James Harrison dissing the White House - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

James Harrison dissing the White House

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: James Harrison dissing the White House

Postby mattUTD20 » Thu May 21, 2009 9:48 am

mattb47 wrote:
mattUTD20 wrote:Not at all surprised by this, the guy thinks quite a bit of himself. Has questionable judgement off the field and I lost what little respect I had for him when he stood over that Cards player and knocked him back down to keep him from getting up on that punt in the Super Bowl. Classless.

Where else can you point to of being able to support your statement of "the guy thinks quite a bit of himself" and "has questionable judgment off the field"?

He beat on his girlfriend and publicly accused a ref of having money on a game for some inconsequential roughing the passer call?

I understand you are a Steelers fan so there is going to be really no point in me debating this any further but I want to make sure it is clear this guy is not someone to be idolized. He's a great player and I enjoy hearing about guys making it after being passed over, but his success doesn't give him a free pass to be an idiot.

He thinks he is bigger than the team and that the President owes them something and should come see them on his time. Gimme a break, he needs to have a slice of humble pie and realize he is just a physical anomaly that plays for the enjoyment of others and in the grand scheme of things, is far insignificant when compared to someone like the leader of the free world. His teammates and anyone associated with him should be embarassed by his actions.
"Maurice Jones-Drew, below the waist, is incredible." Mike Mayock

Cafe Leagues

Eat Cheese Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 1
Ball Breakers Keeper (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 3 PvYr: 2
4th and Goal Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 9
mattUTD20
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Munboy » Thu May 21, 2009 10:38 am

So he doesn't want to go meet the Prez. Big deal. I don't care what he does or doesn't want to do as long as he produces on the field. This is pretty mild actually considering what Steelers fans had to put up with from Joey Porter.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby steelerfan513 » Sat May 23, 2009 4:10 pm

I'm not all that surprised by this; Harrison is definitely a strange dude. That combined with his relative lack of success until this season, and it doesn't surprise me that he believes that the Steelers shouldn't have to win the Super Bowl to get invited to the White House.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby joejlitz » Sat May 23, 2009 6:48 pm

The glare never cracks. It's there when things go bad, when Harrison was cut four times and pondered becoming a bus driver. It's here in the best season of his life, when he's the NFL's defensive MVP and Super Bowl-bound.

It's a great story of how he made it and worked hard in his last camp with the flash cards. But to hear stories of how he violently assaulted his girlfriend, has anger issues, and got cut four times, but still made DPOY, it's hard not to think: Steroids.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby mattb47 » Sat May 23, 2009 7:51 pm

joejlitz wrote:
The glare never cracks. It's there when things go bad, when Harrison was cut four times and pondered becoming a bus driver. It's here in the best season of his life, when he's the NFL's defensive MVP and Super Bowl-bound.

It's a great story of how he made it and worked hard in his last camp with the flash cards. But to hear stories of how he violently assaulted his girlfriend, has anger issues, and got cut four times, but still made DPOY, it's hard not to think: Steroids.

Probably unwise to throw out unfounded allegations...
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby joejlitz » Sun May 24, 2009 7:55 am

mattb47 wrote:
joejlitz wrote:

It's not unwise (no one is going to come to my house to break my knee caps), nor are they allegations (I didn't say he is on steroids). This is a forum for discussion. And listening to his story, there are some key things that make me think he could be on steroids.

Not sure if your team allegiance is blinding you to that or not, but if it is, pretend he was a DET Lion. ;-7

I feel the setup for a big fall coming, much like after the McGwire/Sosa home run chase. Great story and all, but tainted. (please don't address the falacies of this metaphor. It's not perfect and I know he was supposedly taking something that was not on the list of banned substances and all, etc. etc. and yadda yadda yadda. But I'm trying to say I feel big disappointment coming up. This climb to being an elite player is way too incredible and too fairy tale-ish that I have my doubts. I hope I'm wrong).
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Sun May 24, 2009 10:36 am

joejlitz wrote:
mattb47 wrote:
joejlitz wrote:

It's not unwise (no one is going to come to my house to break my knee caps), nor are they allegations (I didn't say he is on steroids). This is a forum for discussion. And listening to his story, there are some key things that make me think he could be on steroids.

Not sure if your team allegiance is blinding you to that or not, but if it is, pretend he was a DET Lion. ;-7

I feel the setup for a big fall coming, much like after the McGwire/Sosa home run chase. Great story and all, but tainted. (please don't address the falacies of this metaphor. It's not perfect and I know he was supposedly taking something that was not on the list of banned substances and all, etc. etc. and yadda yadda yadda. But I'm trying to say I feel big disappointment coming up. This climb to being an elite player is way too incredible and too fairy tale-ish that I have my doubts. I hope I'm wrong).

NFL Football players make a living living on the edge of aggressive behavior and criminally aggresive behavior. That a football player would assualt his GF and has anger issues is not the least bit surprising and happens a keck of a lot more that we want to know. It is an element of the psychological make-up that makes them excel on the football field. That it is also a characteristic of 'Roid Rage' does not mean the Harrison is a Roider.
Not that I turn a blind eye to what appears to be rampant steroid use in the league, I just don't think we should accuse without evidence since there may be some players who aren't roiders.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby steelerfan513 » Sun May 24, 2009 10:42 am

I feel the setup for a big fall coming, much like after the McGwire/Sosa home run chase.

I would agree with you, but it seems like the NFL is very willing to forgive and forget these type of things. The year Shawne Merriman got suspended four games for steroids, he still came in third for the DPOY balloting.

You're not the first one to throw out the possibility that Harrison used steroids; all I have to say is you can't assume anything. I wouldn't be shocked whether he had or he hadn't, but he's innocent until proven guilty in my eyes.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby joejlitz » Sun May 24, 2009 3:27 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:
I feel the setup for a big fall coming, much like after the McGwire/Sosa home run chase.

I would agree with you, but it seems like the NFL is very willing to forgive and forget these type of things. The year Shawne Merriman got suspended four games for steroids, he still came in third for the DPOY balloting.

You're not the first one to throw out the possibility that Harrison used steroids; all I have to say is you can't assume anything. I wouldn't be shocked whether he had or he hadn't, but he's innocent until proven guilty in my eyes.

I agree and I hope he is innocent.

I never accused, Mooch. I'm just speculating. And I hope that Roid users in the NFL are in the minority.
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby mattb47 » Sun May 24, 2009 6:00 pm

joejlitz wrote:And I hope that Roid users in the NFL are in the minority.

I would actually be quite surprised if that were the case...but it doesn't mean you toss out unsubstantiated rumors just because you think it fits. Like moochman said, there are plenty of guys that "play angry" and I think there's little possibility that there would be no carry over from playing angry to having some anger issues in other areas of life...doesn't necessarily mean steroids and I would say the same thing no matter if we were talking about a Pittsburgh Steeler or not.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk