Redskins have right to use trademark - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Redskins have right to use trademark

Moderator: Football Moderators

Redskins have right to use trademark

Postby mrblitz » Sat May 16, 2009 2:42 pm

Appeals court rules Redskins have right to use trademark
Associated Press


WASHINGTON -- The Washington Redskins won another legal victory Friday in a 17-year fight with a group of American Indians who contend the football team's trademark is racially offensive. http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d ... nfirm=true
Image


Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 12770
Joined: 16 Jul 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Having a coffee at the fantasy cafe.

Re: Redskins have right to use trademark

Postby Nfl Fan » Sat May 16, 2009 4:53 pm

Fighting Irish fans must be relieved. ;-7
Image
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 6275
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 18 May 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: AUTZEN!!!!!!

Re: Redskins have right to use trademark

Postby steelerfan513 » Sat May 16, 2009 9:27 pm

How ironic that the most ridiculously politically correct town I know has the most politically incorrect football team name in all of sports. I hope they get forced to change it at some point, although I don't think it will happen in the near future for various reasons.
Image
Image
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Posts: 11906
Joined: 15 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Redskins have right to use trademark

Postby 18 and 1 » Mon May 18, 2009 10:03 am

This country is too enamored with political correctness. We're a laughing stock to the entire world as a result. Finally, a victory for common sense.
18 and 1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 130
Joined: 10 Feb 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Redskins have right to use trademark

Postby aaawall91 » Mon May 18, 2009 10:34 pm

18 and 1 wrote:This country is too enamored with political correctness. We're a laughing stock to the entire world as a result. Finally, a victory for common sense.


Agreed. People need to take a step back and look at the big picture here. I just can't stand the constant attempts to be "politically correct" whats the point? It chances by the week...

Here is a quiz...without doing any research or talking to anyone...or going to the next posts...which word(s) is the current "politically correct" term for a person with an adult height of 4'10" or shorter

A)Midgets
B)Small People
C)Little People
D)Dwarfs
E)Jawa
F)All of the above
G)None of the above

Note: Quiz ends the minute after this post was originally made due to constant change of what is politically correct.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 9934
(Past Year: 62)
Joined: 15 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: East Lansing

Re: Redskins have right to use trademark

Postby Johnny U » Tue May 19, 2009 1:27 am

It's completely reasonable that "Redskins" would be offensive to Native Americans, just as "Blackskins" would be to African Americans and "Yellowskins" to Asian Americans. I think it's inarguable that a team today stubbornly clinging to an antiquated reference of an overt physical characteristic conspicuous to blacks, hispanics or Asians would succumb to the protests and political attacks. The only reason the Redskins are still the "Redskins" is because Native Americans apparently lack the clout to force a change. I'm personally not offended by it, but I can see how it would be construed as racist by those of a particular hue.
Johnny U
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 138
Joined: 30 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Redskins have right to use trademark

Postby Metroid » Tue May 19, 2009 8:42 am

Nfl Fan wrote:Fighting Irish fans must be relieved. ;-7


You cannot be likening the term "Fighting Irish" with "The Redskins?" The Notre Dame Crackers would be more similar to The Washington Redskins. For you people shrugging this off as just another case of overblown political correctness I have to ask if you would find any of those other names offensive? The Term "Redskin" is just as ugly and disgusting a racist term as any of those. It's not about being "PC", it's about not being ignorant. An entire race was virtually wiped off the face of the earth and some of you think it's OK to have a sports team, on their land, with a Native American mascot and a slanderous racist name? If you don't see how wrong that really is you never will. :-?
Image
Metroid
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 22544
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Bringing the funk in P-Town!

Re: Redskins have right to use trademark

Postby joejlitz » Tue May 19, 2009 11:33 am

Metroid wrote:
Nfl Fan wrote:Fighting Irish fans must be relieved. ;-7


You cannot be likening the term "Fighting Irish" with "The Redskins?" The Notre Dame Crackers would be more similar to The Washington Redskins. For you people shrugging this off as just another case of overblown political correctness I have to ask if you would find any of those other names offensive? The Term "Redskin" is just as ugly and disgusting a racist term as any of those. It's not about being "PC", it's about not being ignorant. An entire race was virtually wiped off the face of the earth and some of you think it's OK to have a sports team, on their land, with a Native American mascot and a slanderous racist name? If you don't see how wrong that really is you never will. :-?

Wow -- Met, met, met. Slow down. See this icon here ? ;-7
That means tongue in cheek. He was telling a joke.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
Image
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 7050
(Past Year: 37)
Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Football
Location: G-14 Classified

Re: Redskins have right to use trademark

Postby joejlitz » Tue May 19, 2009 11:45 am

I wish I still had the link to the Native American organization that supports the names Redskins, Braves, Blackhawks, etc.

All I could find in a quick search was:

According to polling results published in Sports Illustrated in February 2002, "Although most Native American activists and tribal leaders consider Indian team names and mascots offensive, neither Native Americans in general nor a cross section of U.S. sports fans agree." According to the article, "There is a near total disconnect between Indian activists and the Native American population on this issue."


This is huge. This basically is saying that these Native American activists aren't necesarrily representing what their community wants. Maybe the activists are just the ones with the money, the organization, and the platform to allow them to voice their opinion. But according to this study, the masses don't agree.

Also:

Steven Denson, director of diversity for Southern Methodist UniversitySouthern Methodist University
Southern Methodist University is a private university, coeducational university in University Park, Texas, Texas . Founded in 1911 by the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, SMU currently operates campuses in University Park, Plano, Texas, and Taos, New Mexico and member of the Chickasaw. The Chickasaw are Native Americans in the United States people originally from the Southeastern United States . They are of the Muskogean linguistic group nation, while not issuing a blanket endorsement, has nevertheless stated that there are acceptable ways to use Native American mascots if it is done in a respectful and tasteful manner. He states, “I believe it is acceptable if used in a way that fosters understanding and increased positive awareness of the Native-American culture. And it must also be done with the support of the Native-American community. There is a way to achieve a partnership that works together to achieve mutually beneficial goals.”

...
Other Indian tribes have also supported the use of their tribal names as a tribute to their heritage. The Utes are an ethnically related group of Native Americans in the United States now living primarily in Utah and Colorado. The Ute tribe approved the use of the name "Utes" for the University of Utah and the NCAA granted a waiver to allow the name to remain.


http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics ... ontroversy.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
Image
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 7050
(Past Year: 37)
Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Football
Location: G-14 Classified

Re: Redskins have right to use trademark

Postby Nfl Fan » Tue May 19, 2009 11:59 am

joejlitz wrote:
Metroid wrote:
Nfl Fan wrote:Fighting Irish fans must be relieved. ;-7


You cannot be likening the term "Fighting Irish" with "The Redskins?" The Notre Dame Crackers would be more similar to The Washington Redskins. For you people shrugging this off as just another case of overblown political correctness I have to ask if you would find any of those other names offensive? The Term "Redskin" is just as ugly and disgusting a racist term as any of those. It's not about being "PC", it's about not being ignorant. An entire race was virtually wiped off the face of the earth and some of you think it's OK to have a sports team, on their land, with a Native American mascot and a slanderous racist name? If you don't see how wrong that really is you never will. :-?

Wow -- Met, met, met. Slow down. See this icon here ? ;-7
That means tongue in cheek. He was telling a joke.


Yeah... easy there. ;-7 ;-7 ;-7 :-b
Image
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 6275
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 18 May 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: AUTZEN!!!!!!

Next

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 0:24 hours
(and 39 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact