Vick to begin workouts - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Vick to begin workouts

Moderator: Football Moderators

Vick to begin workouts

Postby mrblitz » Sat May 16, 2009 12:59 pm

Eyeing return to NFL, Vick to begin workouts after prison release
By Steve Wyche | NFL.com
Suspended quarterback Michael Vick will begin working with a trainer and start football-related workouts shortly after being released from prison next week, according to a source familiar with the situation.

Vick will finish the final two months of his 23-month federal sentence on dogfighting charges under home confinement in Hampton, Va. He has been imprisoned in Leavenworth, Kan., since fall of 2007 after pleading guilty to funding an interstate dogfighting operation that was based at a home he owned in Surry County, Va. http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d ... nfirm=true

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Vick to begin workouts

Postby Nfl Fan » Wed May 20, 2009 2:56 pm

I guess it's news...
Vick is back home now. :-X

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,520 ... latestnews

From article:

Vick has said he wants to work with the Humane Society of the United States on a program aimed at eradicating dogfighting among urban teens, society president Wayne Pacelle said Tuesday.
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Metroid » Wed May 20, 2009 3:20 pm

Nfl Fan wrote:
Vick has said he wants to work with the Humane Society of the United States on a program aimed at eradicating dogfighting among urban teens, society president Wayne Pacelle said Tuesday.

Not that he needs it but if he does this, and is truly committed, he will earn my forgiveness. Sure he served the time for his crime but for me he needs to do more on his own to show he is sorry for what he's done, understands why it was so wrong, and wants to help make sure others out there don't participate in dogfighting. I'd like to see his main focus in life be "eradicating dogfighting among urban teens" rather than playing in the NFL again. I doubt that will be the case but I hope it is.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Nfl Fan » Wed May 20, 2009 4:49 pm

Metroid wrote:
Nfl Fan wrote:

Not that he needs it but if he does this, and is truly committed, he will earn my forgiveness. Sure he served the time for his crime but for me he needs to do more on his own to show he is sorry for what he's done, understands why it was so wrong, and wants to help make sure others out there don't participate in dogfighting. I'd like to see his main focus in life be "eradicating dogfighting among urban teens" rather than playing in the NFL again. I doubt that will be the case but I hope it is.

I'm willing to forgive as well, providing he does what you tell him to do.
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Metroid » Wed May 20, 2009 6:04 pm

Nfl Fan wrote:
Metroid wrote:
Nfl Fan wrote:

I'm willing to forgive as well, providing he does what you tell him to do.

Darn right. :-b
Metroid

Postby eaglesrule » Wed May 20, 2009 7:12 pm

Thing is, I have mixed emotion about this. Yes, he "served his time" -- but serving your time doesn't mean you are truly repaid. It's not a fee you pay for the right of doing what you want. It is the minimum punishment society asks of you. If you screw up at work or with your parents, or even school, you do the immediate punishment, but you still need to work to get back to a level of trust or good graces.

In many states, you are absolutely allowed to ask if a potential employee was ever convicted of a felony, and you are allowed to discriminate on such a basis. There are states where your "right" to vote or carry a firearm is forever compromised because of your felony status as well.

Considering all this, I don't think it is absurd to say, you know what? This guy doesn't need to be in the league, because he is a scumbag.

All that being said, how do you draw the line? Is 100 dogs worth one human life? Is 50 worth beating a woman? I am for animal rights, but then again, dogs aren't people. Is doing what Vick did the same as murdering someone, beating a wife, abusing a kid, killing someone drunk driving? What about what the Enron people did? Is killing ONE person worse than ruining hundreds of lives?

There are some moral dillemas here, so perhaps the NFL should make Vick do some "extra" that the legal world doesn't insist on. Perhaps an ad during a playoff game, etc. Personally, I don't think he is that good anyway, but he is a talent.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Kensat30 » Wed May 20, 2009 8:23 pm

If Leonard Little is still in the league, Michael Vick should be welcomed back in with open arms.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Metroid » Wed May 20, 2009 9:45 pm

Kensat30 wrote:If Leonard Little is still in the league, Michael Vick should be welcomed back in with open arms.

Did someone say Vick shouldn't be allowed back in the league? :-?
Metroid

Postby aaawall91 » Wed May 20, 2009 9:50 pm

Yes, I'm sure someone somewhere has, infact my girlfriend did today.

But take that with a grain of salt, she thought Tom Brady was the QB, RB, and WR for Baltimore Ravens...and the New York Giants along with Petyon Manning, whose Brother plays for the NFL Texas Longhorns...
:-D :-b
Last edited by aaawall91 on Wed May 20, 2009 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby deacon » Wed May 20, 2009 9:52 pm

eaglesrule wrote:Considering all this, I don't think it is absurd to say, you know what? This guy doesn't need to be in the league, because he is a scumbag.

If you used this criteria to then there should be many many more people kicked out of the league.
Bacon is the greatest meat of all!
deacon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Football Talk