Korheiser's leaving MNF! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Korheiser's leaving MNF!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Korheiser's leaving MNF!

Postby Tyeattolah » Mon May 18, 2009 2:34 pm

FInally, I didn't think he would ever leave...worse than Dennis MIller who was in my opinion "horrible!"

"Chucky" in the booth...hmmmmm?
Last edited by Tyeattolah on Mon May 18, 2009 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tyeattolah
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon May 18, 2009 3:04 pm

I'm a big Kornheiser fan: I really like him on PTI, I enjoyed his radio show when I used to listen to it, and I think he was a good columnist as well, but he was bad on MNF. Not only did he bring nothing to the table, he detracted from the broadcast. Tirico may be the best play-by-play guy working right now, but even he couldn't save the broadcast with Kornheiser and Jaws dragging him down. Hopefully Gruden works out, but he doesn't seem well-suited for the booth, not to mention having both a former coach and a former player seems like overkill. I'd rather see a two-man booth.
Art Vandelay
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mrblitz » Mon May 18, 2009 3:16 pm

I liked Tony. I didn't love him. Gruden was an interesting replacement. I don't know what to expect. I saw him during the draft breifly, and I really didn't have an opinion. Certainly can't be worse than Dennis Miller.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby scottaa1 » Mon May 18, 2009 3:18 pm

mrblitz wrote:I liked Tony.

Big surprise there.

Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby steelerfan513 » Mon May 18, 2009 4:21 pm

I'm with knapplc on this one; football is about football, not the announcers. Apparently the John Maddens of the world have convinced ESPN that they need to get an amazing team of announcers together for people to watch their games, but the game sells itself. They just need to get a passable group of guys in there that won't make people cringe or change the channel.

I don't get why ESPN feels the need to have a three-man team. Why not give Tirico and Jaws a shot at running a normal, two-man broadcast? It seems to work for every other network that shows football games. Bringing in an inexperienced guy like Gruden could work, but the odds are definitely against it. I had no issues with Tirico or Jaws this year; Kornheiser was the one that brought the quality of the broadcast down.

The best thing ESPN could try to do, if they don't like Tirico and Jaws, is sign one of CBS or FOX's best teams like they did with Rick Reilly from Sports Illustrated.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby The Lung » Mon May 18, 2009 7:17 pm

HALLELUJAH!!!

HALLELUJAH!!!
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby The_Captain » Mon May 18, 2009 9:22 pm

I'm glad Tony's gone - I found his commentary vomitous at best and added nothing to the booth dynamic. I found him annoying and distracting for the task at hand (as was previously pointed out) which WATCHING THE D**N GAME (thanks Randy Galloway).

Now, I'm not totally convinced Chucky is the right choice as Kornheiser's replacement. What I love about watching MNF with Tirico and Jaws is the passion in their voices during the game and the excitement they exude when calling the game. I don't get that same feeling from Jon Gruden. He's fairly dry and I don't think brings the "excitement" to match what Tirico and Jaws have. The old saying of "too many cooks spoil the broth" really fits with ESPN's desire to seat a 3-man MNF team.

"This is your captain calling--with an urgent warning" - The The
The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby joejlitz » Tue May 19, 2009 11:49 am

knapplc wrote:They just need to stop trying to create some kind of dream team and go with people who understand the game and who won't get in the way of the game. I watch MNF to WATCH FOOTBALL, not to see some glammy team of announcers. It's like they think the announcers are the star of the show. They've totally lost sight of the focus of the show, which is why we've had this parade of booth-sitters who detract from the game.

100% Let's just watch football. I am so sick of MNF's preplanned dialogue that cuts into the action. They eschew replays all of the time on big stuff (penalties, big hits, etc.) so they could continue rambling and it annoys the piss out of me. Also - who cares about the sideline reports? They don't do replays during sideline interviews either and it drives me nuts. Stop prescripting and just talk about the game as it is played!!!!!!!!!!!

"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby joejlitz » Tue May 19, 2009 11:52 am

joejlitz wrote:
knapplc wrote:They just need to stop trying to create some kind of dream team and go with people who understand the game and who won't get in the way of the game. I watch MNF to WATCH FOOTBALL, not to see some glammy team of announcers. It's like they think the announcers are the star of the show. They've totally lost sight of the focus of the show, which is why we've had this parade of booth-sitters who detract from the game.

100% Let's just watch football. I am so sick of MNF's preplanned dialogue that cuts into the action. They eschew replays all of the time on big stuff (penalties, big hits, etc.) so they could continue rambling and it annoys the piss out of me. Also - who cares about the sideline reports? They don't do replays during sideline interviews either and it drives me nuts. Stop prescripting and just talk about the game as it is played!!!!!!!!!!!

*SIGH* :-° Deep breath. :-° Someone hand me my blood pressure medicine, please.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby TheDiplomats » Tue May 19, 2009 1:02 pm

Thank god. ;-D Maybe now I wont have to mute MNF.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk