James Harrison dissing the White House - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

James Harrison dissing the White House

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: James Harrison dissing the White House

Postby Metroid » Wed May 20, 2009 10:05 am

Now there's rumors that the reason he isn't going is he's afraid to fly....but wait he only lives 8 hours from DC. :-b
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09140/971339-66.stm

There is some of his other comments in there as well. People may have forgotten but he didn't go to the White House after their last Superbowl win either. ;-)
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby joejlitz » Wed May 20, 2009 11:16 am

aaawall91 wrote:You are correct, than I fail to see the comments Harrison made, are the in an article not posted in this thread?

The president of the United States is the most powerful man in the world. Harrison publicly stated that a visit to the White House isn't all that special and that if the most powerful man in the world really wanted to see the Steelers, he should have invited them in general and not just because they won the SB.

This is "news" because many people feel that those comments are inflammatory and small-minded on Harrison's part.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby Metroid » Wed May 20, 2009 11:32 am

joejlitz wrote:The president of the United States is the most powerful man in the world.

I believe Chuck Norris would have something to say about this. :-B
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Azrael » Wed May 20, 2009 12:02 pm

Not to sabotage the thread but maybe he's just not that interested and the way he said it he didn't choose his words very well. 5 or 6 years ago most people couldn't tell you who Barack Obama was. I could see someone thinking "dude wasn't really anyone 5 years ago, now I should be all thrilled to meet him because he's President, no thanks". Even so, I would think someone would want to go just to see the White House from a historic perspective.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby iamgregg » Wed May 20, 2009 12:55 pm

I don't think this isn't about the audactiy of not wanting to visit the White House.

It's his incredibly self-absorbed arrogant reasons for it that's getting the attention. Quite honestly, it's so ridiculous it makes me chuckle.
iamgregg
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby mattUTD20 » Wed May 20, 2009 11:02 pm

Not at all surprised by this, the guy thinks quite a bit of himself. Has questionable judgement off the field and I lost what little respect I had for him when he stood over that Cards player and knocked him back down to keep him from getting up on that punt in the Super Bowl. Classless.
"Maurice Jones-Drew, below the waist, is incredible." Mike Mayock

Cafe Leagues

Eat Cheese Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 1
Ball Breakers Keeper (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 3 PvYr: 2
4th and Goal Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 9
mattUTD20
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mattb47 » Wed May 20, 2009 11:15 pm

mattUTD20 wrote:Not at all surprised by this, the guy thinks quite a bit of himself. Has questionable judgement off the field and I lost what little respect I had for him when he stood over that Cards player and knocked him back down to keep him from getting up on that punt in the Super Bowl. Classless.

Where else can you point to of being able to support your statement of "the guy thinks quite a bit of himself" and "has questionable judgment off the field"? Sure the play where he was going after that Cards player like that wasn't great but it's a game where tempers flare high and who knows what the guy could have said/did to Harrison prior to that which may have upset him...if that happened he should have been smart enough not to let it get to him but I don't think what he's done warrants your conclusion of his character. The guy is a hard worker who has had to work his butt off to get where he is now after being passed up over and over.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby joejlitz » Thu May 21, 2009 4:03 am

mattb47 wrote: The guy is a hard worker who has had to work his butt off to get where he is now after being passed up over and over.

And that's what sucks. If I remember right, the guy was an undrafted rookie, started out at TE (?), rode the pine on defense and then becomed DPOY. But you reap what you sow and in this day and age, when you have that limelight, you have to be especially careful of what you do and say. The media is everywhere and a squeaky clean, hard-working image can flip over night. Sometimes it's because the cameras catch you at a bad time. Sometimes it's because the cameras capture the real you. But Harrison has an incredible back story and he's ruining it by being stoopid.

You don't want to go to the White House? That's fine, don't go. But just shut up about it. If you never opened your mouth, this wouldn't have been an issue.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby knapplc » Thu May 21, 2009 7:28 am

iamgregg wrote:It's his incredibly self-absorbed arrogant reasons for it that's getting the attention. Quite honestly, it's so ridiculous it makes me chuckle.

joejlitz wrote:You don't want to go to the White House? That's fine, don't go. But just shut up about it. If you never opened your mouth, this wouldn't have been an issue.

These two quotes sum up my feelings on this. The failure to recognize that there are greater things than you is in play here. It is laughable in its silliness. And had he just shut up about his reasons, nobody anywhere would have cared that he didn't make the trip.

offseason
Main Entry: off–sea·son
Pronunciation: \ˈȯf-ˌsē-zən\
Function: noun
Date: 1848
: a time of suspended or reduced brain activity on the part of many athletes; especially : the time during which an athlete is not training or competing, allowing them time to make ridiculous comments and/or engage in embarrassing activities.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Thu May 21, 2009 9:15 am

joejlitz wrote:
mattb47 wrote: The guy is a hard worker who has had to work his butt off to get where he is now after being passed up over and over.

And that's what sucks. If I remember right, the guy was an undrafted rookie, started out at TE (?), rode the pine on defense and then becomed DPOY. But you reap what you sow and in this day and age, when you have that limelight, you have to be especially careful of what you do and say. The media is everywhere and a squeaky clean, hard-working image can flip over night. Sometimes it's because the cameras catch you at a bad time. Sometimes it's because the cameras capture the real you. But Harrison has an incredible back story and he's ruining it by being stoopid.

You don't want to go to the White House? That's fine, don't go. But just shut up about it. If you never opened your mouth, this wouldn't have been an issue.

I dunno. I think that Harrison is showing his owner, teammates, and the league disrespect. I wonder if anyone told him that he is invited not as James Harrison, but as a member of the SB champion Pittsburgh Steelers? It wouldn't be a bad thing to take some time out of a busy off-season schedule to attend. It shocks me a bit that the ultra image concious Goodell hasn't fined Harrison for tarnishing the image of the league. (Only a little tongue-in-cheek there)

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk