Redskins have right to use trademark - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Redskins have right to use trademark

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Redskins have right to use trademark

Postby Metroid » Tue May 19, 2009 4:54 pm

Oh FYI I've had long discussions with Shannon(quarter Native), her mom and aunts(half Native), as well as other members of her family about this exact issue. They all find the term "redskin" highly offensive but don't really have a problem with The Indians, The Braves, The Cheifs, The Fighting Illini, etc. The difference between all those and The Redskins is that only one of them is a degrading, racial slur. As long as the teams are respectful when using and portraying Natives to represent them, they don't have a problem with it. The problem is that the name "Redskin" itself is disrespectful.
Kensat30 wrote:Who gives a rats ass about Native Americans?


I do. :-[
Image
Metroid
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 22544
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Bringing the funk in P-Town!

Re: Redskins have right to use trademark

Postby Kensat30 » Tue May 19, 2009 6:55 pm

Metroid wrote:Oh FYI I've had long discussions with Shannon(quarter Native), her mom and aunts(half Native), as well as other members of her family about this exact issue. They all find the term "redskin" highly offensive but don't really have a problem with The Indians, The Braves, The Cheifs, The Fighting Illini, etc. The difference between all those and The Redskins is that only one of them is a degrading, racial slur. As long as the teams are respectful when using and portraying Natives to represent them, they don't have a problem with it. The problem is that the name "Redskin" itself is disrespectful.
Kensat30 wrote:Who gives a rats ass about Native Americans?


I do. :-[


Sorry, I retract my statement about you not having a reason to care. I also agree that racial slurs should not be a part of the NFL, but I'm confused as to where the line should be drawn. According to this webpage http://en.allexperts.com/q/Washington-Redskins-298/Mascot-1.htm, the term Redskin no longer has the same meaning it once had. I personally hear the term Redskin and think of the football team, but for some Native Americans/Indians the term Redskin is offensive.

I'm just tired of all the political correctness in the world today that you have to put up with if you want to be viewed as normal. Is it African American or is it black. Is it Native American or is it Indian. I'm part asian and and I have experienced racism throughout my life intended or not. But do I get pissed off if someone compares me to Sheng Tsung on Mortal Combat or Jon and Kate plus 8? No, I just think they are a dumbass. The point I'm trying to make is that there are a lot of racists out there and you need have some thick skin at times. There is so much racism in this country you would have to pick a fight with virtually everything and everyone to get rid of it all. These people offended by the freaking Redskins need to devote their time and energy to the betterment of their people and culture if their intention is to change the perception of that group.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Writer
Posts: 6427
Joined: 2 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Redskins have right to use trademark

Postby Metroid » Tue May 19, 2009 8:45 pm

Kensat30 wrote:
Metroid wrote:Oh FYI I've had long discussions with Shannon(quarter Native), her mom and aunts(half Native), as well as other members of her family about this exact issue. They all find the term "redskin" highly offensive but don't really have a problem with The Indians, The Braves, The Cheifs, The Fighting Illini, etc. The difference between all those and The Redskins is that only one of them is a degrading, racial slur. As long as the teams are respectful when using and portraying Natives to represent them, they don't have a problem with it. The problem is that the name "Redskin" itself is disrespectful.
Kensat30 wrote:Who gives a rats ass about Native Americans?


I do. :-[


Sorry, I retract my statement about you not having a reason to care. I also agree that racial slurs should not be a part of the NFL, but I'm confused as to where the line should be drawn. According to this webpage http://en.allexperts.com/q/Washington-Redskins-298/Mascot-1.htm, the term Redskin no longer has the same meaning it once had. I personally hear the term Redskin and think of the football team, but for some Native Americans/Indians the term Redskin is offensive.

I'm just tired of all the political correctness in the world today that you have to put up with if you want to be viewed as normal. Is it African American or is it black. Is it Native American or is it Indian. I'm part asian and and I have experienced racism throughout my life intended or not. But do I get pissed off if someone compares me to Sheng Tsung on Mortal Combat or Jon and Kate plus 8? No, I just think they are a dumbass. The point I'm trying to make is that there are a lot of racists out there and you need have some thick skin at times. There is so much racism in this country you would have to pick a fight with virtually everything and everyone to get rid of it all. These people offended by the freaking Redskins need to devote their time and energy to the betterment of their people and culture if their intention is to change the perception of that group.

Apology accepted, no biggie man. Like I said I'm in a good mood today. :-B

I am going to remove myself from this conversation now as I do not feel I can carry on with this discussion without getting heated. ;-D
Image
Metroid
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 22544
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Bringing the funk in P-Town!

Re: Redskins have right to use trademark

Postby mrblitz » Tue May 19, 2009 8:59 pm

My outlook on the subject is pretty simple. When the Redskins initially took on the team name, there was obviously nothing racial intended. That being said, there are more important issues going on in the World that people should be concerned with.
Image


Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 12770
Joined: 16 Jul 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Having a coffee at the fantasy cafe.

Re: Redskins have right to use trademark

Postby Metroid » Tue May 19, 2009 9:07 pm

mrblitz wrote:My outlook on the subject is pretty simple. When the Redskins initially took on the team name, there was obviously nothing racial intended. That being said, there are more important issues going on in the World that people should be concerned with.

OK I lied. :-B

Of course there are more important things. My point was that the term is in fact racist, and some find it offensive. Am I, or will Shannon, lose sleep if the Redskins keep their name? Not at all, we have much more important things to worry about. But that still doesn't mean it's OK. :-?

Now I'm out. :-D
Image
Metroid
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 22544
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Bringing the funk in P-Town!

Re: Redskins have right to use trademark

Postby aaawall91 » Tue May 19, 2009 9:24 pm

If they change their name what will change exactly?

Miami University, located the town I've lived my whole life in, to this day, used to be Called the Miami Redskins. In 1998 they changed the name to the Miami Redhawks.

People still carry signs, wear shirts, have bumper stickers that all say "Redskins forever", over ten years later.

More so the university still sells shirts and memorabilia with the words "redskins forever" as well as has the old logo, on shirts, memorabilia, even in the sporting facilities there are HUGE icons of the old logo.

(that can be now seen in my avatar)

The brand new Ice Arena, one of the finest college rinks in the country, has it and can be seen in this picture by the left spotlight.
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/9748518.jpg

People give names meaning. Changing the name won't change the icons and images. People will still use the Redskin name, I know I would.

Its more than a word, its a trunk to a tree of many symbols signs and images associated with the team.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 9934
(Past Year: 62)
Joined: 15 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: East Lansing

Re: Redskins have right to use trademark

Postby joejlitz » Wed May 20, 2009 4:21 am

aaawall91 wrote:People give names meaning.

Profound, AAA, and an excellent point. Words do morph with the passage of time and their usage. If I were to intentionally try to offend a modern day Indian, I think calling him or her a Redskin would be the last thing I would think of.

PS: AAA - Stop with all your subliminal hockey messages in the football thread! It won't work! :-b
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
Image
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 7050
(Past Year: 37)
Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Football
Location: G-14 Classified

Re: Redskins have right to use trademark

Postby aaawall91 » Wed May 20, 2009 6:28 am

what football thread? this is the hockey cafe...

try this
http://www.fantasyhockeycafe.com/forums ... db7f774c12
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 9934
(Past Year: 62)
Joined: 15 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: East Lansing

Previous

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 20:30 hours
(and 34 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact