can't be just about him trying to outrun everyone.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Previous

Return to Football Talk